Old 09-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #151  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HI GALS ~

I heard this on the way home from Los Angeles yesterday, thought it was something you may like.

the mirror
By Lisa Abeyta
Tribune Columnist
August 28, 2006

I woke up this morning and found that some fat woman had invaded my body. I'm not sure how long she's been around, but from the size of her middle, I'd say she's been sneaking up on me for quite some time.

SMART BOX
Abeyta is an Albuquerque writer and mother of three. She'll chronicle the ups and downs of dieting the second and fourth Fridays of the month.

Contact her at Diet Diaries

Read Lisa's blog

I still picture myself much as I looked on my wedding day. Or how I looked when I sold fashion clothing to snobby women back before my children wreaked havoc on my stomach muscles.

The larger sizes I have to buy at the store are a fluke, some sort of weird cosmic trial of my patience that I thought every woman faced. It is kind of like the final test to see if a woman is worthy of being a mother.

But today that fat lady looked back at me and let me know she was here to stay. She wasn't going to melt away like some wallflower at a sweet sixteen dance. She was gearing up for a good long stay on my hips. She planned to eat her way through a few more desserts, a lot more Mexican food, and as many emotional upsets as I was willing to throw her way.

She promised to help me cope with the loneliness of staying at home all day while the kids went off to school and my husband went off to be someone important behind a nice desk and fancy chair. That fat lady said she could even help me feel like a part of the working world every time I'd buy her a cafe mocha at Starbucks. There was talk of me tagging along with friends to try out the newest dining craze in town. And she even promised to try any recipe I was willing to develop.

That chubby woman in the mirror was one persuasive talker.

I almost fell for her promises, but then I looked at her chin and realized there was a second one growing right below the first. Now I don't remember a lot about anatomy class, but I recall that we grow another set of teeth, not another chin.

She raised her arm to comb her hair, and I was horrified to see a small sag on the underneath side. Biceps bulge on top. Anything bulging on the bottom just doesn't belong.

And her thighs.

The horror. It would take the milk from several cows to make that much cottage cheese. Enough said.

This fat woman in the mirror - I realized I've been avoiding her for years, scurrying by the reflection with my eyes averted as I headed to the shower. She deserves her privacy, after all. You shouldn't just stare at someone when they're in their birthday suit. It's rude.

Now that I think about it, there are a couple people at my health club's locker room who haven't learned that lesson yet, but I certainly have. All these years, that woman in the mirror has had all the privacy she's needed.

But this morning, I looked just a little too long. And when she started talking like that, letting me know she wasn't going to go easily, I knew it was time. She was a visitor who'd failed to see she'd worn out her welcome.

She's been angry at me all day, dragging me into the pantry to parade me past all the goodies that she likes so well. Vanilla wafers almost fell off the shelf as she pulled me in. The cake mixes vied for attention, competing with the last fudge brownie mix. Even the stale chips looked attractive.

I smiled politely at this fat woman trying to convince me not to make her leave. It's for the best, I tell her, hoping she'll understand.

All day, she whined and complained. After a while it grated on my nerves. The telephone pierced an eardrum on the first ring. My boys' laughter sounded like fingernails on the chalkboard. And the dirt movers digging out the arroyo next to our home snapped my last link to sanity.

It's almost evening now, and she sits sulking in the recliner. I can tell what she's thinking by the look on her face. Tomorrow will be better, she thinks. I'll tire of this silly diet by then.

I'll take her to Whole Foods and just happen to go by the display of single-serve desserts, where she'll tempt me with the coconut cream cake. The vanilla cheesecake. Or maybe the flourless chocolate cake. The fat lady thinks I won't be able to resist that one.

But I plan to win. She's made me grouchy now, and she'll pay. I'm not giving in that easy.

The days are numbered for the fat lady in the mirror.

If you go to her drlaura dot com website I think they may have a link to read it daily, not sure though.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #152  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Default Saturday Morning

HI LADIES ~

Well, I am back home for the week-end. Not too much going on here though for us. Angie, Amanda and Zac, brother and sil, and I are going to the Norweigen Fish Club tonight for all you can eat fish, potatoes, bread and veggies ~ and to see my ex-wife get initiated into the club. It can be pretty wild with all those that dress in their Viking garb (we don't! ~ we are boring! . Should be fun, I will be missing the big football game between Texas and Ohio State though...my son won't be! What kind of kid would pick watching football with friends over his mom's initiation into a Viking club? Mine!

My mom is doing much better, although she will never be well. I talked to her for 20 minutes yesterday, the first she has felt like talking much in awhile. Reba is doing a little better too. Although she was in the vet's all day yesterday getting more x-rays, no disk damage is showing up but she still is partially paralyzed (AND IT DOESN'T KEEP HER FROM RUNNING!) on her hind leg. She was given more medication for the inflammation, hoping that helps. Angie has both mutts out for a walk right now.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PRAYERS FOR MY CONCERNS!

LAVONDA~

MARGIE~Good to see you. Are you "READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL ?" The reception for Ryan and Nicole's wedding is in a country club restaraunt banquet hall, I am pretty sure they have a bar with a TV there ~ and seriously, who is gonna miss the dad of the groom? Could be a problem though since the dad of the bride is as big a fan of USC as Ryan and I are...humm...could be a problem....but if CAL is as bad as they played last week, the game won't matter much, USC could win with their 2nd string...not counting on that though!! For your daughter's tennis! I know what you mean about seedings, my daughter's fiance plays a lot of tournaments and does pretty well, however, because of the tournaments he plays in he, at times, has to face pros like Taylor Dent. He doesn't mind too much unless it is in the first round! And as far as he being "worth it" for my daughter ~ Not even close!

AUNT SUE~ Painting? and decorating? Sounds like your apt. is coming together, how long ago was it that you moved across the "yard" anyway, about 6 months? Lara is having a lot of fun so far (she is the kind that could have too much fun though if she doesn't be careful) she is smart enough to stay out of trouble though so I have high hopes! Glad your neice is enjoying Ohio so far ~ how is "our" neice doing?

REBA~ Beaches in Alabama? Looks pretty. Sorry about the sprain! Ice~Ice Baby

Well gotta run off to do some work for a teacher friend of ours....

WORSHIP! OUR LORD
Old 09-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #153  

Wow! What a neat thread! You all are so encouraging. It is nice to have Christian encouragement when you feel so hopeless sometimes. I am a Baptist and my church is very small. There just aren't a whole lot of us to talk to. I live in a small town just outside of Phoenix, AZ called El Mirage. Are there any of you from AZ? The weather is finally getting cool enough for some seriously long walks/runs now. About time! I am doing well on my diet. I lost another pound for a total of 9 since last Friday. It is starting to scare me though that it's coming off so fast. I hope I am getting all the vitamins I need. Hope you all have a blessed Sunday and work week!

LaVonda
LaVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #154  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

09~11~01 May We Never Forget ~ God Bless Us!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #155  

Default Hi there!

Wow! Hard to believe its been 5 years since 9/11 happened.
We have to remember to keep our leaders and country in prayer, as well as our armed forces.

Lavonda- You sound like you are doing well, as far as if you are taking in enough, should take minimum a multi- vitamin and make sure you get enough protein, so you don't loose muscle tissue. Sounds like you are doing well though over all.
E.Z.- our niece is wonderful to cute and full of bullets, she talks a mile a minute... She can sing Jesus loves me now, which is way to cute, hearing her sing...I am closing camper on last weekend of this month and going to Ohio to see Kristie over Columbus day so that will be fun... Glad puppies are better, long haul back recovering. Yeah, the bathroom came out nice, overall getting close, gotta clean out pantry and a couple closets then start shifting winter clothes and summer clothes, hard to believe actually had a frost last night. Fall is here.
Margie Glad your doing well, hard to believe fall here already. summer went to quick..DD did well on second game, which is always encouraging. Probably will improve with rest of season, have fun making friends which is always a good thing.
I am doing well I have an apt with Dr. Lirio to talk about bypass surgery will keep ya posted how that is going. Gotta run but your in my prayers! Remember to pray!

Last edited by doitforme; 03-18-2018 at 04:37 PM.
doitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #156  
Quit counting at 45!

Default Good Morning!

It's the beginning of my second week of holidays. Our company is gone and now we get to work!! We plan to paint the trim on our house. It's looking pretty shabby and will really spruce up the place. We spent yesterday going to open houses and getting ideas of things to do to our place. We had actually thought of upgrading to a new house but when I walked into our house I realized that I really like it and we'll probably stay here and just fix up and add things we really want to it.

I had a great time with my sister. It was so good to connect with her again. I really miss having family close by.

Gary: It's so great to see you back posting regularly again. My prayers are with your mom. It's hard to see our parents getting older isn't it? My DH is quite worried about his dad. He has heart problems and they can't seem to pin point what's really wrong.

I'm glad Reba is doing better. It sounds like she hasn't slowed down any.

Your daughter's dress is gorgeous. Can't you just wait to walk her down the aisle? (Yeah right!! I'm sure you'll have many different emotions on that day.)

My kids are all doing great. The married ones are still very much in love. It's really neat to watch. The youngest is back in school and enjoying it. Hopefully a good job will come from this. They do practicum with companies that would hire him when he's finished so that's really hopeful. His knees are much better after the physio he had and his spirits are back up too. He's even lost 10 of the 3 pounds he gained while he was sick.

Reba: What lovely pictures! We don't see water that colour up here. I hope your ankle's doing much better.

doitforme: I'm glad you're doing so well. Keep it up! I'm really enjoying having my niece here. We spent Sunday afternoon together and she'll go with us this weekend to another niece's wedding. I think we'll have a lot of fun together. I also know that when she makes some close friends at school we won't see all that much of her.

LaVonda: A big welcome to you. I read your post about what you're eating and the only thing I see missing is the grains. It's important to eat the grains to keep your system moving and also the selenium for brain cells. Other than that it sounds very healthy. Keep up the great work.

My prayers are with those who lost loved ones on 9/11. It affected us up here too and I'm sure those scars won't heal quickly. Let's pray that it doesn't happen again.

Have a wonderful day! I'm off to scrape windows.
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #157  
Quit counting at 45!

Default Where is everyone?

It's been a week since I last posted. I miss all of you.

I am going back to work tomorrow. I'll be busier than usual because of hiring and training 2 new employees but it'll be good to get back into a routine. We had a great holiday though. My niece's wedding was lovely and it was great to visit with family again.

I didn't eat too badly while we were gone but I'll be glad to get back into the routine of having my salads again. I did a lot of walking (well, shopping) so hopefully some of the calories are gone.

Have a good night!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:23 PM   #158  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HI GALS~

Not much going on around here I see. I will be working closer to home starting on Tuesday, not much, but enough closer that I won't stay in a hotel probably.

Got the wedding invitations for my son's wedding yesterday...coming soon. My future daughter in law took our class at church yesterday for becoming a Lutheran in our church, she enjoyed it very much. She went to church with my son today at the late service, my ex and I had gone to early service (Angie was at her sister's for her sister's bachloreete party) but Nicole was so excited that they had asked her and Ryan to read during service, I felt so bad because I had seen the bulletin on Saturday (Ryan brought it home from the class Nicole went to) and saw that there was a lot of reading parts ~ I always have to read ~ so I waited until the last minute to go into church, hoping that they would have already picked readers. Normally it isn't a problem with me but today I had a bit of a snotty nose issue going on with a cold!!

Well off to bed ~ 3:00 comes early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 226.6/190/160

Height: 5'4"

I am trying to find an activity to do that will give my knee a break. I have some pain in it when I walk now. Any suggestions?

Last edited by scalewatcher; 09-18-2006 at 11:28 AM.
scalewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #160  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HELLLLLLOOOOOOOO...anybody out there?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #161  
Quit counting at 45!

There's an echo in here. HEEELLLLOOOO!!!!

Scalewatcher: Glad you found us here. I wish I could help you with regards to your sore knee. I don't really have an answer for you. Hopefully someone here will know what you're going through. Maybe doing some weight training or stretching exercises might make it feel better.

Gary: You sound like my DH with the hours you work. I hope you're recovering from your cold. Take care of yourself.

Isn't it great to see your kids interested in church? I love seeing my guys and DIL be active in ours. You know your church has a future because they'll be training their kids to do this too.

Well, better get off to bed. It was a crazy day today. We interviewed 4 people and still have two more positions to fill. I have a lot of work to catch up on from being away on vacation.

Good Night!
Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #162  

Wilma thanks for you advice on the sore knee. I am so glad to have found you all. I am thankful that there is a Christian Encouragers group included on 3FC. Hope evryone has a blessed day

Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

sorry I haven't been around much... life has been crazy...

thanks for asking... the ankle is doing much better... i wore the ace for a week or so....

Gary... yes... alabama has beaches... at Gulf shores.... but I was actually at Destin Florida...

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #164  

Default Hi there!

I am doing fine, been really busy. We took our clients camping this week as a vacation for them, weather so far has been pretty good, although rained today. They are suppose to go on cruise on Lake George tomorow so I really hope that the weather is good. Pray all is well with you guys.I have Dr. apt next Thurs. hopefully that goes well.
E.Z. here is a couple pics of our niece. luv you guys , have a great day!Sue

Last edited by doitforme; 04-01-2008 at 07:05 PM.
doitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 AM   #165  

Hey everyone how are you doing. I have been do better except for my sore knee. I have started the Biggest Loser Challenge. Please remember to pray for me that I will do well.