Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #16  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Well this is a very interesting thread to find here at 3FC! I ususally hang out in the IE, Whole Foods and LWL sections but I'll definitely be checking in here from time to time.

I have an aversion to organized religion in general but have always been intrigued by Buddhism as it seems like such a kind religion. Admittedly I know nothing about it but recently bought the book The Essence of Buddhism by Traleg Kyabgon. It's been sitting on my bedside table for three days. This thread's got me thinking I'll start it tonight.

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey CinnamonGirl,

There are so many kinds of Buddhism--but all the legitimate branches rely on the Buddha's teachings.

Good luck with your search!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:13 AM   #18  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hello Beth I know some Buddhists would say you should pick a particular path and then join a school/organisation, but personally, I tend to view things on the personal and that it is the individual journey that counts.

I've been contemplating about the "buff girl" thing and agree with Jay. When I first started out on the Buddhist path, I found it difficult to distinguish between "want" and the extreme of "desire". The way I try to define a "want" is that it is something to strive for for a good reason, in a balanced and realistic way, and with reasonable expectations. Wanting to be fit and healthy is, depending on your school of thought, a Buddhist principle in itself (i.e. Shoalin). I would say you'd also have to comtemplate what would happen if you reach your ideal weight, look in the mirror and do not meet your own expectations.
Cbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Greetings, Boobear! Glad to "see" you here!

Cbooth, that is an excellent point about "what if you look in the mirror and don't meet your expectations" after reaching your ideal weight. Wow! It's true I suppose that people sometimes think losing weight will fix everything--"now my life will work"--and that they will then have this amazing body. I know that several posters on 3FC have been worried about things like "what if my skin is saggy," etc. Well, it's just a great way to look at expectations, isn't it? I know that I will have some saggy skin when I'm all done--I already do. But my goal isn't to look a certain way, it's more to have better health and well being.

Boobear, tell us more about how you use meditation in weight loss. "Meditation" means different things to different people. I know what you mean about the "challenges"--nothing like an artificial situation geared to make people feel bad.

Jay
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #20  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Meditation

Boobear - I am also curious about how you use meditation in weightloss.

I've been looking at the Zen method of mindful eating and a nice lady on *********** has told me about the American Indian method giving thanks and taking your time with every chew so I will look more into that too.

I have also given up on challenges as I have never managed to pass a one. I think they are good for some and not for others. I set myself "doing" goals - I shall eat healthy, be mindful of what I eat, meditate, walk, etc. But I set no figures for those scales, although may say I'd like to lose ... pounds, etc this week. I've taken this approach as I think the scales can be a battleground of desire. Either that or hate.
Cbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yeah, Cbooth, hate might one of those things...

But it is interesting to see what the mind does (by which I mean the ego) when it can't control an outcome. For example, the scale goes up, the scale goes down, the scale doesn't move... and our thoughts and emotions go wild! And yet... the scale really doesn't exist... it is all relative reality...

A great opportunity to practice!

Jay
Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi all

I know there are very few of us around that are interested in Buddhism or actual Buddhists (or maybe there are some in hiding). I'm not Buddhist but I think Buddhist teachings are fascinating.

JayEll, I see in the first post you say you are Buddhist. Are you also vegetarian? I believe most (?) Buddhists are due to the believe of not killing a living creature.

I know this may sound weird, but I'm working on being a vegetarian (with little if any dairy) and I don't really know why. I mean I have a few small reasons but no overwhelming large reason. My taste for meat has actually waned over the years is probably the largest reason. I also want to be able to try to challenge myself with my food if meat isn't an option.

Anyway, that is just me
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey nelie! Good to see you here.

Many Buddhists are vegetarians, but many are not. The Buddha said that we should not reject any food we are offered--and in some cases there are cultural reasons why meat is eaten. In Tibet, for example, there are not a lot of alternatives. But many Buddhists think it's strange to follow the precept of not killing sentient beings and at the same time to eat meat or poultry or even fish.

The Dalai Lama would like to be vegetarian, but his physician says that he must eat some meat. So he eats it every other day and says that at least he is "half vegetarian."

One of the Buddhist precepts is not to use intoxicating substances, and I'm always surprised at how many Westerners try to ignore this one, while insisting on being vegetarian (which isn't a precept).

I myself am not vegetarian, but I wish I could be. My body doesn't do well with a vegetarian diet. Perhaps that will change, though!

Jay
Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #24  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Cbooth, I have tried to PM you but can't. Do you have your PM option for receiving messages turned off?

Jay
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #25  
Just Me

The "half vegetarian" thing is funny considering when I told DH that we were going to eat less meat, he called us "halfterians". I can understand why in Tibet there are few options so it makes sense DH is currently reading a book by the Dalai Lama and he likes it, I plan to read it after he is done.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
But it is interesting to see what the mind does (by which I mean the ego) when it can't control an outcome. For example, the scale goes up, the scale goes down, the scale doesn't move... and our thoughts and emotions go wild! And yet... the scale really doesn't exist... it is all relative reality...
Jay,
You put into words the issue I've been dealing with for the past two weeks. I've been fixated on the numbers and grumbling because they wouldn't go down. I needed a good reminder to get centered and focused again!

Also, I'm interested in hearing more from BooBear about the meditating/weightloss connection.

Hope all is well.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #27  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

BooBear, that is just sooooo Buddhist in outlook! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us. I agree with every one of those pillars of mindfulness.

Jay
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #28  
it's always something

I am very interested in learning more. Can you suggest any books? There are a million on Amazon and it's kind of confusing.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #29  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hello, Suzanne! Welcome!

One good book is "How to Practice" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Interestingly, "Buddhism for Dummies" is a pretty good general introduction to Buddhism.

You could also try "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

For meditation as BooBear described it, I'm going to check out "Full Catastrophe Living," by Jon Kabat Zinn (sp?).

Yeah, there are a million books! And some are better than others.

Jay
Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #30  
Just Me

One of the books I read is "Awakening the Buddha Within" which is an interesting book but you do have to look past the arrogance of the author. "How to Practice" sounds interesting and I'll need to look at that one.

DH is currently reading "The Universe in a single atom" which I will read after he is done. He says it was a little dry in the beginning but is starting to get good. DH has another good book but I'll have to find it.