Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #61  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, everyone and WELCOME to cbressler! Just popping in to say hi tonight, I guess. I'm too wiped to even discuss much tonight-4 trips to Mayo (about 1 3/4 hours one way) in the last 7 days, plus 2 soccer game nights this week, and I'm totally worn out.

Finally sat down to carefully read "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. About halfway through and I'm becoming convinced we've all been conned by the drug manufacturers. Anyone else read it?

Well, I'm going to continue reading and go to bed soon! Hope you all have a nice evening!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tomorrow I am going to a training class, when I am done training I will be able to take Communion to shut-ins. I have assisted many times but have never done it entirely on my own.
Looking forward to it but a little nervous.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #63  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BARGOO ~ I think that's fabulous -- and I'm sure your fellow parishioners will really appreciate that. Just remember that they are just ordinary folks like us, and you are carrying out a wonder service for them. Pretend your visiting some friends. Will send up some prayers for your training and the work that follows ...

HI RONNI ~ you have been a busy lady; but a wonderful daughter & mom too. Get lots of rest this weekend, if you can. Yes, we are hearing more and more about this cholesterol controversy. DH's doctor has him on the pills, but he doesn't want to take them. I'm lucky if I can get him to take one EOD ... and I am concerned becuz the doctor admitted to me that they are hard in the liver.

When I asked DH's doctor if he "really" needed the pills, and about his numbers (which he wouldn't share with me), he quickly evaded my questions and moved on to something else. I don't know why they are so secretive here; it's like they feel threatened by anyone who asks them any questions.

My doctor told me my cholesterol was really good (in the normal range) but that they could be even better if I took the pills. I didn't take them, becuz I would rather try to get them down by eating healthier, and losing more weight. Some claim the pills help take "fat" out of the blood (and therefore, our veins & arteries, I guess); but if the body manufactures 75-80% of the cholesterol in our body, why are we fighting that? I just don't understand it all, I guess.

I went to the Nathan Pritikin site; and read how he got his cholesterol down by cutting out most fatty meats (except fish, I think) & egg yolks & high-fat dairy foods. He started at about 300, then went down to 220, then 160, and finally, to only 120 went he went almost vegan. I think he experimented to see how far down he could get it. It did work, and he reversed his heart problems; but then died of something else (isn't that always the way).

My DH has almost stopped eating eggs completely and, he eats less meat but he could go lower without the pills, I think -- especially, if we subbed more fish & beans for more of the meat yet. I have been cutting the meat down over some time, but I know he won't go vegetarian or vegan (he hates salad of any kind). He's a meat & potatoes kind of guy. He eats veggies now only becuz I try to make them tastier by preparing them with herbs, spices, and/ broths.

I buy leaner meats, and we remove all visible fat & skin; he eats chicken dogs and only one leaner burger now. I make him something else to go with it instead of eating 2 burgers which he used to do. Now & then, he does ask for two though, so I bought some leaner ones that are only 180 calories each.

He's not overweight (actually, he's underweight), his blood pressure is ideal; and his sugars are great. So, I wonder if his cholesterol is really too high or the other half too low? But I couldn't get any satisfactory answers about that either. So, what to do, what to do ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-14-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #64  

Rosebud , thanks for the prayers, I will need them.
About cholesteral, I have been taking pills for years, I told the doctor, I rarely eat red meat or eggs, eat mostly chicken or fish, drink only non fat milk.Why is it still high ? She says heredity plays a big part in it. I still take the pills but don't know if it is the wisest thing to do.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #65  

Default struggling

I am a christian who is trying to obey the Lord by eating the way he intended me to eat. I have struggled with my weight since I was in kindergarten and I am now almost 55. I have tried almost everything you can think of including buying diet pills over the internet from who knows where. I am now trying to do it Gods way but I really struggle in the evenings. I don't want to binge and purge but sometimes I still do. I know this is not healthy and I really want to stop. Maybe you all might have some suggestions or atleast pray for me.
needsupport55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #66  
Rosebud

Needsupport55 ~ glad you found us over here. We will gladly pray for you concerning the binging issues and living healthier. I am finding this year that by upping my lean protein & veggies (in my meals), and by eating heartier meals, that I am less hungry in the evenings lately.

I kept trying different things, and this has worked the best so far. Before I tried having bigger snacks, but that would set me up for a mini-binge (a bigger one years ago, though). Now, I have a bigger dinner but plan a smaller evening snack like cheeze, and/ baby carrots; or a piece of lean leftover meat, etc. A glass of milk, or a big cup of tea helps satiate me too.

Come back often; I find it helps me a lot to stay on track ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsupport55 View Post
I am a christian who is trying to obey the Lord by eating the way he intended me to eat. I have struggled with my weight since I was in kindergarten and I am now almost 55. I have tried almost everything you can think of including buying diet pills over the internet from who knows where. I am now trying to do it Gods way but I really struggle in the evenings. I don't want to binge and purge but sometimes I still do. I know this is not healthy and I really want to stop. Maybe you all might have some suggestions or atleast pray for me.
Welcome and congratulations on taking charge of your health. I find that planning is the answer I plan all meals ahead of time. This does not take much time to do. I make sure I include some healthy snacks. I eat dinner early as I get up early. I make sure I have a planned snack sometime after dinner. If I don't do this I want to eat everything in sight. My snacks are usually less than 100 calories and could be yogurt, string cheese. Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge, an apple or orange whatever I have planned for. I make sure I have plenty of the right foods on hand. Good luck.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #68  
Rosebud

Bargoo ~ Good tips there -- I also plan ahead, and have found that certain snacks are better for the evening (I also eat yogurt and/or fruit too). I try to stay away from the grain/starch carby snacks at night now, leaning towards -- protein, dairy, UNsalted nuts, carrots, or fruit (less binging that way).

PS ~ I only eat cereal or a slice of toast at night if my calories are way under.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-14-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi all. I've posted a few times before.
I'm back for some encouragement. I HAVE to do this. For myself, my health. I'm only 47, if I don't get control of myself now, I'm in for a long miserable life, if I live a long life.

I've subscribed to the thread this time so hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you all.

A bit about myself, I'll be 48 this year. I'm now have about 60# to lose.
I've been married 25 yrs, have 2 children, a son-in=law and a handsome 6 mo. old grandson! Don't get to see him often, they live about 6+ hours away from me.
I will graduate in May from the local tech. college, with a diploma in Medical Office Administration. I'll be taking Coding classes this summer for the coding certificate. No prospects of a job yet, got to get my resume together and get it out there. Kinda scary!!

I'm excited as tomorrow we will be joining the church we've been attending since August!! It will be so good to have a 'church family' again.

I read thru some of the post and someone (Rosebud?) mentioned a wheat free diet. I've been thinking of doing this-again. Did it once before, not this particular diet but just cut out breads and alot of my sugars. I did lose some weight, felt better,no heartburn, etc.

Well, enough for now.
Ya'll have a blessed day.
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #70  
Rosebud

HI PATTY ~ I remember you; glad that you came back. Yes, Bootsie & I were discussing a wheat-free plan (she and her DH are having great success with it). Do whatever works for you, Patty; follow whatever plan you can stick with -- that is what matters most ...

E2A ~ and yes, congrats on finishing your Medical Administration course, and joining your new church as well.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #71  

Welcome Patty ! You are wise to take control of your health. Good luck to you. Congratulations on joining a church, I am all in favor of church membership.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone have two praises, bought a shirt 3 weeks ago and was really tight across the belly part ,loose now! Hubby is down from a size 5X to a 3 X ! We give all the glory to our lord and thank him so very much! Ok we can wear this but....we are not loosing any weight.....for the last two weeks. at first we lost some weight ...but we seem to be shrinking in measurements! Which I don't care how we get there just as long as we are healthy.

Having meatloaf with 2 T.flax meal tonight for thickener handful of cheese and 2 eggs salt & pepper, onion with stewed tomatoes and peppers on top and green beans.
Yesterday had boiled chicken in garlic , salt & pepper with broccoli and carrots boiled the broccoli in the chicken broth and cooked the carrots with the chicken. Ate at a party last night some sausage and raw vegetable deviled eggs.

Last edited by Bootsie; 04-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #73  
Rosebud

BOOTSIE ~ your dinners sound just yum ...

For the second week of April, we had --

Sunday -- Deli chicken, new potato, veggies
Monday -- Ham + Potato-veggie scallop
Tuesday -- chicken pattie/onions; beans; salad
Wednesday -- Creamy Mac: hamburg/rotini/veggies/mushroom sauce
Thursday -- leftovers & salad
Friday -- chicken breast tenders, corn & salad
Saturday -- soup & pastrami/chz sandwich

Lunches: veggie pita pizza; l/o chicken & tomato sandwich; pastrami/chz sandwich (2d); l/o chicken tenders & few small tators & salad; l/o chicken breast & salad (2d).

Breakfasts: eggwich + fruit/yogurt (2d); bagel & peanut butter (3d); 1.5 egg omelette/chz & 1 tst; egg & 2 slcs bacon & 1 tst; orange (2d); bananas (2d).

Snacks: yogurt, fruit, baby carrots, chz, UNsalted almonds, HM banana loaf, brd/pb (1 day).

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-15-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Patty love your picture of your cow! Been a lazy day today.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #75  
Rosebud

Here's one of my favorite thrifty recipe sites. Many of her recipes are simple, quick, and very economical too ...

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.