Old 07-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #196  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters
July 8
James 5:11
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

Gretchen wanted the job so badly. The doctor had told her she had to lose twenty pounds in order to pass the physical. Tina and Ann also had to lose weight to join the company. After a couple of weeks, Tina gave up. One week later, Ann folded, too. They both told Gretchen she was wasting her time. Gretchen didn't care. She held on, got her position, and never once regretted all she had to do to get it. She thanked the Lord that she had the strength to hold on when her friends had given up. Without His help, she never would have made it.

Today's thought: Job lost everything, and God blessed him greatly for what he suffered. If Job can endure, so can I!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-08-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #197  
Trying to live below 200

July 9
2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fail.

Beverly never let her Bible get very far away from her. At the first tiny pang of hunger, she grabbed it and immersed herself in the Gospels. Feeding on the word of God was much better for her than feeding her face, and it always took her mind off her hunger. God wouldn't let her fail. He gave her strength and commitment when she needed it the most. Her diet had helped make her a much stronger person, spiritually. She had seen God's power to help her lose weight, and it had given her even more confidence in His power to do other things. Beverly knew that her diligence and perseverance came from God and nowhere else.

Today's thought: I am keeping God between me and the refrigerator!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-09-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #198  
Trying to live below 200

July 10
Romans 8:18
For I reckon that sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us.

Jimmy was fascinated by the cocoon. He watched the caterpillar work on its new home for hours. Everyday he came in to look at the cocoon. When the monarch butterfly finally emerged, Jimmy was delighted. God works some amazing miracles in nature. It shouldn't be so hard to believe that He will work such miracles in the lives of His people. Losing weight might not seem like a miracle, but for those who struggle with their weight, it often feels as if only a miracle will suffice. If God can transform a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly, He certainly can help us when all we want is to lose weight.

Today's thought: I am one of God's miracles, and He will help me be my best!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-10-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #199  
Trying to live below 200

July 11
1 Corinthians 7:17
But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. . .

Karen got so angry. Her friend Angie had started her diet at the same time Karen began. They had shopped together, eaten to-gether, exercised together, but Angie had lost seven pounds more. It wasn't fair. What was the use of dieting when she couldn't lose weight as fast as her friend? She put forth the same effort, but got less reward. God has made each of His children differently. No two are exactly alike. We are called by God to do our best with what we are given. We may not have the same results on our diet that others have on theirs, but that's okay. God will bless us for what we do and that's what really counts.

Today's thought: God will help me lose my weight without losing my mind!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-11-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #200  
Trying to live below 200

July 12
Galatians 1:10
For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for it I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Granny wanted Ellen to lose weight. She used to offer her bribes all the time, to encourage her. The problem was, no matter how much weight Ellen lost, her grandmother wanted her to lose more. There was just no pleasing her. Instead of helping Ellen lose weight, Granny just made her more frustrated and discouraged. It wasn't until Ellen decided she wanted to lose weight for herself that it really worked for her. She prayed for God's help, and He delivered. Doing it for Granny wasn't enough, doing it for God and herself made it all worthwhile.

Today's thought: The more I care, the less I weigh!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-12-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #201  
Trying to live below 200

July 13
Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Randy couldn't believe how tough Bob's dad was on Bob. What was even more amazing was that Bob didn't seem to mind. Randy would have gone crazy if his own father demanded so much from him. Bob told him that his father was really a wonderful person and that he only wanted him to be the best person he could possibly be. Randy found it hard to believe, but one thing he did know: He sure wished he had as close a relationship with his own father as Bob had with his. Our heavenly Father expects a lot from us. He wants us to be everything we can be. Though He's tough on us at times, He will always stand beside us to help us when we try to improve.

Today's thought: When we aren't tough enough on ourselves, God will be as tough as we need Him to be!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-13-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #202  
Trying to live below 200

July 14
Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

Ron was one of the best contractors in the business. Every job he'd ever started, he'd completed to the client's satisfaction. He never left anything undone. His reputation was beyond reproach. No one ever had to worry when they had Ron working for them. When we rely on God to help us with our dieting, we can rest assured that He will stick with us throughout the entire process. God does not give up. When He begins a job, He finishes it. We can have complete confidence in God. He will help us realize our goal.

Today's thought: With God's help, I can see this thing through to the end!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-14-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #203  
Trying to live below 200

July 15
Colossians 1:29
Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Gail couldn't belive how much her life was changing. All through college, Gail hadn't even set foot in a church. The only social situation she had been comfortable in was where food was involved. College had been lonely and unfulfilling, not to mention fattening. Just recently she had attended church with her new neighbor, and it was like coming home. She felt comfortable and accepted. Her newfound relationship with Jesus Christ gave her a different perspective on her life. She suddenly found a deep concern for her appearance and health. As God became more and more a part of her life, Gail vowed to become the best person she could possibly be.

Today's thought: God's might is greater than my appetite!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-15-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #204  
Trying to live below 200

July 16
1 Thessalonians 3:4
For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

Why don't diets get any easier? Chocolate cake is just as tempting a month or two after you start dieting as it is the day after you start. Time doesn't heal the cravings that go along with diets. There is suffering in dieting. For that reason, a good attitude and strong state of mind are essential for a productive, long-lasting diet. God gives us strength of character and determination. There is no tribulation, even dieting, that God can't get us through. Diets may not ever get easy, but they do get manageable when we add God's strength and perseverance to our own.

Today's thought: What seems impossible, God makes possible!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-16-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #205  
Trying to live below 200

July 17
2 Timothy 2:5
And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

Susan lay looking up at the ceiling in her hospital room. She couldn't believe everything had turned out as it did. Jill had promised the pills were safe and that she would lose weight fast. All the pills had done were to make her violently ill and land her in the hospital. Shortcuts are not the answer. God has given us willpower and a miraculous body that repairs itself if we give it the chance. Dieting doesn't require chemicals or radical exercising. Dieting requires mastery over our base desires and our selfish natures. Rely on God. We need nothing else.

Today's thought: God can do more to help me than anything else I could find!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-17-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #206  
Trying to live below 200

July 18
1 Corinthians 9:12
If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

Betty got so annoyed with Sarah. Sarah had lost so much weight, but whenever anyone asked her how she did it, she told them she couldn't have done it without God's help. That got old really fast. Why didn't she just take credit and let it go at that? Everything had to be a big spiritual production for Sarah! It's hard for some people to actually realize the power that Christians find in Jesus Christ. They can't understand our gratitude and thankfulness. We are partakers in a great and wonderful power, and it is right for us to acknowledge the source of that power. Christ saves lives, and He liberates us from things like obesity that threaten to make life less than it was meant to be.

Today's thought: I will give thanks to God for His help in my diet!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-18-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #207  
Trying to live below 200

July 19
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

Bonnie took a good look in the mirror. Amazing. She never thought she'd look this good again in her life. All the pain and torture and sacrifice was well worth it. She still couldn't believe it. She had dreamed of the day she would feel really good about her dieting, and that day had arrived. What a great feeling! If we will persevere, the day of triumph will indeed come. Like Paul, we need to fight the good fight, keep the faith, and complete the course. God promises to reward those who remain steadfast. Hold on to your dream and God will bless you richly.

Today's thought: I am closer to my goal with each passing day!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #208  
Trying to live below 200

July 20
Philippians 3:14
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Stan lived to please people. He served his church, his job, and his family with total devotion. He was continually asking what he could do for others. There was nothing Stan would not do in order to please someone else. Stan had never worried about his weight until one Sunday when the pastor read that his body was the Lord's temple. From that day forward, Stan worked to make it a fit and healthy temple. Not only was God pleased at Stan's desire to improve himself, but He was also pleased by the example Stan set for others.

Today's thought: I can actually glorify God just by losing weight!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-20-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #209  
Trying to live below 200

July 21
Colossians 4:2
Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.

Jane couldn't believe how much harder it was to diet now that Dottie had moved away. The strength and support of having someone to diet with had been immense. Just having someone to talk to had helped a lot. Now there was no one close by to say, 'No!' The only thing that was saving Jane was her reliance on God. Whenever she found herself tempted and wishing for Dottie's support, she closed her eyes and talked to God. His presence assured Jane, and she was able to withstand temptation. It was good to have God as close as a prayer. For that she was eternally grateful.

Today's thought: Help in time of temptation is just one prayer away!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-21-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #210  
Trying to live below 200

July 22
1 Corinthians 9:4
Have we not power to eat and to drink?

Kevin blamed the diets. Kevin blamed his friends. Kevin blamed a bad childhood, glands, communists, and a government plot. Kevin blamed everyone but Kevin. Kevin tried and Kevin failed, but he never learned to take responsibility for his obesity. We can never hope to get anywhere unless we are willing to take ownership of our own problems. God has given us freedom of choice. We have the ability to abuse that privilege if we so desire. It is our choice, however, and we control our own destiny. Dieting is nothing more than learning to tame a freedom that has degenerated into gluttony. God will help us tame that beast.

Today's thought: I'm in control of my life; my stomach isn't.

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-22-2018 at 07:07 AM.