Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I would think that at your height, and with the working out you're doing, you're at a really good weight. 22% body fat is low - I would wager that you're very muscular. You're not eating much, considering the workouts. Is it possible your body is kind of in "starvation mode"?

Do you mind my asking what level you're rowing at ie. high school, college, etc.? Because I have a really hard time with coaches pressuring young, fit, healthy-weight women to lose weight based on some stupid weight class criterion. At any level, but particularly if you're still in your teens (though I don't think you mentioned). SO many girls end up with eating disorders from the pressures within their sport to be thinner than their bodies are meant to be (gymnastics, skating). Don't jeopardize your health over this.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Breakfast: Oatmeal, soy milk, banana (approx. 400 cal.)
Lunch: Cheese sandwitch, some sort of fruit (approx. 450 cal.)
Dinner: Changes, but tonight was subs (approx. 450 cal.)
Snack: Handful of nuts and raisins, sometimes a few chocolate chips. (max. 200)
You definitely need more protein in there, fruits and vegetables too... they have soy protein drinks if you don't drinK whey powder because if you don't drink milk, whey is made from milk. I'd keep away from the cheese too, empty calories, IMHO... for supper have a huge salad of chickpeas and cut up tofu....

You don't mention your age, but you do sound younger than the rest of us, I'm 50, so anyone's young .... This is the problem I find with young people (16-20ish) becoming vegetarians, unless you read about it extensively, you lack the proper information to get the right nutritient and vitamins. Most vegetarians should also be taking a vitamin supplement, I think... This is just a personal opinion, so don't y'all go attacking me, ok?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #18  

Hard boiled egg whites are an easy, transportable way to get low-cal protein. Boil a bunch of eggs every few days and just grab-and-go in the morning.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #19  

Here's what I think: You may want to get your doctor's opinion, and not just your coaches (who seems to have something to gain by your losing weight).

It may be that you need more calories in your diet to lose weight based on the workouts you're doing and that your body is hanging on because it isn't getting enough as it is. If that's the case, cutting your calories will only slow your metabolism farther.

In order to lose more I had to add in 250 more calories, and I started dropping weight again.
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #20  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I used to be a vegetarian (even vegan for 4 years...now I am veggie + fish) and though for years I heard that we really don't need so much protien I am beginning to think that for me more protien seems to work better.

Egg whites and low fat cottage cheese are good veggie sources of protien. Soy products in moderation help and don't forget beans. Assuming that you want to up your protien intake.

Good luck with everything. 22% body fat is quite healthy. At 137 that would be 30 lbs of body fat -7lbs is 23 lbs of body fat. which would make you about 17% body fat. This sounds low but I am not too sure. I know athletes can be lower than the average 20-25% reccomended. You might want to check with someone more knowledgeable than me.

An easy way to loose lbs is to cut out salt completely.

Good luck
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #21  
Fat Chick

S/C/G: 163/147/128

Height: 5'7"

I am in my teens.
I've been a vegetarian for a while, and I usually do take a multivitamin.
I think from the majority of responses, I should add more protein in my diet, and if that takes me up a few calories it won't hurt much.
I'll try it. Thanks.
Nikki_20216 is offline   Reply With Quote