Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #46  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

January 26

Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Once we decide something is wrong, (being overweight, for exam-ple), then doing that thing is sinful. Some may say, 'Well, the Bible doesn't say obesity is a sin.' The Bible does tell us that anything we do that makes us less than God created us to be is a sin. To be pure in heart means to try to do everything we know we ought to do. We ought to regard our own bodies with respect. We ought to be an example for others to follow. We ought to do all we can to be all we can. When we stay true to what we know in our hearts is right, then we will be assured of a place with God in His kingdom.

Today's thought: I will do all I can to be all I am meant to be!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #47  
Trying to live below 200

January 27

Romans 8:6
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

There is a gruesome children's story about a little girl who ate so much that she could no longer move. Then it began to rain, and she died of drowning. Sometimes we try to use terror tactics to get children to do what they should do and avoid things that are bad for them. By the time we're adults, we have forgotten the lessons we were taught as children. There is nothing of any lasting good to be gained from overeating. We need to turn away from what we know is bad, to something better. We need to take seriously the consequences of gluttony, and turn toward God, who will help us change our ways.

Today's thought: I must set my mind on more important things than food!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #48  
Trying to live below 200

I needed this today. Lord, I thank you for the grace and compassion You show me.

January 28

Psalm 57:3

He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

There are going to be days when we feel we just can't do it. Everywhere we turn, there is another temptation, another chance to blow it. Occasionally, we might even give in, but that is no reason to give up. Part of being human means we won't succeed every time we try something. That's okay. When we find ourselves in situations where we give in, that is when we need to call on God, asking for forgiveness, strength, and determination. God shall send forth His mercy and His truth, and we will be able to pick up from where we left off and do even better the next time.

Today's thought: Losing one battle doesn't mean I've lost the war!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #49  
Trying to live below 200

January 29

Job 11:14-15
If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles. For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear.

A vegetarian friend of mine went to a party and was handed a plate filled with wonderful appetizers. He selected one, took a bite, and then-to everyone's surprise-he threw the remainder across the room with all his might. He stood with a stunned and bewildered look on his face. The appetizer had been filled with meat, and his immediate reaction was to throw it as far away as possible. I think of that whenever I am tempted to grab something to eat that I shouldn't have. In my mind, I have to throw it far away, acting like it is something terrible, so I won't give in to the temptation.

Today's thought: I will put far away anything that tempts me this day!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #50  
Trying to live below 200

January 30

Psalm 46:1

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

My grandmother had a favorite picture that showed Jesus stretching out His hand to Peter while they were walking on the sea. It gave my grandmother great comfort to know that if she ever failed in her faith, Christ would stretch out His loving hand to lift her up. Whenever she dieted, she kept that picture close at hand. When the diet got too hard for her to cope with, she looked at her picture and felt God present with her. When we attempt to sacrifice anything, it is good for us to admit that we will have a hard time doing it on our own. When we stretch forth our hand to God, He will always reach back.

Today's thought: When my diet gets toughest, God will be closest.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #51  
Trying to live below 200

January 31

Proverbs 11:18
The wicked worketh a deceitful work: but to him that soweth righteousness shall be a sure reward.

It seems too easy to cheat on a diet. There are so many good things to eat, and it doesn't seem like it could hurt to cheat just a little. The problem is, when we try to convince ourselves that a little cheating is okay, then we never seem to draw the line, and a little cheating becomes a lot of cheating. When we are deceitful with ourselves, we find ourselves in big trouble. It is much better for us to do what we know is right, avoiding the things we know will give us trouble. When we stick to our diets, then we can expect nothing but reward.

Today's thought: There's no such thing as cheating just a little!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #52  
Trying to live below 200

February 1

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

'I can't win,' the woman lamented. 'I give in and eat something, and then I feel guilty. When I feel guilty, I eat. The more I eat, the guiltier I feel, and the guiltier I feel, the more I eat!' Sometimes we feel like failures when we break our diets. We can be swept up in a sense of guilt that makes it nearly impossible for us to stick to our diet. The solution to guilt is forgiveness, and forgiveness comes to us through our advocate, Jesus Christ the righteous. Jesus knows that we sometimes give in, and He loves us just the same. Accept His love, accept His forgiveness, and let go of any guilt you may feel.

Today's thought: I am not condemned just because I sometimes slip!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #53  
Trying to live below 200

February 2

Acts 13:39
And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

I knew a man who tried a new diet about every two months or so. He would buy the newest diet book and throw himself into the program wholeheartedly. For a week or so, he would remain faithful, then, when results didn't occur fast enough to suit him, he'd fall away. He would curse the diet plans, saying they were no good, completely ignoring his own responsibility to stick to the plan. A book, a law, or a set of rules won't have any effectiveness unless we remain faithful to it. The desire to succeed won't come from a book; it needs to come from a deeper source. For us, that source is Jesus Christ.

Today's thought: Christ is better than any diet book!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #54  
Trying to live below 200

February 3

Jude 24
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy.

There was a girl by the name of Jennifer who was always getting herself into trouble because she couldn't say no. She had absolutely no resistance to any temptation. Then she met Beth. Beth was able to be a voice of reason and common sense for Jennifer. Jennifer knew that if she was tempted, Beth would get her through. Jesus Christ can be to us what Beth was to Jennifer; He can be our voice of reason. Whenever we feel ourselves being tempted, we need to turn toward Him. He is able to keep us from falling. When we find ourselves too weak to handle a situation, we can rest assured that Jesus is indeed strong enough.

Today's thought: Jesus can keep me on the right track!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #55  
Trying to live below 200

February 4

Psalm 65:3
Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away.

I remember trying to fly a kite at the beach once. I would run as hard as I could in the sand, and it felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I couldn't run fast enough to keep the kite aloft. Often dieting feels the same way. The harder we try, the farther we seem from our goal. It really doesn't seem worth all the effort it takes. However, we need to hold on. When I tried to fly my kite, a sudden gust of wind came and took it high into the sky. The Holy Spirit of God comes to us just like a gust of wind, helping us reach our goals and making the result well worth the effort.

Today's thought: Jesus will give us the extra lift we need to lose weight!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #56  
Trying to live below 200

February 5

Isaiah 55:7
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

A man I knew loved fried food: meats, vegetables, fish-anything and everything fried. He promised his wife that he wouldn't eat any more fried food, but every time he went into a restaurant, the old smells came to him and made both his mouth and eyes water. Time after time, he gave in and indulged in fried delights. Guiltily, he would admit his transgression to his wife, who would scold him, forgive him, and force him to promise not to fall to the temptation again. Forgiveness is important for us to feel when we fall, but we shouldn't take advantage of it. We must always try our best to keep our promises and not ask forgiveness lightly.

Today's thought: We need fear no condemnation from God when we fall!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 168/working on it/136-139

Height: 5'8"

"The fear of man brings a snare,
But he who trusts in the Lord will be exalted."
Proverbs 29:25
Rachel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #58  
Trying to live below 200

February 6

1 Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

There are going to be times when we feel like throwing up our hands and saying, 'I just can't do it!' Dieting is not easy. Don't let anyone tell you that it is. We wouldn't need to diet if we could eat what we wanted when we wanted it. But know this: God will make sure we can hang on, if we include Him in our diet attempts. He knows how hard it is and how much we struggle. No matter how tempted we might be, He will help us escape it.

Today's thought: There is a way to beat every temptation!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 168/working on it/136-139

Height: 5'8"

Default Hebrews 4:15-16

"For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."
Rachel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #60  
Trying to live below 200

February 7

Luke 22:32
'But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.'

Everyone always wanted Brad on their team. He was tall and very athletic, and every team he ever played for seemed to win. There was also something about Brad that brought out the best in everyone else. It's good to have someone on our side who can swing the odds in our favor. Jesus Christ is just that Someone. He promised His disciples that He would pray for them and they could not fail in their endeavors. He prays for us, too. Jesus is always on our side, and that makes us unbeatable. As we attempt to lose weight, it is vital that we include Jesus in our plans.

Today's thought: With Jesus on my side, temptation doesn't stand a chance!