Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #31  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

We love you KELLI

And don't you ever leave us!

EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #32  

1 Timothy 4:1-8 (New King James Version)

The Great Apostasy

1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed. 7 But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. 8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.

Last edited by Kelli; 11-20-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #33  

The more willpower you use, and the harder you have tried to lose weight, the heavier you will be. Dieting creates two obsessions. One, you become fixated on food and two, you become fixated on your weight.

Believe me when I tell you, you are strong! It’s not about changing the food you eat. It’s about understanding and fixing the reasons you overeat. It’s about changing your wrong thinking into right thinking.

You have a problem with your weight because you eat more than your body uses, so… stop eating more than your body needs. Don’t you wish it were that simple?

Diets try to convince us that we need to change the food we eat. They over simplify, and, over complicate the whole process. Wouldn’t it be easy if we could all simply decide which diet was best for us, and then do it? If it was that clear-cut, obesity wouldn’t be the second highest preventable cause of death in America. I knew all that, but I couldn’t stop myself from overeating. I needed to find the reason I was overeating and why I couldn’t stop, that’s why I started my Bible study. I was desperate.

Last edited by Kelli; 11-21-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #34  

Read Colossians 2: 20-23 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #35  

I was so frustrated for years, because being addicted to food, is not like being addicted to cigarettes or alcohol, because if you want to break the addiction to those things, you just stay away from them. You can't stay away from food. The more I read the Bible, God started revealing to me that it was the addiction to dieting that created the love for food.

for so many years I didn't want to believe what I was reading. I had the worlds idea of clean and unclean foods (we call it healthy and unhealthy now) those ideas were ingrained in my Psyche, that I resisted for ten years!!!

I have been studying the Bible about this subject for ten years. I now believe the diet God wants for us is to eat in moderation. You can eat anything you want, as long as it is in moderation, and it doesn't make you sick. If it does make you sick then it shouldn't be hard to resist. On the other hand, If certain foods make you sick because you have been stuffing so much down your throat so the pain won't bubble out, then eat it, but don't stuff it down so hard, you will get to eat it again! If you do stuff it past the point of satisfaction, tell God you are sorry you overate, and LET IT GO!!!!!

There is something you can do! Just like the alcoholic can't be around alcohol, You can cast down every thought about dieting food, and especially you need to cast down the thoughts that make you feel like less of a person or that you are worth less than a thin person.

There are no rules. I know that is a hard concept. I know it's hard to just stop dieting. I was afraid if I did, I would just eat and eat and eat, and to be frank, the first few weeks I did, but I had been doing that anyway. I would fail on my latest diet and Binge, I would stuff so much food down, the whole time feeling, shame, regret, self revulsion...

You have to just let the guilt go. When I stopped dieting, every time I felt the guilt, I cast it down with a Scripture like: 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ

I found that after a couple of weeks, without dieting, or feeling guilt for overeating, food just didn't have the same fascination for me as it had. It is such a delight to sit here with a bowel full of homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, and I have actually forgotten they where there! It didn't take that long at all to break the addiction! Maybe two weeks at the most. Just try it for two weeks! You have tried everything else!

Love, Kelli
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #36  

I do have a couple of suggestions about eating (Remember, these are not rules!)

Scientists have begun to trace the link between portion sizes and increased obesity in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1971 and 2000 American women increased the number of calories they consumed by 22 percent (from 1,542 to 1,877 per day), while men increased their intake by 7 percent (from 2,450 to 2,618 calories). Government recommendations, by contrast, are a mere 1,600 calories a day for women and 2,200 a day for men.

I heard an interview the other day, it was with a man who said he was moving into his 1940's house. He started putting his dinner plates away, and they wouldn't fit! He thought, "What idiot would make a cupboard to small to fit a standard size dinner plate". Then he realized that the dinner plates in the 1940's were smaller!

I know I have heard people say that you should use a smaller plate, and I happen to have some old dinner plates, so I thought I would try to see if there was a real difference. I was surprised!!! So I took pictures.

Here is my dinner on the smaller plate. I thought this looked like plenty of food to eat for dinner... UNTIL, I put it on my standard size dinner plate!

All I did was scrape the very same food from the small plate to the bigger one. It is the exact portion as the smaller plate! I don't know about you, but if I was using this bigger plate, I would of kept filling it up. It looked to empty!

Well I don't know about you, but I am going to use my smaller plates from now on, it is a huge difference.

Love Kelli
Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #37  

Even though I had been a Christian a long time, and reading my Bible almost every day, I never thought to go to the Bible to resolve my weight problem. I didn’t consider it a diet guide. I would pray, asking God to help me with a particular diet, but I never thought of the Bible as the starting place. The more I read the Bible, the more I realized it is a rich source of knowledge, and insight for every known problem. The Word is our guide for living every aspect of our life. This ancient document is just as practical today as it was thousands of years ago, when Solomon wrote:

Ecclesiastes 1:9, 10 That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun. 10 Is there anything of which it may be said, "See, this is new"? It has already been in ancient times before us.

Read Psalm 118:8-9
It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man, 9It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in princes.

In whom should you put your confidence, to overcome your obsession? ______

Read Colossians 2: 20-23 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

This scripture nails it. It’s exactly what we have been doing with our frantic dieting. Why are we living as if we don’t have all this knowledge and wisdom at our fingertips?

It’s not a food issue. It’s a head, and heart problem. The trouble starts when we make the act of eating, into a forbidden fruit. An addict is someone who can’t get enough; they want more, and more. How many people do you know who are addicted to water? We are rebellious. I don’t have a problem praying for help finding my keys, yet somehow I always conveniently forget to pray for help resisting the last of my Mucho Grande Over Stuffed Big Fat Burrito.

In a recent study done in Switzerland, participants were blindfolded while eating. They ate less and felt just as full. It was determined; when they couldn’t see what they were eating, they paid more attention to their inner cues.

After I read about this study, I decided to do this myself, I blindfolded myself and ate very slow. My cute daughter kept track of my bites with hash marks so the number wouldn't influence me. It only took 24 bites for breakfast and 18 for lunch and dinner (I think it took more on the breakfast one, because it had been a longer time from my last meal) I started taking only 18 spoonfuls of food and found I was completely satisfied with that most of the time.

Love, Kelli

PS, I am not counting spoonfuls anymore tho, I have completely given up dieting, however, I know that's not for everybody.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #38  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Great "awareness" with the pictures of the plates Kelli!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 175/165/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
God is so good, He has shown me that it's not the overeating that makes one fat, it is the obsession with dieting.

Dieting, counting calories, carbs, weighing my food, making list about what I eat... All of it, creates an unnatural desire for forbidden fruit. When I tell myself, "I will not eat that candy bar", my thoughts naturally focus on the thing of my desire, and that's all I can think about.

I didn't start to have a problem with food, until I started dieting. That is the whole secret. The sooner you stop dieting, thinking about being thin, thinking your fat... the sooner you will stop being obsessed with food, and you will stop gaining weight.

Here is how you do it, it's simple, every time you think about weight or related topics, just capture your thoughts. Think about something else, your obsession will subside, and you will naturally lose weight, without any effort.

Jesus, says all over the new testament that we are not supposed to be caught up in rules, in fact he specifically says "diet rules" and yet we feel righteous when we are being "good" on our diets. We are all doing exactly what the pharisees did. Telling each other about our diet, asking them about their diet, feeling judged when we are not being "good"... WE ARE FREE!

I agree with you but getting there seems hard.
Faithiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Boy, this post seems to have generated a lot of rather emotional responses. I don't think anyone has intended to be contentious, but rather that misunderstandings have occured. I pray that everyone posting understands that & also understands that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I know this may sound harsh & it is not my intention to create anymore contention, but here's my 2 cents worth. There was a time before I was saved when reading a thread like this would make me laugh at the hypocrisy of supposedly loving Christians.

I am a born again child of God and this is what I believe; For all His children, God uses everything in our lives & works it for our good (Roman's 8:28). He teaches us individually as we grow closer & closer to Him in our very personal relationship. Jesus is more than our best security, He is the only true security. Everything I am & everything I have belongs to God & He is my all sufficiency in all things. I praise & thank God for the wonderful, abundant variety of delicious & healthy food He has provided for our enjoyment, and I am so grateful that this has caused me to raise my voice in prayer & thanksgiving to Him & to seek His guidance in how to be a good steward of my body, which is His temple.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #41  

I have been exploring this idea. As a matter of fact I went to a used bookstore yesterday and found a little book called The Diet Alternative. It is a small book and cost me $3.00. I read it and it makes sense and I'm going to try it. I would love to live in freedom from counting and tracking and binging and feeling guilty and obsessing about food. There are no hard and fast rules. You simply commit your health and eating habits to God. He'll lead you as to what to do. Different people have to do different things. It's what he leads *you* as an individual to do. The main goal is that if you are obsessing about food or overeating or eating for reasons other than true hunger then you have a spiritual problem that only God can fix.

I think that the misunderstanding occurs when people don't realize that God works on each of us in different ways. His standards are the same but he leads us to those standards in different ways. For example, my problem with food is that I overeat sweets/breads and I eat for reasons other than true hunger. So what I have to do to get to God's standard of freedom and balance will be different from the person who overeats at every meal or the person who has an eating disorder or the person who is diabetic etc.

Last edited by Faithiskey; 12-13-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #42  

This is a great thread and I hope it keeps going. I posted over on the Intuitive Eating thread, but the more the better!

I too never had weight problems UNTIL I started dieting. I have a ton of "non dieting" weight loss books. They are all good, I'm sure, I just never really committed. After my last foray with the "new and improved" Weight Watchers program, I've had it with wasting money on diets.

I've read the latest non dieting book The Eden Diet, but the book I chose to help me foremost is Paul McKenna's I Can Make you Thin. A corny title, but great information for a non dieting technique. I also have his journal. I'll use my other books as supplements to this one.

I also turned vegan, but not for dieting purposes. It's just something I've always been drawn to; now I'm living it.
luvmyellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #43  

Faith, I have the Diet Alternative as well. There is a revised edition with a workbook built into the back of the book.

I have so many books to read. They will all supplement Paul McKenna's book.

The one issue I have with some Christian non-dieting techniques (and I'm definitely a believer so please don't take this wrong), is that some of the authors keep saying that the program they have outlined is God's natural way of eating. The truth is these are authors' rules, no different than dieting rules, only we can do it without counting calories, weighing and measuring foods,etc. I truly believe God gave us so much freedom, he left the eating part up to our own good sense. So honestly I acknowledge that these non-dieting techniques are another set of rules, but what freedom not to count calories, points, weigh and measure, etc. I'll take these non-dieting "rules" any day!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #44  

I agree the techniques are the author's own. But the difference is you don't have to hold fast to them. I think that you can start with those techniques and then as you spend more time with God and the Holy Spirit guides you, He will give you your own techniques.

I think the goal of the Diet Alternative is to get you to start with skipping a meal so that you don't obsess about food all day. You know that you will automatically be reducing your caloric intake by skipping that one meal so you are free from counting and tracking.
Then you can use that meal time as a time to be with God (which we don't do when we are obsessed with dieting!) and as a result He can then begin to speak to us individually and we can hear Him because our minds aren't clouded with thoughts of food and diets.

Maybe I'm a fool to think this will work but I tell you, it is worth giving it a try before I spend my money on another book or the WW program. Yesterday was nice. I felt good about not having to worry about how much I was eating. I just stopped my breakfast when I was full and then waited for the hunger signal to eat lunch. I filled all snack times and dinner time with some other activities and bible study. There is a type of liberty in eating this way.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #45  

Faith, I agree it is such a blessing to learn to eat when hungry and stop when satisfied.

Your first sentence is just wonderful. Yes, I too believe God wants what's best for us, and if we leave ourselves open we will be guided toward what works for us.

It is such a true blessing not to obsess over calories, correct portion size, carbs, fats and measuring spoons anymore!

I highly recommend Paul McKenna's book. Although not a faith-based book, I find nothing in it that contradicts my beliefs in Jesus, and it distills important information into simple, easy to understand guidelines. There's even a wallet sized reminder card to punch out in the back of the book!