Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/230/185

Default EFS, am I burning too much?

Ok, first post, so woot for me!

I just started the Extreme Fat Smash Diet on Monday, and I was real enthusiastic. My problem is, I think I'm burning too much to sustain myself, physically.

In my general afternoon workout (which I've been doing for a few months, now) I burn anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 calories. When I was eating 1,600 cals, it was fine with me. But, when I started this, I realize I'm very possibly eating less calories than I'm burning, AND I started burning more, since I did the extra workouts Dr. Ian prescribed.

I know that, say I ate 1,200 cals and burned 1,200 cals, it's like I ate nothing at all, and my body has nothing to go on, but now I'm in the negative, and I've been in the negative for a couple of days. I'm honestly afraid of not doing the excercises, though, because I really don't want to deviate too much from the plan.

Any advice?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3

It sure doesn't sound like that would be a safe to continue for long. If you have a physician or advice nurse you trust and can call for advice, you might want to do that and see what is safe for you to do.

How are you calculating how many calories you're burning? If it's via a calorie counter on a treadmill for example, I've heard that they are notoriously unreliable, though the ballpark might be correct. Are you exercising more minutes than the book recommends? Do make sure that you're eating the recommended snacks and the full amount of food recommended and that your meals and snacks are the best bang for the buck nutritionally-speaking and not empty or really low calorie snacks. I was a regular exerciser before EFS and found that I really needed to eat a 3rd snack to keep from feeling weak.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  

I agree with everything Quiltz said. I had to slowdown my workouts near the end due to lack of energy which I believe was from lack of calories. Of course, everyone is different and will have different results and experiences.

I used to think I burned a lot more calories than I did until I got a heartrate monitor with the chest strap. I don't know what kind of workout you do, but it takes a lot to burn that amount of calories.

Personally, I this that EFS isn't the right diet for someone who works out really hard and for long periods of time. I completed the first 3 weeks and am back on week one. This time, I am doing it differently in which I will eat the third snack when I need it and will workout daily but the way that I want. For example, instead of doing the recommended 60 mins of cardio yesterday, I ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes and felt great and feel great today.

It's a three week commitment, and I agree with Quitz to do no more than the recommended exercise so that you can hope to keep your energy levels up so you can still function throughout the day. Remember, it's just for three weeks and you will get results if you follow it closely.

Good luck and congrats on sticking to it!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #4  
Amanda

S/C/G: 160/147/115

Height: 5'2"

If you feel fine then keep doing it...it's not dangerous..it all matters on how you feel forget about the facts...cals in vs. cals out and being in the negative etc. To much number calculating can really bring people down..I don't see a problem in eating less and exercising more...you're going to lose alot and as long as you're still eating and feel good then do whatever works for you!