Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #31  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
Interesting about the orange slices, one thing I can drink and keep down is tomato juice, Do you suppose it is the acid in tomatoes and oranges that is agreeing with us ? The only problem is the are very low calorie ...

BARGOO -- that could be ... I just know that they worked for me. Yes, they are low calorie that is why I suggested to try some proteins (small amounts at first) to see what you can keep down. My notes told us to focus on them as they were higher in calories.

Also, I recall RONNI telling us that her DAD or FIL said that he found KFC was the best thing for him to eat. One of the fellows in our group said that he would go out and have a big mac after each chemo session; and that helped him keep his weight up and he felt fine. I think it is a trial & error thing, as my DAD found ice cream the best for him. He would go out and buy 3 or 4 of his favorite kinds and ate them around the clock. Sending up more prayers that your anti-nausea pills will work for you and that you will find foods that you can keep down.

We've been keeping busy around here. I cut my lawn yesterday becuz it was gorgeous outside and they were forecasting for the weekend. The pain in my side had finally subsided. I was concerned something was wrong but the nurse that came by the house suggested that I do nothing (meaning no work at all for a couple of days. Sure enuff it was much better. So I have to be more careful with the weed-whacking and lawn work so I don't aggravate this old injury. I hope that is what the problem really was.

Eating has been good; and I have been going out for my walks. The weather was lovely again today (even though they expected otherwise); but it clouded over and cooled down after dinner. I still went for my walk and it didn't after all -- however, that may show up sometime during the night, I'd bet.

Today, I just did light stuff around here; some hand-clipping and sorting and such. Trying to be more careful to not hurt myself. The days are flying by and things are a bit quieter around here for good reason. I prayed and prayed about how to solve an ongoing problem and am thankful that I am finally seeing some progress in that area. Our summer was almost ruined by this situation, but I am so glad that we have some peace around here again. Now, if I can just keep DH on board with me, we'll be fine (it's hard when his memory is so bad; I have to remind him daily).

RONNI -- hope your dinner went well tonight; and that you sort out your intolerance issues too.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #32  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Rosebud-yes, the dinner went well! I had made too much of the bbq pulled chicken, but better too much than not enough. Putting it in the freezer for later. Might need it for a dinner before a play-off game or something, plus, I'm going to give some to our neighbor who let me borrow an extra crock pot to get it all cooked Keeping you and your DH and family in my prayers. God has you all in His hands. Can't believe you remembered that about the KFC! Yes, it was my FIL-he could always eat the cole slaw even through the chemo!

Today, have to take DS3 to school and do some grocery shopping. We had to take away some privileges from him, as he kept pushing the limit on being home on time-5 minutes late, 30 minutes late, out after the time allowed for his restricted driver's license, so we're taking his truck away for a few days. Don't know where this behavior is coming from, but we keep hearing that old line, "Everybody else gets to stay out till 1 or 2 am, so why can't I?" I'd like to speak to these parents who are letting their kids stay out that late on school nights, but, for some reason, he never has names to tell me who I can call

Oh, well....going to have to get moving here or nothing will get done. I did get another 5 qts of tomato puree cooked down and frozen yesterday before heading to town to prep for the dinner, but, then, our van broke down and I had to have DH come get me at the store to take me to the church He figured out that it needs an alternator, so that's one of my errands today-find an alternator.....someday soon, we'll be getting rid of this van...

Well, hope you all have a great day! Hoping if it rains, it's God's blessings coming down all over you all!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #33  
Rosebud

Quote:
"Everybody else gets to stay out till 1 or 2 am, so why can't I?" I'd like to speak to these parents who are letting their kids stay out that late on school nights, but, for some reason, he never has names to tell me who I can call ...
RONNI -- that old line is still going strong with each generation but the times are a changing! There is no way MOST parents are letting there teens stay out that late on weekdays; if those kids are out that late, they either don't have any parents at home (maybe working), or more likely they are defying their curfews too; or sneaking in and out of the house.

Weekdays, we always had to be in BEFORE midnight: it was 10 pm (16/17) & 11 pm (18/19) at the latest. It went up with age -- I think it was 8 pm for 13 and under; 9 pm for 14/15 years old. Does he not have any homework to do? We had to come in at those times to make sure our homework and house-chores were done each day. We could only stay out later if they were with us, or on special occasions (like your sports dinner), or if we were working.

On the weekends, we could stay out later, but they had to know where we were; when we were coming home; and how we were getting home. I thought my parents were quite fair; as my friends always had to be in before us. We could stay overnight somewhere only if we called before midnight to get permission first. After 16, they were more lenient on the weekends; as in those days, people were considered almost adults at that age, but we usually came home by midnight anyways.

My wise mother used to say, "There's nothing that you want to do between midnight and 6 am, that you cannot do between 6 pm and midnight; so be home by midnight or else!"

It is funny to note that as you get older, you want to get home sooner not later. You can't wait to get home and get to bed; at least that is how we are. I think back and laugh about how we thought about those things when we were young. We were so sure that we were going to miss something ...

I washed our floors today with my new squeegee mop and it works really well on both the laminate and tile floors. That is a tiring job though, so I rested for the rest of afternoon. We had pizza for dinner (nice & easy), then I went out for a good walk to wear some of that off (I only eat half the crust anyways). The held off for me for the whole time I was out walking so I was glad for that. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend out there; and prayers continue as always ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-20-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #34  

Good Morning.
Prays sent your way for all our good health
I am happy to say that I went to my WW meeting and had lost 3 pound. Yeah. I could have done much better if I had tracked my points for more than 4 days and then got lazy. UGH A lesson I will try to learn from.
Having a birthday celebration in my house tomorrow, so am trying to plan what to eat that will be fun and on plan. I would love one day to say that I am in ONEDERLAND but I have much work to do to get there.
I read your articles and inspired and know I can do this if I only put my mind to it. and not my mouth LOL Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend. till then, Patti
triumph100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #35  
Rosebud

PATTI -- 3 lbs is fabulous to me! Take it, girl!!! I was in onederland for about a few months, then gained from those stupid steroids. If I had known earlier, I would have asked them to change them to something else. I was thrilled with how well they worked though, so there was a positive trade-off. So, I have to work a bit harder over the new few years to shed some of that. I can tell by my clothes that I have lost some inches and a bit of weight; hey, I am glad to lose anything at this point.

We had an early dinner of turkey stew with dumplings (using leftover turkey); that was nice on a cool, fall day, and not too heavy either. We had a lovely visit from my Aunt this afternoon; always enjoy her visits. DH came back from his walk, and joined us in a good, long prayer for protection and GOD's blessings of His love and grace and guidance in our lives. That was so nice ...

Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up; the weather people are forecasting for some and warmer temps for this week so that will be nice if they are right ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-22-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #36  
Rosebud

HI EVERYONE -- we've had some and warmer temps the last two days; today, it felt like summer, so we spent some time outdoors as well. We also sorted a few more boxes in the new part of our basement; should have that finished the next time we are down there. I didn`t want to overdo it like last time, so we stopped at dinnertime.

Eating has been going well; and I have been doing my walking faithfully. One night, I felt so good I made it all the way to our Community Complex; I walked around in there taking in the sights, then headed back home. The last two nights, I just varied a shorter route as that one was very, very long and I could only do that on occasions when I feel no pain at all. Tonight, I went to a park and there were lots of Dads out there with their kids; that is so nice to see. I met a lot of people that I knew along the way and chatted just a bit. Tried to make sure I got home on time so DH doesn`t worry, but he was OK with his angel stories that I put on before I left.

A couple of nice ladies offered to take me for coffee but I had just eaten dinner and was stuffed. I actually try not to drink coffee at night as it keeps me awake; and it counters DH`s meds so we have something else. I usually have coffee only in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and just drink water at night. On occasion, like when it`s really cold out, I may have a chocolate drink (half ovaltine) mid-evening. I have been going to bed earlier lately to help my muscles rest more. I took our fleece blankets out of storage too; oh how I love those: so toasty and warm.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-24-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #37  
Rosebud

We had another beautiful day today; it was 20 C all day (the same as yesterday), and it felt like summer. We are finally getting some nice weather after all. We spent some time outdoors of course, then in the late afternoon we went back down into the dungeon and got the whole new section cleaned out in 1.5 hours (the rest of it, that is). We cleaned out the closet under the stairs and put all our Christmas decos in there; that will be much more handy for sure.

Then we had some time left so we moved the last bits to the storage side of the basement. I was so elated to get all that done today ... HALLELUJAH!!! And the repair guy came and turned our hot water down for us; it was set at 140 F -- way too hot for us. He turned it down to 110 F for us; that should be good.

I was tired, so we had a micro-dinner tonight: I had cabbage rolls and DH had salisbury steak dinner. They are great in a pinch, esp when you are tired and sore. We had fish & homefries, and salad for me last night. I was singing Glory, Hallelujah -- coming home, on the back stretch of my walk, after dinner tonight.

I varied my route again through a park and the soccer fields, but the skitters were bad tonight so I was glad to get back home. DH was still entranced in his Moby Dick movie so that was fab. We had a lovely sunset tonight so I sat on the deck for a while with my furry baby until it was dark.

Tomorrow we are booked to run some errands, so hope that all turns out good too; hope to get them all done and pick up a few things we are out of at the same time. Have a good one ...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #38  

Hi all!
Thanks for the congrats on the 3 lbs Rosebud. I must say thought that I went to WW (after birthday party and really bad eating week) and put on 2.8 boo. oh well I am .2 down from where I was and determined to keep tracking this week. That's what really keeps me in line. I know you can get back to onederland, just remember how good it felt. Steroids are truly a blessing / and a curse. Today I am driving (about 2 hrs) to visit my Dad. It is always such a sad trip because my Mom died a few months ago, and Dad is so lost now. He was her caregiver (she was wheel chair bound with MS for over 20 years) and he is like a lost soul now. I try to get up to see him every week or so and I still cry when I leave. I will check in with you later. Hope you all have a wonderful blessed day.
Patti
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #39  
Rosebud

PATTI -- feel so sad for your DAD & YOU; will send up some prayers for him for comfort and peace. This is such a hard time for him esp since they were so close and he cared for her so much. That's what real love is, isn't it? Taking care of your loved ones, no matter what. I am sure there were times that were hard, but he still did it anyways.

You know that reminded me of our wedding vows: my sister and I were talking about this kind of love last night, and I was talking to DH about our vows just tonight at dinner. That some people don't really know what real love is; their love is so conditional. I will love you if you do what I say; I will love you if you are perfect; I will love you if you don't get sick; I will love you if I get my way; I will love you if you agree with me; I will love you if you don't stress me; I will love you if you give me what I want; and I could go on and on and on forever. NO -- that's not real love; that selfish-love.

It's interesting to look back now and recall that our vows were totally about what real love was. That is -- to love someone just as they are; to love someone whether they deserve it or not; to love someone even when they do you wrong again and again and again; to love someone with all their flaws and imperfections; to love someone in the good times and the hard times; in the tight times and blessed times; in sickness and good health times; to love them when no-one else will; to love them when everyone else gives up on them; to love them when they make mistake after mistake after mistake, each and every day; to love them enuff to take care of them when it's not fun, when it's hard, when you are at the end our your rope; to love them and care for them, day in and day out, just becuz ...

That's the kind of love GOD wants us to have (that HE has for us); and the kind of love your DAD had for your mom (GOD BLESS HIM). I have sure learned this through DH's illness (his Alzheimers, etc); obviously, GOD knew what was coming up the road.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-28-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My telephone rang yesterday, it was DS 1 and 2 they said we are at Safeway what can we get you ?The Safeway they were at was about an hour from where they live, They just went to the store to see if they could do something for their Mom. God has blessed me with two wonderful sons.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #41  
Rosebud

BARGOO -- that was so nice of your sons to do that for you; thinking of you and your happiness just becuz they love you and they care (GOD BLESS THEM) ...

We had a good day; we finished off the work we wanted to get done in the basement. It only took us one hour; so we got it done way sooner than I expected. Then I did 3 loads of laundry and hung them outdoors to dry. We had beautiful weather again today; it actually got quite out there -- I think it was 78 F here. We spent most of the day outside since it was so nice.

Managed to get my walks in too; it had cooled down after dinner and there was a good breeze as well. I think that is how the clothes dried so fast; between the hotter temps and the wind. So tomorrow I just have one load to do: DH's clothes, and I'm all caught up. Will take it easy except for making dinner. It is supposed to be nice; hope they are right.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #42  

Rosebud thanks for your kind words . I must tell you that I your prayers really helped! My Dad was in pretty good spirits and he actually let me take him out to lunch YEAH
You are so right about real love. My dad did heroic care for my mom. He took such good care of her (as best as he could) She was able to stay out of a nursing home (her wish) until the last few days. I pray that she is free from her disease and is flying free like a bird now.
I am sorry that your DH has Alzheimer's. That is one rotten disease. I have had a lot of experience with that, and I know how heartbreaking that can be. I will say some prayers for you. You do seem to have a great cheery outlook about it all. Take care...