Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #1  
susan1502

Unhappy It's about the fruit....please help????

I have done South Beach, in the past. (no fruit during phase 1) On the fat smash diet, it is all about fruit for the first 9 days? Why does one diet discourage it and the other one promote it? Fruit or no fruit----what is the reasoning behind it??? Thank you, Sue

P.S. My doctor likes the concepts of the South Beach diet better. She isn't too thrilled about a diet that promotes a lot of frui t, but I am not sure why??
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #2  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I don't know. I myself would be leery of a diet that doesn't promote fruit. Go here to see why fruit is so healthy for you!

World's Healthiest Foods
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5' 7 "

Hi Susan~ In my opinion... Fat Smash doesn't actually "promote" fruit. It is true that fruits are unlimited, but so are veggies. You also incorporate beans, egg whites, brown rice, oatmeal, yogurt, skim or soy milk, and herbal teas. It is a pretty balanced plan. You are supposed to eat until you are satisfied. I try to eat something from each of the food groups daily. I haven't ever tried the SBD... but I don't think it is good to eliminate a food group. It seems that the SBD is more "low carb" and the FSD is just healthy eating.

Sherry
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #4  

I've never followed SB so I can't say for sure, but it seems that Fat Smash promotes eating whole foods in general, whether it is whole grains, veggies, or fruits. Is SB somewhat carb restricting as I thought? If so that would be why fruits are prohibited early on as they are rather high in sugar, though they are natural sugars (provided you arent eating canned or frozen which may have added sugars). I notice other diets as well downplay fruit as well, telling everyone it's high in sugar so you shouldn't go overboard. While I tend to agree with this, I think most everyone will agree with me that it is better to indulge in an extra piece of fruit or so daily, rather than eating candy or cookies.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  

SBD only restricts fruit and carbs the first 2 weeks. It's all about healthy eating of food that hasn't been processed to death. Why is the choice only fruit or candy and cookies? A handful of nuts if very nutritious and healthy.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #6  

Quilter, not sure if you were responding to my comment about fruit, but I'll assume you were. I simply meant that when craving something sweet, fruit is going to be a healthier option over cookies, chocolate, etc. I don't know why you brought up the nuts though. I think they are a perfectly healthy snack as well, though because of their high fat they need to be eaten in moderation as anything else. However, if I'm craving sweets, a small handful of almonds does nothing to squash that craving!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #7  
IALAC

S/C/G: 225/204/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
I did do SB and am currently on Fat Smash. I like them both for the same reasons... I like the phase theory of cleansing/detoxing and building up from that foundation. I think the philosphy is just a focus on a different foundation... in SB the first phase is very restrictive as is the Fat Smash... but in SB you focus on protiens and foods that will not spike your blood sugar. Fat Smash is just a different focus.. foods that are high in fiber... (fruits and veggies and whole grains such as oatmeal and brown rice). Both encourage lots of veggies. In SB the fruit is added in later. In FS the lean meats are added in later.

That's just my take on it. As I said I like them both. I'm not an expert though.