3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Fat Smash Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fat-smash-diet-211/)
-   -   Coffee Vs. Latte (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fat-smash-diet/120497-coffee-vs-latte.html)

Spacy Stacy 08-15-2007 04:55 PM

Coffee Vs. Latte

Ok, so I need a little help on this topic!

I'm a coffee lover. At least once a week I like to get a latte before work. I get nonfat milk and one Equal. That's it.

So if I can have coffee now, why can't I have a latte? We're allowed milk and sweeteners, but still can't have a latte?

Is there something behind this reasoning that I'm just not seeing? Thanks!

Suzanne 3FC 08-15-2007 05:17 PM

Good point! Does latte usually involve whole milk and sugar?

As long as you know how much nonfat milk is going in it, I personally don't see a problem with it. Just as long as it doesn't lead to harder things, like biscotti :lol:

settie 08-15-2007 05:18 PM

I'm not on this diet but your heading intrigued me. I too love coffee and lattes. The only thing I could think of - especially if you are allowed milk - is that when the book was written no-fat lattes weren't a common thing so he was thinking whole milk?! ;)

Spacy Stacy 08-16-2007 03:07 PM

A latte is simply espresso and steamed milk, with a higher percentage of milk to coffee. Any additional sweetners/flavors are additional. I always get mine non-fat.

You have a good point there, settie! I never thought of that! But I get nonfat milk and sugar substitute, so I think I'm good!

Thanks, guys! :)

Idealmuse 08-16-2007 03:12 PM

Stacy - I'm not on Fat Smash but I have a latte or two every day and they don't seem to cause issues with me.

I think the protein in the milk balances out the carbs or something. I can take small amounts of syrup in mine without issue, but if you have no sweetner and use skim milk I totally don't see it being an issue.

I like the idea of the fat smash diet but all those rules are confusing. I say do whatever works for you... if you find the lattes are causing stalls or cravings then re-examine it, but if not... why not enjoy? :)

Robot 08-17-2007 04:55 AM

I think when Dr. Ian says no Latte, he means the whole milk kind. A friend of mine used to work at a coffee place and told me that whole milk is better in lattes because it gets more frothy when steamed than nonfat milk.

Spacy Stacy 08-17-2007 12:05 PM

I do have to agree that a latte made with whole milk is much superior to a nonfat milk one! :)

PinkyPie 08-17-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggielady (Post 1818933)
I think when Dr. Ian says no Latte, he means the whole milk kind. A friend of mine used to work at a coffee place and told me that whole milk is better in lattes because it gets more frothy when steamed than nonfat milk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacy Stacy (Post 1819306)
I do have to agree that a latte made with whole milk is much superior to a nonfat milk one! :)

I hate to be a know-it-all, but I guess I'm going to be anyway :lol:

since a latte has more milk than foam, it really doesn't matter about the "frothiness" of whole vs. skim. Besides that fact, where I work (which is a big green coffee company if you know what I mean ;) ) it's actually the skim milk that froths better. In my experience it always has (I've been making lattes and cappo's for a good 15 years and always with skim milk).

But that's just my opinion of course. I just have to totally disagree with these two quoted statements.