Old 08-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #226  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters
August 9

John 8:10-11
When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, 'Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?' She said, 'No man, Lord.' And Jesus said unto her, 'Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

'
The doctor was going to kill her. Kate had been told to lose thirty pounds over six months. For awhile she had done really well. She took off twenty in the first three months, but lately she had gained again, for a net loss of only about twelve pounds. Kate was astonished when the doctor merely encouraged her to try harder. Christ, like the doctor, offers us no condemnation. He wants us to lose weight for our own sakes, not for His. He wants to help us, not hurt us. Take comfort in the acceptance of Jesus Christ.

Today's thought: Even when I give in, I'm still a good person.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #227  
Trying to live below 200

August 10

Romans 2:11
For there is no respect of persons with God.

Andrea was furious. She hadn't wanted to go on the hike in the first place, and now she was falling farther and farther behind. No one would give her time to catch up. Some of them were even laughing at her. It wasn't her fault she wasn't in good physical condition. She had to carry around a lot more weight than they did. It just wasn't fair. In this life, we don't get a lot of breaks. Just because we're overweight doesn't mean we deserve special treatment. God doesn't give preferential treatment. He wants all of His children to be the best they can possibly be. He expects us all to do our best.

Today's thought: I am trying my best to please God!
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #228  
Trying to live below 200

August 11

Luke 7:50
And he said to the woman, 'Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

'
God will help us as we diet, but the weight of the responsibility still lies with us. We have to really want to lose weight. God will not do it for us. Faith is the key to unlocking God's power in our lives. When we put our faith in God, He is able to lead us in new ways. He fills us with strength, courage, purpose, and the will to succeed. God has already placed those qualities in each one of us. Faith is our way of allowing God to show us how to use what we've already got. Let us remain open to God so we can succeed in losing the weight that doesn't need to be there.

Today's thought: God has given me everything I need to fight fat!
Old 08-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #229  
Trying to live below 200

August 12

Ephesians 2:4-5
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved).

It really isn't a matter of whether God loves us more if we are thin than He does if we're fat. God loves us the same, no matter what. He loves sinners as much as He loves saints. His greatest desire, though, is for His children to be everything they can be. He wants us to desire perfection. The gluttony and selfishness that lead to obesity are not qualities of perfection. God wants us to attempt to live our lives as Jesus lived His. Let us vow to walk in a newness of life, transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit, on the road to Christ-like perfection.

Today's thought: God can make me better than I ever dreamed possible!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #230  
Trying to live below 200

August 13

Isaiah 40:1
'Comfort ye, comfort ye my people,' saith your God.

Josh was feeling down and depressed. Nothing seemed to be working out for him. His job was a nightmare, his social life was even worse, and he was lonely. He sat alone and ate. His weight had skyrocketed. He wouldn't eat so much if he had someone to talk to. His main problem was that he just didn't have anything else to do. Often, the most comforting thing we can hope for is someone to spend time with. Company gives us pleasure and takes our mind off eating. It is up to us to find people to spend time with when that is the only reason we sit and stuff ourselves. God sends us comfort in many ways. Seek the comfort of company.

Today's thought: I'm never so tempted to cheat as when I'm alone!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #231  
Trying to live below 200

August 14

Colossians 3:15
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Scott was cranky. He had been on a diet for two weeks, and it wasn't getting easier. Now his friends wanted to drag him off to some stupid prayer meeting at the church. Begrudgingly, Scott agreed to go. Before long, his mind was off of food and onto the message the pastor was delivering. Scott got caught up in praying for the needs of others, and he completely forgot about his own hunger. The time passed quickly, and Scott was surprised. His friends just smiled and told Scott that there was a lesson there for him somewhere. When we turn our attention from ourselves to others, great things can happen.

Today's thought: I want to care for others as much as I care about myself!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #232  
Trying to live below 200

August 15

Revelation 21:3
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, 'Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

'Cathy decided to make a contract with God rather than a promise to herself. She vowed that she would lose weight for Him, not for any vain or selfish reason she could come up with. Somehow it was easier to do for God than it had been for herself. The pounds melted more quickly. Cathy continued her diet with regular prayer and recommitment to the promise she made to God. Before long, Kathy had lost all the weight she set out to lose. Our promises to God are very important. Often we can do for Him what we fail at for ourselves. God has promised to help us whenever we need Him. He will help us lose weight.

Today's thought: My diet is more than a wish; it is a promise to God.

Last edited by Diana3271; 08-15-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #233  
Trying to live below 200

August 16

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Joining the group was the best move she ever made. Fay had struggled alone through a dozen diets with no real success. Then she saw the notice on the church bulletin board about the group that dieted and exercised together. She was a little hesitant at first, but finally she decided to give it a try. What a difference it made! Dieting with a group was much better than dieting alone. Fay felt that God had really led her to this group. She gained so much strength from her new friends, and she was amazed at how much she was able to help others.

Today's thought: A diet for two is easier to do!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #234  
Trying to live below 200

August 17

Psalm 121:4-5
Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.

The Hebrew people had great confidence in God. They believed His promises to them, and they lived their lives accordingly. No matter how difficult their situation got, the children of Israel held onto their faith. Through that faith, they were able to do amazing things. The God of Abraham and Isaac is also the God of Jesus Christ. If we will put our faith in Him, He will enable us to do amazing things. He will allow us to lose the weight we need to lose, and He will comfort us when our diets get particularly tough. Trust in the Lord. He is watching over you.

Today's thought: I'd better watch what I eat as closely as God watches me!
Old 08-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #235  
Trying to live below 200

August 18

Matthew 10:29-31
'Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.'

Jeff was suspicious. He couldn't figure out why his friends were trying to be so helpful with his diet. What could they possibly get out of it? Whenever he was with them, they avoided talking about food, and they ate salads and cottage cheese instead of normal food. They wouldn't even have dessert. It made Jeff feel a little awkward and guilty. He couldn't believe his friends would go to so much trouble to help him out. Some people wonder whether or not God really cares about their diet problems. The fact is, He cares about everything that is important to us. Take comfort in the fact that God cares deeply, and He will do everything He can to help you.

Today's thought: God thinks I'm great, with or without weight!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #236  
Trying to live below 200

August 19

John 3:17
'For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.'

Guilt. Every time Liz slipped, she felt guilty. Her husband gave her such disapproving looks. She wanted to stick to her diet, but it was hard. Then, when people made her feel guilty, she got depressed, which only made her want to eat more. The more she ate, the guiltier she felt; the guiltier she felt, the more she ate. It was a vicious cycle. She wished people would be more understanding. She honestly believed that would make all the difference. We don't need pressure put on us by those who condemn us for not being perfect. That's why God is the perfect diet mate. He supports without condemning, and He loves us even when we fail.

Today's thought: I can do wonderful things with God's support!
Old 08-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #237  
Trying to live below 200

August 20

Luke 10:41-42
And Jesus answered and said unto her, 'Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

'
Angie brought home a new diet book each week. She had a closet full of exercisers guaranteed to take off pounds and inches. She had a cabinet full of pills, powders, and liquids bearing promises of miraculous weight loss. Cindy just shook her head. Why go to all the trouble? Losing weight wasn't going to come from anywhere except from inside the person who wanted to lose it. Desire was the main ingredient. It was too easy to get caught up in fads and fancy claims. A quiet determination to lose weight was what was really important. Angie lost a few pounds, while Cindy lost many.

Today's thought: It's hard to lose weight when you have a fat head!
Old 08-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #238  
Trying to live below 200

August 21

2 Timothy 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Gary couldn't believe what he was hearing. He hadn't been selected for the mission because he was just a few pounds overweight. Harrison was trimmer, but that didn't mean he was any better as a pilot. How could they turn him down because of a few pounds? Often being fit is determined by how trim and slim we are. It may not be fair, but it shows the value that is put on keeping in shape. God wants us to be in shape so we can enjoy this life we have been given to the fullest. He intends that we should always be ready to experience all that life has to offer. We can only do that when we take proper care of ourselves.

Today's thought: I am making myself fit for life!
Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #239  
Trying to live below 200

August 22

Titus 3:4-5
But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.

It was a miraculous metamorphosis. Darleen had lost one hundred pounds. Though everyone encouraged her as much as possible, no one really believed she could do it. The proof was before their eyes: Darleen looked great. Someone asked her how she had done it, and she told them that a crisis in her life had made her realize she didn't just need to lose weight, she needed to be saved from her own body. She fell in her kitchen and had not been able to get up again. Through her pain and frustration, she believed she was being taught a valuable lesson. She thanked God that He had gotten through to her before it was too late.

Today's thought: Save me from being a prisoner to obesity!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #240  
Trying to live below 200

August 23

Romans 8:35-37
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.Christ makes us conquerors.

He offers us unimaginable power through the Holy Spirit. Nothing can separate us from that love and power. That power enabled Jesus Christ to conquer death. It allowed the apostle Paul to conquer his afflictions. It allowed Peter to overcome his doubts and fears. If the Holy Spirit could do that for those great men, then why shouldn't we be able to believe that the Spirit will help us lose weight? Indeed, we can even conquer obesity through the divine power of God. Nothing can stop us from achieving our goal, because the power of God is with us.

Today's thought: I will burn up calories in the fire of the Holy Spirit!