3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Faith Based Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups-127/)
-   -   Devotions for Dieters 2020 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/318396-devotions-dieters-2020-a.html)

Diana3271 02-12-2020 08:14 AM

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

February 12

2 Peter 2:9
The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished.

I remember when I proposed to my wife, I wanted to call home and let everyone know. I called, but the line was busy. I was so excited that I just sat and kept dialing until I broke through. I must have called a hundred times before my efforts paid off. I finally got through because of persistence. Persistence is one of the most important ingredients of a successful diet. The Bible tells us often that God is pleased by our persistence, and He will reward us for it. God will deliver us, if we will keep trying no matter what happens. Just don't give up!

Today's thought: No matter what happens, I will keep trying to lose weight!

Diana3271 02-13-2020 08:40 AM

February 13

James 1:12
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

What a great feeling! Kim had gone to the party dreading all the comments of her friends. When they found out she was on a diet, she knew her friends would try everything they could to get her to eat the scrumptious food that would be available. It hadn't been as bad as she thought it would be, though. Her friends had tried to tempt her, but she had resisted. It had been difficult, but now it felt great to know that she could be strong when she really needed to be. If she could resist the temptations of her friends, she could resist anything. For the first time since she started dieting, Kim began to really believe she could do it.

Today's thought: The Lord provides special strength for each new temptation!

Diana3271 02-14-2020 06:08 AM

February 14

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Perhaps the worst part of dieting is the guilt that accompanies the desire to break from the diet at any possible moment. For some, dieting becomes a challenge to see how sneaky a person can become, but inevitably guilt creeps in and spoils everything. Dieting requires a good spirit and a hopeful outlook. We cannot expect to maintain a good state of mind when we continually condemn ourselves for our failures. We need to resolve to try harder and then forget our failings. When we can forgive and forget, we stand a much better chance of a successful diet.

Today's thought: Valentine's candy adds to the flesh; the Word of God is less fattening!

Diana3271 02-15-2020 09:18 AM

February 15

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, 'My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.' Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The little boy tagged farther and farther behind his parents. As his father turned to tell him to hurry up, the little boy sobbed, 'I can't hurry. I'm too tired. Carry me.' He stopped where he was and lifted his weary little arms. During our diets, we often feel just like that little boy. We just cannot go on anymore; we just do not have the strength. That's when we need to turn to God. In our weakness He brings us strength. You will be amazed at what great endurance the Lord gives to those who stretch out their arms to Him.

Today's thought: The Lord lifts us up from temptation when we reach out to Him.

Diana3271 02-16-2020 07:13 AM

February 16

Isaiah 30:21
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, 'This is the way, walk ye in it,' when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

Diet plans come and go. Weight comes off, weight goes back on. One thing will not change, and that is the loving kindness of the Lord. When the frustration sets in, the Lord is there. When we lose our patience, He will forgive. The Lord is our closest ally and our strongest supporter. We may decide that a particular diet plan isn't for us, or that we need to try something new, but we can never afford to turn away from God. God will help us with whatever plan we choose to follow.

Today's thought: Any attempt I make to lose weight is incomplete without God!

Diana3271 02-17-2020 11:08 AM

February 17

John 16:33
'These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.'

Sometimes we just get tired of dieting. It takes a lot of energy to diet, and without the foods we love, we're sometimes too weak to fight any longer. Our diets become bigger and bigger burdens. If we're not careful, we can lose sight of the fact that our diet won't last forever. All things come to an end if we will only be patient enough to wait. It helps to remember the temptations of Christ; how He triumphed over them, and then, before long, how they ended. Dieting is not punishment, but discipline. Though it can be a tribulation, losing weight carries with it a special joy.

Today's thought: As the fat fades, so does the tribulation!

Diana3271 02-18-2020 07:59 AM

February 18

Romans 16:20
And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

I remember going to a cafeteria with my friend once while I was on a diet. I told my friend that I was only going along to keep him company, but that I wouldn't eat anything. Once there, however, I was drawn to a particular piece of German chocolate cake. I debated with myself for the longest time, then finally gave in and went to the counter to buy it. On my way back to my seat, I turned too quickly, and the cake fell from my tray to the floor, where I proceeded to step on it. I always felt that perhaps God was trying to teach me something. The source of my temptation did indeed end up under my feet!

Today's thought: Food wasted is better than food waisted!

Diana3271 02-19-2020 07:53 AM

February 19

Revelation 3:21
'To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.'

The ultimate goal of our Christian walk is to be like Jesus. The ultimate goal of our diet is to be trimmer and more fit. Both goals require great discipline and commitment. Both goals carry valuable rewards with them. It makes sense to combine the goals whenever we can. If we will diet prayerfully, constantly relying on Jesus Christ for comfort and strength, then we will please the Lord and lose weight at the same time. With Christ we become overcomers, and we are promised that we will share in Christ's reward in our heavenly home!

Today's thought: I cannot be beaten, as long as Christ is on my side!

Diana3271 02-20-2020 08:06 AM

February 20

Psalm 37:5
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Alice Layden was a woman with no self-control. As long as I knew her, she had been terribly overweight. I hadn't seen Alice for over two years when she showed up one day on my front door-step. She looked fabulous! When I asked how she had finally done it, she said, 'I asked God to help me, and I just kept asking Him. Every morning, every noontime, each evening, and anytime I felt hungry, which was almost all the time, I just said a little prayer for God to get me through. He did it! After I thought I'd just about run out of things to try, I found what I should have known all along. God did for me what I was unable to do for myself!'

Today's thought: The more time spent in prayer, the less time left to eat!

Diana3271 02-21-2020 08:10 AM

February 21

Hebrews 9:23
It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices then these.

I took a youth group to a play on Good Friday once while I was fasting. All I could think of was how hungry I felt. I was a little cranky, and I found it difficult to concentrate on the play. Suddenly, I looked at the face of the young man who played Christ. His face was contorted with the pain and suffering of our Lord. I looked at a face which truly mirrored everything Jesus had been through, and I was ashamed at myself for the self-pity I had indulged in. When I compared my minor discomforts with the true sufferings of Jesus, I realized I had nothing whatsoever to complain about.

Today's thought: I will think of what I have, rather than what I have not!

Diana3271 02-22-2020 09:03 AM

February 22

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

David was driving everyone crazy. He seemed to breeze through his diet while everyone else struggled. At first, everyone assumed he was cheating on his diet, but when he began losing weight faster than everyone else, they gave up on that thought. It was finally discovered that only one thing made David different from the rest of the group: David was a Christian. He began sharing his faith and told the others they could cast all their cares on the Lord, and God would help them face all their trials and temptations. The group not only lost weight, they gained faith!

Today's thought: As we cast our cares on God, He casts His love on us!

Diana3271 02-23-2020 07:20 AM

February 23

Proverbs 18:10
The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

Kate was so thankful that Dennis was willing to spend time with her. Since she started her diet, Kate had tried everything in her power to keep from being alone. When she was alone, she ate. When she was with friends, she didn't feel the need quite as strongly. When she was with friends who understood her, they helped her keep her mind off food. Dennis was one of those understanding friends. He would talk and laugh and make her forget all about eating. He made himself available as much as he could, and Kate was truly grateful. She felt he was a fortress she could run to, where she would be safe from the temptations of food and drink.

Today's thought: God gives us places of refuge when we tire!

Diana3271 02-24-2020 08:09 AM

February 24

James 1:13
Let no man say when he is tempted, 'I am tempted of God:' for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

A woman I knew once told me, 'If God wants me thin, He'll make me thin. Besides, He wouldn't have made so many tempting things if He didn't want me to eat them.' The poor woman took no personal responsibility for herself, and within a year of our conversation, she was dead. Her heart just couldn't take the strain anymore. Though God will be faithful to help us, He will not do it all Himself. He does not tempt us, nor does He cruelly tease us. He wants only to help us, but we must want to help ourselves.

Today's thought: God is not the source of temptation, but the solution!

Diana3271 02-25-2020 07:45 AM

February 25

Psalm 37:16
A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.

'I know my limits,' Jean said. 'If I only keep a little food in the house, then I won't be tempted to eat too much. If I stock up, I just know I'll end up stuffing myself. It's better to just avoid the temptation altogether.' Often it is better avoid our temptations rather than try to face them head-on. We cannot enter into gluttony if we restrict the amount of food we keep on hand. Often our diets are made successful because of the preventive measures we take.

Today's thought: Knowing our limits helps us limit our wants!

Diana3271 02-26-2020 07:58 AM

February 26

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

The greatest enemy we face as we diet is not food, or the gnawing hunger we endure. No, the greatest enemy we face is the lack of faith we have in ourselves. When the going gets tough, our tendency is to throw up our hands in surrender. That cannot be allowed to happen. As faithful people, we are tied to a special power that comes from beyond us. We are recipients of the holy power of God. That same power raised Christ from the dead and enabled Him to overcome every temptation that this world could throw at Him. With that kind of power, how can we fail at anything we do?

Today's thought: To diet means to do it!