Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh my goodnes gals! I knew I didn't get much sleep last night but did I ever have a nap today! Hey maybe I missed the hotest part of the day???

Do you ever have a day when fresh juicy vegetables are just the best thing? I nibbled as I prepared supper and can hardly wait. Local tomatoes!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #17  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Stiebena--My trainer has been a huge help; I consider him to be the number one factor in my success. I'm certain that I would have quit going to the gym early on and wouldn't even have gotten to the point of counting calories if it hadn't been for his initial confidence that I could lose weight (when I was full of doubts myself). The training sessions really gave me the boost I needed to get started. It sounds like you are well beyond that point, but I still think you might find a trainer helpful. I'm going on two years with my trainer and I'm definitely past the point where I need him for motivation, but I continue the sessions because 1) His weight training workouts are far more intense than the ones I do on my own; 2) His workouts are far more interesting than the ones I do on my own; 3) He pushes me to do things I wouldn't do on my own; 4) I have cardio down, but I still feel like I need help figuring out weights (esp. on form); and 5) For a few days a week, it's nice not to be in charge, to not have to figure out what I am going to do for exercise and push myself but to just show up and do what he says.

SusanB--I agree, nothing beats locally grown tomatoes (except maybe for the ones you grow yourself ). I have a bowl of farmers' market cherry tomatoes on my counter right now that will be going into our salad tonight!

GreatChoice--If you like goat cheese and live near a Trader Joe's, they sell a lite chevre that is amazing. Only 35 calories an ounce and it tastes just like regular goat cheese to me. Plus it has a cute little picture a goat on the package! BTW, the Arugula, Roasted Tomato, and Goat Cheese Salad is a Cooking Light recipe, if you want to make your own salad.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #18  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm, thanks Barbara...I'll have to think more about hiring a trainer. They're expensive, but it sounds like it would be worth it!
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default Rockin' Monday

Sounds like everyone is having a great start to this week. Congrats to all (I've been out in the equivalent of 45 degrees C all day so too burned, inside & out, to do individual congrats).

I briefly lost a dog this morning - quite the adventure. She's fine and so am I. Surprise! In the past I would have stopped at the grocery store on the way home and bought cookies and started eating them in the car. Got fruit instead .

Very stressful (still waiting to her from her owner) but I didn't respond with "bad" food. I guess I didn't feel the need to punish myself or something equally psychologically weighty (ha, ha) like that.

It's 8 p.m. and I'm ready for bed - WHEW!

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Dagmar (still in the no pie zone)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #20  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Glad you had a relief moment, Dagmar.

Hi to GreenT!

Congrats on One Pound Down to dawnslight and stiebena!

Dawnslight, stress can definitely manifest itself in chest muscles. I know several people who have experienced that.

Barbara, I think I'd posted here before that I'd gotten 2 diff BF numbers from calculations, too. Guess the real info is in the personal change. Yet, it would be of value to have an absolute number that would compare when reading articles, chatting, etc. So, good for you to have that in your future.

Doughnut, I think if someone could "foretell" that I would have exactly such-and-such a health benefit (caloric or otherwise) from mopping my kitchen floor I'd do it more wholeheartedly!!! (And have a cleaner kitchen)

Well, here's my report so far on the first of my 2 July "seven-days no-white-flour". Do I know my body or what? Predicted I'd be stagnating after some initial loss -
1st day - one pound of above-ticker weight down
2nd day - 2nd pound of above-ticker weight down
3rd day - exact same scale number
4th day - exact same scale number
5th day - exact same scale number

My next prediction has to take into account that tomorrow will likely be first day of TOM! lol. Likely no change until 7th day or even 8th because of that. But I know that good eating/water habits right through PMS time are still cumulative even if they don't show when you wish they would.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #21  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My body fat % came in at the lowest it's ever been! Around 22%, which is excellent. In fact, I probably won't be able to get it much lower than that. This also gives me an idea of which of the three websites that calculate using the Navy method is accurate.

Doughnut and Whittlin--I hate cleaning even if it does burn calories. As much as I hate exercise, I hate cleaning even more. I'd much rather burn my calories at the gym.

Stiebena--It's true, the personal training can be expensive. But I've also found out by reading the discussion forums on my gym's website that the price can sometimes be negotiated. If you get to the point where you are ready to sign up with a trainer, it won't hurt to ask if there's any way to lower the price. Say something like "I really want to do this but the cost is just a little more than I can afford; is there any way we could lower the cost a bit?" and see what they say. They can always say no and you can still sign up for the training, but they might agree to a lower price. I also look at it as an investment in myself. I spend a lot of money on a lot of junk; of all the money I spend, this is the easiest to justify. The personal training is actually prolonging my life (assuming I don't get hit by a bus or something); there are lots of medical problems in my family, from heart disease to cancer to strokes, etc. I am finally doing what I can to make sure I am as healthy as I can be and I feel so much healthier.

Mudpie-- I'm glad you found the dog; that must have been very scary! Congrats on getting through it without cookies (now, me, I'd probably need a glass of wine about now ).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #22  
Still Trying

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Smile

steibena -

One thing we do at my gym to ease the cost of a personal trainer is buddy up. Normally you can hire a personal trainer with some of your friends and split the cost. It just makes it a lot cheaper and actually a lot of fun! It also helps down the road, because your friends can help you remember the key points!

Patty
nometabolism74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #23  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm so excited - 4 more hours till I leave for the airport. It's been a long time since I had a beach holiday and I'm a few pounds lighter than the last one so that makes me feel better.

I can't help being disappointed in myself though. I've let an awful lot of weeks slip by without losing weight and all because I'm lazy. I think it's fair to say that no matter how much I hate cleaning I hate exercise more. At least the cleaning results are instantaneous!
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #24  

Cool Exercise - an acquired habit

I've been doing daily exercise for 30 years now. For the last 13 it's been a given - my job is very physical.

I find I feel odd if I don't work out. I still did whatever yoga stretches were possible and went for a walk when I fractured my wrist this past January. And even when on vacation I get in a lot of walking/swimming/kayaking depending on where I am.

Our bodies were made to move. Even though it's boring and hard to stay motivated for the first little while exercise is a good habit to acquire. It also keeps you young - no one would ever guess that I'm over 50!

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #25  
Doing this for me!

Thanks Barbara and Nometabolism! I've been wanting to get a trainer for some time, but I'm a student, so I didn't really feel that I could justify the cost...BUT you're right, it is an investment into myself and my health. I think I will talk to my parents about it and see what they think

I'm trying to make exercise a daily habit...whether its just walking, or its going to the gym, or doing a workout video. That way perhaps by the time I'm 50, I won't look it either! Good job Dagmar! What do you do for a living anyway?

Enjoy your vacation Doughnut~!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Man it's a hot one
Like seven inches from the midday sun

Even tho I slept in, I got a walk in but whew ... if it's this hot tomorrow, I'd better go earlier.

I'm encouraged by the folks I meet when I go walking. This is something that didn't happen when we lived in the country and I'm kinda liking it. I met a lady with a dog and an older woman on a bike and a young woman with two cute little boys ... Hmmm it's nice.

I think I underestimated this cold. I could just sleep! All that's left is a bit of a drip and a residual cough but sleep! 4 hours yesterday afternoon and 10 hours last night. I have to meet DH uptown for an errand at noon and my first thought was "But how will I nap!?"

I'm really proud of this thread. Proud of everyone in it. You all seem to have figured out a health lifestyle balance. Good food, exercise ... tweaking for a healthy slim body. It's good to read here.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #27  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone,

Sorry I missed y'all last week - but the 4th (and work-related events I have to do that week) threw me for a doozy. And, coincidentally, I was much less on-plan than, well, planned ;P (managed to exercise only three days, and ate more than budgeted for most days of the week.)

But I'm getting back into the grind of things now, but will not be touching the scale until end of this week when I get my water levels balanced, my exercise in steady gear & my calories under control...

On a very non-diet related note, has anyone here used Dryel (or similar products) -- where you basically toss "dry-clean only" items in a special bag with a steam-cleaning sheet and chuck it in the dryer for a cycle? I'm curious, esp. now that I have more dry clean only items, yet too lazy to make my rounds to the dry cleaners.

Stie per Patty's suggestion, buddying up and sharing the cost of the trainer will make it much more affordable. One of my co-workers is in such a program now (a group of like 6 folks sharing a top-of-the-line trainer) and she loves it. So if you can get a few friends who are interested . . .
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #28  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittlin View Post
Hi to GreenT!
Hi Whittlin!

Dagmar I bet I'd like your job. I sit at a desk in an office building all day. I used to work in a department store, though. I miss being on my feet and moving during the day. I've been looking for a job that does not involve sitting allllll daaayyyy.....

stiebena - Maybe your trainer can be another student, if you have a major like Health and Exercise Science at your school. When I was in college one of my friends, whose major was Health and Exercise Science, trained people at the gym on campus.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
stiebena - Maybe your trainer can be another student, if you have a major like Health and Exercise Science at your school. When I was in college one of my friends, whose major was Health and Exercise Science, trained people at the gym on campus.
What a great idea! Easier to make the training sessions too.

Several people have asked what I do - I'm a "professional" dog walker. I take out other people's dogs, in groups of 4-5, for walks while their owners are at work. It just worked out that I have mostly labrador retrievers so I'm known as the Lab Lady. I LOOVE my job, even on days like today with high heat and humidity, and hope to still be doing it for at least another 10 years.

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #30  
Doing this for me!

Hi guys!

GreenT and Aqua - I think I'll check out group personal training sessions...I think my gym offers them. Sadly I can't hire a fellow student as a trainer because I use the school gym, and if they find out that you're hiring an outside trainer they revoke your membership But I suppose I should just suck up the cost and do it...I'm lucky as it is - the school gym is much less expensive than most other gyms. Private personal training sessions are $30/hour...is that good or bad?

Dagmar - wow, your job sounds so cool! I volunteer at the hamilton spca once a week walking dogs - its a lot of fun, and it feels so good to be helping out all those poor puppies!