Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #1  
I'm a homeschool mama

Post Christian Stay At Home Moms

I've been here before on a different thread, but that didn't last. They weren't the Christians that I wanted to be involved with.
My name is Crystal, I'm almost 28 years old. I've been married almost 10 years and have 4 children. Alisa 6 1/2, Ally 4, Andrew 2 1/2 and Allison 5 months. I live in Texas and we homeschool.
I'm just now trying to get back on track to losing. Everytime I lost in the past, I'd get pregnant. Now dh got fixed during last pregnancy so unless God has other plans, that shouldn't happen.
I don't like to follow any specific diet. I use common sense with some exercise and ALL of God's help.
I'd love others like me to join in with me on this journey. We can support each other and maybe some friendships will bloom.
Any of you want to join?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #2  
4 gr8 ones

I wanted everyone to know that I'm mamawithdreams. I updated everything since the last time I visited was 5 months ago. Now I hope some of you will join me.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I'm definitely in! I just turned 29 in June and am a CSAHM with two children. I'll be venturing into the wonderful world of homeschooling this next year so this weight loss is something that I want to do for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Hello!

I'm also a CSAHM. I feel a little guilty though that I haven't gone to church for a few months! We still pray daily at home, so we're not far away from God at all. We're just not sure if we want to stay at the church that we are members at right now. As for you homeschooler teachers, I do envy you! I've always had the thought of homeschooling, but I'm not that organized and my ds has ADD. My children attended a Christian school until they became middle schoolers and are still very well-rounded kids that I'm proud of. I also have ADD, so I'm almost definitely sure that homeschooling would not work out for us. Now, as for weightloss... that's a totally different ballpark! I know I can do it, ADD and all, as I've done it before. I am at my highest weight that I have ever been at, including at all my fulll-term pregnancies! Can you all say a "little" prayer my way? I want to be healthy and be here for my kids & family. Well, I've got to scoot right now, b/c my dd has a dentist appt. to go to.

{{HUGS}}
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #5  
4 gr8 ones

Welcome Jackie and FrugalChick, btw, what's your name?
I'm so glad there are others out there like me. How would y'all like this board to work? Let me know and we'll come up with a plan. After I hear your plans I'll talk about what I'd like.
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #6  

My name is Iva (pronounced eye-vuh). I'm not sure how I want this board to *work*. I guess this can be another journaling of sorts. Successes (praises) and failures (prayers)...just a constant flow of support. *shrugs*
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #7  
4 gr8 ones

Okay, I was a member of another board before and during my last pregnancy but ended on not so good terms. However, I loved the way we worked. I mean there were ALWAYS new posts to read and I eat when I'm bored so if I have new messages to read then I'm not bored. I don't like a board that goes days without any posts and such. I like to always have things to read and people to post to. Let's weigh in on Mondays and each day lets say our good mornings and pump each other up for the day. Post at any time of day that you are down or close to be tempted to eat something or not exercise. And each evening post what you accomplished that day. Each week at weigh in lets discuss a new goal for that week. It can be a continuance of other goals but at least one main thing we are going to work on individually.

I'll state mine that I'm working on this week.
1 drinking more water, not enough but more
2 getting into that "frame of mind" so to speak and get motivated
3 cut back on snacks

I'm a big snacker so this one is hard. I'll still snack but I'm trying to snack on fruit and yogurt and WW snacks.
What do you all think?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Thumbs up

Hi!

It's me again! Thanks for the welcome! I used to post on the SAHM's thread that was started a few years back, but after a few years I believe it has vanished from the boards. Spryng, where are you?? (She was one of the regular poster's on that thread.) I quit posting because it was so time consuming and I had a lot of eggs in one basket at that time. I'm not sure on how much I'll post now, but I'll try my hardest to post on a regular basis. As for format- maybe we could start out with "mini" goals that would perhaps include at least 15-20 min. of exercise p/day, 3-4 days p/wk and a goal of maybe 1-2# per week. If we can accomplish more than that, more power to us! And maybe our favorite bible verse, or a bible verse of the week? Here's my favorite bible verse: "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!"
Psalms 118:24 Want to know how this became my favorite verse? Well, it all started out one Sunday morning a few years ago when I "played hookie" from church. My dh and kids wanted me to make something special for breakfast and a bowl of cereal was not on their minds! I wasn't in the mood to cook that morning, perhaps b/c of PMS ?? So... after quite a bit of griping, moaning and a few sigh's, I got out the eggs. (At this point, my dear family could tell that I wasn't in the best of spirits!) As I was grabbing one of the eggs out of the carton, one of the eggs decided to "stick tight" to the carton and I lost my grip on it and the ENTIRE carton of eggs landed on the floor. That's when the screaming really started! All of a sudden I went from a raging scream to laughing hysterically! (At this point in time my family must have thought that I had totally lost it.) Want to know why I started to laugh? When I opened up the egg carton, not ONE egg was broken and inside the top of the carton was this bible verse that the manufacturer had stamped inside! I guess I'd better sign off for now, b/c dd wants the 'puter. TTFN!

One more thing: I decided to proof-read this post and to my surprise I started out this post with "too many eggs in one basket" (No punn intended!)
I also like the other suggestions on how to set up our thread.

Last edited by Freckles; 07-07-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #9  
4 gr8 ones

Jackie, I remember seeing your posts every so often on the other sahm thread. I too posted there until I said something that others didn't like and they asked me to leave. I have bad memories of that. I stayed in touch with Spryng for a while, but haven't in a very long time.
I like your ideas, although I don't know that I can stick with exercise EVERY day, I know you said a few times a week and I should try that. With four kids I just can't "plan" anything.
Try to post daily at least so we know how you're doing.
I love your story about the memory verse.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Talking Hello!

Hi everyone!
Id like to join your thread!
I just quit my pt job in mental health to stay home with my son-a great decision!
I also live with my younger sister and her 7 year old dd..so I sort of have 2 kids! I am actively involved in my (small) church in my (small) town, and can really see God doing BIG things!
I too was at my heaviest just a few months ago-also more than in my preg.(i can relate Freckles..)
and I had tried all kinds of programs, exercise, and supplements....One day God gave me a revelation that I was eating because I wasn't filling myself with Him, I was focusing on losing weight because I was comparing myself to other women who I thought looked like they had it together, and I wasn't asking Him,(and fully trusting) to help me to get healthy!
I have been putting God first, and one thing that has helped me is to try and start my day with a quiet time-First Place Bible Studies I find really great!
So with God's help, I have been on the BFL program, doing First Place Bible Studies and using a lot of their program too, and since Feb. I have lost lbs, inches, and feel a lot more capable of keeping up to my 2 yr old!!
I also just found out Im expecting another baby-so God's timing to get healthy was perfect!
I think this thread would be a great idea- I can usually post daily- sometimes things get too hectic though....
I am keeping on with my healthy eating and workouts- just lightening them up a bit.
Looking forward to hearing from you ladies!
Have a great day !
Blessings
Karla
Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #11  

Cool Hmm, maybe not such a good thing

I tend to say what I think and think what I say. And there is nothing I hate worse than *drama* And I pray that none of that happens here. We're here to help one another lose weight while keeping our focus on God.

I like the thought of mini goals...but I kind of have an on going goal:

1. Drink 4 bottles of water a day (each one is 16 oz)
2. Walk at least 10,000 steps a day (this is the equivalent of 5 miles)

I actually keep a walking log (to keep me honest) and it's exciting to look down at pedometer at the end of the day to see if I've met my goal.

I'm currently doing Leslie Sansone's Walk the Walk -- 2 mile in the morning. And sometimes during the day (for a total of 4 miles just for the video alone).

Weigh ins are a great idea too!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #12  

Oh...and my favorite bible verse is Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

But I found a slightly different version in my bible and I actually have it on my homseschooling log too:

"I have the strenghth to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me."

I chose that for my homeschooling log because it somehow fits...especially on those days when things won't go so well...

And I think it fits here too...just thought I'd share (see...I told you I say what I think...not always a bad thing )
Old 07-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #13  
4 gr8 ones

Welcome again to all...Iva and Karla. Can't wait to get started with this. I'm so glad this thread took off like it has already.
It'll take me a few days to really get in the swing of things. I have to work slowly or I tend to get overwhelmed and discouraged. Homeschooling can make a good day bad or a bad day good so I have to meet in the middle with weight loss.
So far I've cut back alittle with snacking today. We'll see how the rest of the day goes and tomorrow for that matter.
I'll check back later.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #14  

I really think -- and know this sounds trite -- but it's the little things that make the biggest difference. Cutting out on the snacking (or cutting the high fat/calorie snacking) and not eating after 6 pm (something that I've seen a lot of people do)...really will work.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #15  
4 gr8 ones

Okay I just got the date for my 10th year high school reunion. Now I don't know that I'm going for sure, but I do know that if I don't lose SOME weight I won't go at all. Now I was 140 when I graduated and we all know that's not going to happen. But for my mini goal I am stating now at this point on July 7th at 4:45 that I will work my tooshie off to lose 25 pounds. That is an average of 2 pounds a week. I don't think I'll lose 2 lbs. a week but I think I'll lose about 10 lbs. in the first two weeks from water alone. So it can be done. That would put me in a comfy size 16 I think or a tight 14, if I can find those clothes that are mis-sized, LOL!!!
So that's my goal. Help me and pray for me. Now I'm hungry just thinking about it.
Closed Thread