3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Faith Based Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups-127/)
-   -   Lent - Resisting temptation (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/293497-lent-resisting-temptation.html)

tyla 03-05-2014 10:26 AM

Lent - Resisting temptation

Anyone want to join me in resisting temptation - especially now until Easter? There's temptation everywhere, let alone those negative thoughts/emotions in our head Let's be strong for Our Lord. It doesn't matter what faith you are. Come join me.

tyla 03-05-2014 01:15 PM

Day 47

eating plan - in range
exercise - 30 minute dvd
Just went to an aerobics class, too!

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

EasySpirit 03-05-2014 05:51 PM

I am giving up bread - - a true sacrifice for me, but one that will also hopefully help me lose weight.

abetterme 03-05-2014 06:02 PM

I'll join. There are a few things I want to give up for lent, actually all together really.
Yelling
Swearing
Distrust
Worries!
Any negative emotion really.
lol

tyla 03-06-2014 04:22 PM

Welcome, EasySpirit and abetterme! Looking forward to being strong together. :D

Today
calories in range
Exercise - dvd

Radiojane 03-06-2014 04:30 PM

I also had a thread going in weight loss support (I think) about lent. I have given up cheese, facebook & swearing. I'm also learning cross stitch.

It's good to see so many people working towards positivity!

abetterme 03-06-2014 05:03 PM

Eh..today has been frustrating. I had to think to myself, don't yell don't yell..could have been better but I wasn't horrible.

tyla 03-06-2014 08:48 PM

Today and yesterday were tempting days for me, too, abetterme!. I don't know why. But I shall get through this! Sheesh! As long as we're in this together, things will get better. :)

abetterme 03-06-2014 09:54 PM

I agree. One day at a time. :)

tyla 03-07-2014 01:50 PM

Day 45 :) So far, so good.

Happy Friday! TGIF

EagleRiverDee 03-07-2014 03:19 PM

I'm not Catholic but I am joining in on Lent. I think it's a good thing to do.

For Lent, I am giving up:
Alcohol
Cheese
Gluttony (overeating)

I also am trying to develop a strong relationship with God, and focus on doing nice things or charitable acts.

For good measure I'm also trying to do at least 1/2 hour of exercise every day during Lent- I have been ill and my exercise had gone by the wayside. So I'm trying to get back into it now.

Radiojane 03-07-2014 03:28 PM

EagleRiverDee I'm so glad to have a "cheese" ally... Most people you tell you're giving up cheese and they look at you like you're crazy :)

I feel strangely at peace since I made the commitment to this. Like what I'm working towards is happiness more than any of my specific goals. I almost lapsed today on the Facebook, but I can do it :)

EagleRiverDee 03-07-2014 03:56 PM

Radiojane-

Likewise, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one too! Cheese is my kryptonite. I can avoid cakes, cookies, pies, etc. But you put something out that's all melty, gooey and loaded with cheese? I crumble like cracker.

Radiojane 03-07-2014 04:44 PM

Me too!

tyla 03-08-2014 06:17 PM

You guys are funny! Thanks for making me laugh! Humor will save us all. lol

Day 44 Rather than count calories, I'm going for health. (Trying to give up things that are not good for my body - like processed foods.) Today I was very mindful of what I put in my mouth. :) I also walked briskly for half an hour. (That's a big deal on a Saturday, because I'm lazier about exercise on the weekends.)

Best of luck to all of us. :goodluck:

tyla 03-10-2014 04:25 PM

Day 42

Eating within range
Pilates this am

EagleRiverDee 03-10-2014 08:45 PM

I'm 100% on avoiding alcohol.
99% on cheese- I went to dinner the other night and ordered a salad and didn't even think they might dump cheese on a garden salad but they did. I picked off as much as I could but inevitably could not get it all.
Gluttony- this one's hard because it's so subjective. I have to eat. I try to eat to the point of being full, but not to the point of being stuffed. I'm avoiding desserts and things like that, because that does strike me as sort of being gluttony although I guess it might more aptly be called decadence. So I'm just trying to use my judgement.

tyla 03-11-2014 06:55 PM

Dee, I think you're doing great! I'm using my judgment, too.

41 days until Easter.
In range
Exercised.

Radiojane 03-12-2014 12:05 PM

I'm failing rather epically on the cheese. I haven't bought any more cheese sticks or the like, but my boyfriend is on a nacho kick and I've had some. Still way less then I was consuming before.

Still good on Facebook and about 99 percent on swearing.

tyla 03-12-2014 12:46 PM

RadioJane, just keep going. You're doing great! We're all in this together. Besides, Our Lord is happy we're trying. :)

Today is 40 days before Easter. Today I take an exercise class. That seems to motivate me more than just doing exercises by myself. Exercise is my struggle, but I keep trying to do my best. Yesterday I went to Church to ask for God's help and strength.

I'm also determined to stay within my calorie range today. So far, so good.

Let's keep trying to do our best. :dust:

tyla 03-13-2014 12:47 PM

39 days until Easter. Yesterday was easier for me! I stayed within my calorie range and had an aerobics class. Today I've planned my meals, and shall exercise later in the day.

We can do this together. :)

abetterme 03-13-2014 12:59 PM

I've been better with the no yelling and more patient so yay me lol even swearing a lot less which used to be really hard for me.

EagleRiverDee 03-13-2014 03:23 PM

I am really struggling with gluttony. Argh. The past two days, I have to say I failed. I didn't eat at any point to the point of being stuffed, but I ate more than I should have. I made fried rice last night (in hindsight, probably a mistake) and had a pretty good sized portion to start with...then went back for seconds.

I'm still 100% on alcohol, and 99% on cheese.

tyla 03-13-2014 04:37 PM

Dee, keep going. All we can do is never give up trying. :) Besides, you've given up alcohol and cheese! Those are hard things to give up!

abetterme, congrats on not yelling, having more patience and swearing less. Giving up all those things takes strength!

We're making progress together. :grouphug:

tyla 03-14-2014 01:39 PM

It's 38 days until Easter. Ate 1350 calories yesterday, and exercised to a Richard Simmons dvd.

Today I've planned my calories - even going out to dinner. Going out for a walk now.

tyla 03-15-2014 07:44 AM

37 days until Easter. Had 1360 calories yesterday.

Planned my meals for today and must exercise. I will do it!

tyla 03-16-2014 10:38 AM

36 days until Easter. Went out to lunch yesterday. Ate 1/2 hamburger and fries for lunch. Other half for dinner. Walked.

Radiojane 03-17-2014 11:38 AM

Ate all weekend for the birthday party and for St. Patrick's day party. Still good on cheese and Facebook. Slipped a little on the swearing.

EagleRiverDee 03-17-2014 02:59 PM

Still good on cheese and alcohol. Ate too much last night- we got invited over for a St. Patrick's day dinner - corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, peas, fruit salad, beer bread, soda bread and kahlua pie. *SMH* Conquering gluttony is definitely the hardest. Oddly, just knowing I can't have alcohol or cheese makes me sort of not crave it although I suspect the closer I get to Easter the more I'll look forward to it.

Bootsie 03-18-2014 09:51 AM

Giving up bread, cookies and worry.

tyla 03-18-2014 05:19 PM

Hi Bootsie, I love your signature saying!

I've miscounted. It's 33 days until Easter. I've been having temptation lately, and my doctor suggested to lay off of starchy carbs like bread. So that's what I'm doing. No more hamburgers and fries!

tyla 03-19-2014 01:15 PM

32 days until Easter.

I felt so much better yesterday when I didn't eat any starchy food.

So far I've had an eggbeaters omelet today, will eat veggies and chicken for lunch and dinner.

tenecgal 03-19-2014 09:40 PM

For my 40 days of Lent which started on Ash Wednesday I gave up carbonated beverages. This is my 15th day without any carbonation. I still want a diet coke everyday but I can do this.

tyla 03-20-2014 07:12 PM

31 days until Easter.
I did great today with no high carbohydrate foods. This is a big deal for me! Not tempted for a change, thank God.

tyla 03-21-2014 05:26 PM

30 days until Easter.

Since I've stopped eating bread and other refined carbohydrates, I feel better. I'm proud of myself, because initially, this wasn't easy. :)

tyla 03-22-2014 04:52 PM

29 days until Easter.

No carbs, feeling good. Just came back from a long walk. :)

tyla 03-23-2014 03:39 PM

28 days until Easter. :)

Since I've given up high carbs, I feel so much better. Thank you, Lord, for giving me this idea and helping me with this plan.

EagleRiverDee 03-24-2014 04:00 PM

Still struggling with gluttony and I think the main reason is I'm a black and white type of person. So alcohol, that one is easy- I can't drink alcohol, period. Cheese, same thing. No cheese, period. But everyone has to eat. So while I'm eating I'm weighing it out in my head- "if I eat that much, is it gluttony? Do I need to still be hungry after eating for it not to be gluttony, or just not stuffed? Is having a piece of pie on my birthday gluttonous?" I think next year I need to stick to resolutions that are more clearly defined.

I've been trying to build my relationship with the Lord through all this- I've been reading scripture (which I do most days) but have added in watching Mass on most days (on Catholic TV) and I'm trying to adhere to the Lenten suggestion of working on charity. And I pray for help with the gluttony, among other things.

tyla 03-24-2014 05:08 PM

Dee, I know how you feel. I've struggled this Lenten season more than other seasons. I think it's because I've allowed myself foods in the last few months, that I haven't had in the last few years. Then I decided to stop counting calories and focus on giving up breads and starchy carbs (anything processed). I haven't had any cravings for about a week. Doesn't sound like much of an achievement, now that I've posted this. But you have to start somewhere. I'm trying to think portion control and better eating - More lean meats, veggies and fruit.

I've prayed a lot about this, too, as I gained weight this year because of emotional eating. I'm doing a lot better. Now I just have to get my exercising in gear.

Let's post to each other on this thread. It helps to give each other support. Good luck to you. I'm praying for you!!! ((Hugs))

EagleRiverDee 03-24-2014 06:18 PM

Tyla-

That sounds great, I agree the support on this thread is helpful. Thanks also for your prayers- I will be praying for you as well!

Dee