Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Devotions for Dieters

I signed up to receive a daily devotional a while back. Some entries are really good. I thought about posting the daily one for yall, but I dont want to clog up the board so Im just going to post the new one on this thread and if yall want to read it, feel free.

Psalm 138:7
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.

It was war! Greg looked at the bag of cookies on the table in front of him, and they almost made him cry. Why couldn't he just ignore them? It was as if they had some kind of magical spell over him. Closing his eyes didn't help. Neither did putting them in the cabinet; he still knew they were there. He was determined to resist their pull, but was he really strong enough? When the temptations get to be too much, we need to call on the Lord. In the midst of our stiffest challenges, He will truly save us.

Today's thought: I need God to save me from myself!
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

That is nice, Cara. Thank you for posting it.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #3  

John 14:27
'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.'

Bill felt it was a no-win situation. If he dieted, he felt lousy because he was hungry all the time. If he broke his diet, he felt guilty. It was hard to tell which was worse, the hunger or the guilt. He wanted to trim down, but he loved to eat. He never knew that he'd suffer through so much turmoil just trying to lose weight. Diets can really stir us up. They make us feel physically and emotionally strained. During periods of dieting, we need to find peace of mind and heart. Ask God for that peace. He promises to deliver it to those who ask Him for it. When we need it most, God gladly gives it.

Today's thought: Better to have peace of mind than a piece of cake!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #4  

John 14:18
'I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.'

Joan was such a great friend. Almost every day she would stop by to see how things were going. Joan had been there herself. She had battled her weight for years. It was comforting to have someone around who had made it. Joan looked great. Just knowing it could be done made the whole diet easier, somehow. When we try to lose weight all by ourselves, the struggle is doubly difficult. We all need support in tough times. We can count on God's comfort when we diet. He has promised that He will never leave us comfortless. Believe in that promise. When our diets seem most futile, God will come to us.

Today's thought: With the help of friends, I can lose more pounds!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #5  

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Joining the group was the best move she ever made. Fay had struggled alone through a dozen diets with no real success. Then she saw the notice on the church bulletin board about the group that dieted and exercised together. She was a little hesitant at first, but finally she decided to give it a try. What a difference it made! Dieting with a group was much better than dieting alone. Fay felt that God had really led her to this group. She gained so much strength from her new friends, and she was amazed at how much she was able to help others.

Today's thought: A diet for two is easier to do!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #6  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Outstanding inspiration....
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #7  

Luke 10:41-42
And Jesus answered and said unto her, 'Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.'

Angie brought home a new diet book each week. She had a closet full of exercisers guaranteed to take off pounds and inches. She had a cabinet full of pills, powders, and liquids bearing promises of miraculous weight loss. Cindy just shook her head. Why go to all the trouble? Losing weight wasn't going to come from anywhere except from inside the person who wanted to lose it. Desire was the main ingredient. It was too easy to get caught up in fads and fancy claims. A quiet determination to lose weight was what was really important. Angie lost a few pounds, while Cindy lost many.
Today's thought: It's hard to lose weight when you have a fat head!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #8  

Philemon 7
For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

Phil had a lousy self-image. He felt unwanted and unloved. He looked at himself in the mirror and saw an enormous slob. No one could love that. Dieting didn't even make sense. It was useless. Nothing would ever change. Poor Phil honestly believed he was unloved. He had no reason to change because he saw no hope for his future. How sad that Phil didn't know the love of God. We can proceed with our diets knowing that we are loved and that we are lovable. Just knowing that makes it all worthwhile. We draw strength from the comfort that comes from being loved. That strength ensures that we can lose the weight we want to lose.

Today's thought: Special people can do anything they set their mind to, and I am a special person!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #9  

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Another diet. Carla had tried so many times, and she had never come close to succeeding. She wasn't even sure why she was trying again. She knew it would be good for her to lose weight, but she felt beaten before she even began. What would make this time any different from the rest? What makes one attempt different from others is this: confidence. We really have to believe that we can do it. It should help us immensely to know that God believes in us. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He has equipped us with everything we need to succeed. All we have to do is learn to believe.

Today's thought: What I lack in confidence, I make up for with faith!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #10  

Matthew 7:7-8
'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.'

Barry never really believed that he'd lose weight. That was probably his problem. His heart was never in it. Whenever he got the least bit discouraged, he'd immediately give up. His friends tried to offer support, but Barry always came up with excuses why he should give up his diet. If we want to lose weight, we need to believe in ourselves. Self-doubt is a killer. If we lack faith in ourselves, then perhaps we can overcome it by the faith we have in God. God can fill us with a self-assurance that allows us to do almost anything we set our minds to. Push aside doubt. Be filled with the confidence of God.

Today's thought: With God's help, I'll knock off a few pounds!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #11  

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God was such a big help when Gwen began her diet, but He didn't seem to care much anymore. Lately, Gwen's diet had become almost intolerable. She began to wonder if God knew what she was going through. She had prayed daily when she started her diet, and it had gotten so easy that she really didn't need to pray all the time. Then, it started getting harder. Why did God let that happen? Poor Gwen never realized that God hadn't changed, but she had. She included God all the time at first, then she left Him out more and more. God will help us just as much as we allow Him to. Often we are our own, and God's, worst enemy when we take our lives out of God's hands and put them into our own.

Today's thought: God and I are dieting together!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #12  

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea,I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Ben was afraid to even try a diet. He never had much luck with things that required a lot of willpower on his part. He caved in much too easily. If only someone else would make his decisions for him. He had never been overweight when he lived at home and had his mother around to tell him what to eat and what not to eat. Ben would be the first one to admit that he had no self-control. Unfortunately, we all have to learn to discipline ourselves. God doesn't tell us what to do. He gives us complete freedom, but He will help us have the strength to make right decisions if we ask Him to. Include God, and He will make some wonderful things happen.

Today's thought: True power is the ability to say no!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #13  

Romans 4:21
And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

Jesus Christ turned water to wine, He walked on the water, and calmed the sea. He cured many diseases and cast out demons. He conquered death for His friend Lazarus and for Himself. He promises that He will be with us and that His power is ours as we try to be the people God created us to be. How, then, can we doubt that He will help us when we need to lose weight? Are not the pounds of our flesh within His scope of power? Cannot the chosen Son of God do such a small miracle in our lives as to give us the determination we need to conquer fat? This He can and will do, and much more, if we will but believe.

Today's thought: 'More' brought about my distress; help me, Lord, to live by 'less'!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #14  

Colossians 3:2
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The smells from the cafeteria were more than Blanche could take. Not that the cafeteria food was anything to write home about, but when she was on a diet, almost anything smelled good! She grabbed her jacket and headed out the door. Immediately, the fresh fall air erased the cafeteria smells. The sky was a deep blue, and the white clouds lazily drifted by. The sun was out, the birds were singing, and everything was right with the world. Blanche spent her lunch hour just strolling through God's splendor. Before she knew it, her hunger had passed, and she was ready to tackle the afternoon. The glory of God had lifted her above her earthly passions, and she was grateful.

Today's thought: There's much more to life than lunch!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #15  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

I enjoyed reading these today. They are very inspirational.
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote