EMOTIONAL EATING: How to heal ...

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • SHIRL ~ glad you found us over here; come on over and visit us in the March Christian Encouragers Chat Thread. Love to have you join us there ...
  • *** EMOTIONAL HEALING & PROBLEMS ***

You know, this thread can be very helpful to anyone who is dealing with emotional issues from their childhood; and not only them, but from their adult lives as well, ie abusive marriages, relationship or family problems, work issues, illness, etc. We all suffer in this life ~ and sometimes, we erroneously think that others don't suffer like us, but they do -- you just don't know about it yet ...

As scripture says, there is nothing that you are going through that is not "common to man" -- somebody, somewhere has been through the exact same thing at some time or another. Actually thousands, if not millions of people have. Everybody has problems in this life; that is part of the human condition. No-one is immune; including Christians.

The important thing is to 1) TRUST GOD & PRAY ... 2) FOCUS ON A SOLUTION (esp one that does not involve food) ... and 3) LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES as well.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU WILL FACE ON THIS EARTH, THAT SOMEONE ELSE HASN'T ALREADY OVERCOME!

The bible shows us that we can find ways to heal our hurts, our pasts, our problems, and our emotions through reading & reciting scriptures (lots of wisdom & comfort there), pouring our hearts out to GOD, sharing with others, by helping others, singing hymns & songs, doing positive meditations, being thankful & grateful, saying prayers, and praising GOD ...
  • i've found my group! Praises to God! I've been going through a depression lately because of a myriad of circumstances, but on some days i notice i'm happier and brighter, other days i feel like crawling underneath my bed and shutting myself away from the world. Early this morning by 4am I realized a trend... I'm happier and more cheerful on the days i exercise! I only workout 3times a week, so u can imagine the stats. This proves to me personally that exercise relieves depression. However I wondered, "so that's it? I've to exercise everyday just to feel human?" I could, but I want to believe life has more to offer. I love to exercise but I dont want it to be my only lifeline.

Looking back these past few months my prayer life has suffered. I've just been on my own, forgetting that God who made me knows the reason why everything is, and that He's here for me in my low points. And right now I figure that getting close to God again will really help me get my life back on track, including my business, my relationships, my weight and my health in general. Finding this group (I'm new in this forum) just proves it! I'm sooo excited! Thanks for being here (what more can I say?)
  • Fight2WinThis ~ glad you found us over here -- we have a daily chat thread in this forum called CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS ... drop by there so we can give you support on an on-going basis. Wealso have a prayer thread in this forum called PRAYERS WARRIORS, so if you need prayer, post a specific request(s) in there too. Come back often as that helps a lot ...
  • Fight2Win - I love your name! I just peeked in this group today and was so happy as well!

Rosebud (sorry about using your screen title in last post, I paid attention to know you prefer Rosebud now ) - This I borrowed from one of your posts:
    *He says that from experience, when people change their mindset to one of thanks & praise, that their lives are literally transformed ...

This is soooo true! Something I think we all have to work on from time to time, but it sure does help with perspective and stress. Being thankful and praising actually helps us diminish negativity! I will say that I am one of "those people" who gets an emotional tangle inside sometimes. Instead of blowing up or binging, I have learned to get into cardio and I blast Kirk Franklin - I Smile, Group 1 Crew - Song to Sing, Michael W Smith - A New Hallelujah...just to name a few and sweat out all those emotions now, while keeping my focus where it should be. All the same principles you have posted on here all in practice with that method Love it!
  • ITSMYTURN (Diana Ross song) ~ the name thing doesn't really matter (it's just for fun); I had tried to sign up as ROSEBUD, but it kept saying it was taken already, so after about a 1/2 dozen or more tries with numbers, I just quickly typed in "Justwant2Bhealthy" out of sheer frustration ... ROSEBUD was from an old classic movie I saw many moons ago, and is a nickname my DH calls me now & then ...

Yes, I have found through my experience too that praizing GOD on a regular basis, esp when you are upset, or stressed, or harried -- can prevent or halt the desire to binge eat (emotional eating). It has worked marvellously for me; and the more I "practiced this method", the easier it became. It is almost second-nature now; and even when someone says something negative to me, the effect is gone now. Awesome!

Immediately, a mini-praise song I wrote for myself -- comes into my mind and I start singing it and the neggies or bad feelings sail away ... it really works! It is truly a cure for emotional eating for those who are willing to take the time to try it. You will be tested -- so be persistant with your praise responses, and the will fllee from you ...

If you live in the gloomies, or neggies, or with an attitude of complaining or criticalness & cynicism -- how can GOD break through that dark barrier to heal you, unless you invite Him to? You must let in the light -- so, open that door wide and let the shine in ... that is, let GOD's LOVE shine into your heart & mind & soul -- through Praise & Thanksgiving, and then you will be healed & transformed!

FIGHT2WINTHIS ~ they say that exercise releases hormones that can elevate our moods; I'm convinced that humans were made to require fresh air & regular exercise, and with the need to socialize with others as well (for it is not good for man to dwell alone; Genesis) ...

There's an old saying that goes ... "If you don't feel as close to GOD as you used to, you don't have to guess who moved ..." And, the rewards of returning to Him, are just so great!
  • Our recent move has surely tested these emotional eating strategies; and I have done very well considering. I have become more vocal about my feelings and maybe that is helping me to keep from turning to food. Seems I am expressing my emotions a bit more too (in this case, anger). Maybe I needed to do that all along instead of burying my feelings with food. I hope others can learn to do this too ...
  • --- HOW TO RENEW YOUR MIND --- Romans 12:2

Pray and ask the HOLY SPIRIT to help you, and think on this ...

"__________" WON'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME -- NOW OR EVER ...

Fill in the "BLANK" with whatever -- anger, frustration, swearing, self-abasement, worry, anxiety, envy, self-pity, blame, sadness, self-criticism, arguing, excuses, whining, giving up, food/eating, etc.

This is a great "emotional" reminder; and a good way to help us to get our focus back on GOD -- to His positive word & wonderful promises. Ask Him to help you find more practical solutions & real comforts. Then Thank Him & Praise Him for all the many blessings He has sent your way, becuz there are many.
  • I shared the following post with someone in another forum (100 lb) who is struggling with emotional eating like many of us do ...

-------------------------------------------------------

I see the emotions of "frustration" in your post -- stuck at 185 lbs despite so much effort; "anger" -- can't eat what I want to; "fear" of intimacy from unwanted attention; "battle fatigue" being at this so long; and a lot of "disappointment" as well ... yes, emotion; emotion; emotion ...

1) I also like the idea of JOURNALLING your feelings -- you can make a file on your PC, and erase it down the road. Journalling can help you see patterns. Look for other ways to deal with them instead of EATING YOUR FEELINGS, or stuffing them down with food. Ask yourself what you are afraid of, and what you can do or say next time to handle things better. Practicing does help. Remember that fears are often unfounded &/ exaggerated.

2) I also use DISTRACTION techniques -- I made a list of things I can do to get away from the food. I made myself a special room at the other end of the house away from the kitchen, where my PC is where I can journal, play games, work on my hobbies, and/ read.

3) One of my biggest issues/patterns was upsets with family (esp my spouse). When DH & I have a disagreement that isn't going anywhere constructive or healthy, I now walk away and go to one of my special places. I made a conscious choice (another new good habit) not to argue over silly things anymore; when he engages, I walk ...

4) I also try to keep trigger foods out my house as much as possible -- having lots of trigger foods around is kinda like self-sabotage.

5) So as to not feel deprived in any way, I have found lots of healthier substitutes for my favorite foods, ie Pita Pizzas instead of the high-calorie take-out ones; healthy burgers (ie chicken burgers or lean burgers), etc. I have developed some good new habits like having salad and/ lots & lots of veggies with my meal to fill up on. Soup at lunchtime is really good too. Friday night is fun food night; we have our favorite foods; many in a more healthy form, but just as yum. PS ... on occasion, we do have take-out but we are choosier and we watch the size, ie a slice of pizza with salad is plenty.

6) I also use "Positive Mantras" and "Positive Affirmations" which I recite out loud to myself to remind myself what a great person I am, and that I am doing well -- negating any negative thoughts that may have emerged. Since I have a strong faith, I also use positive scriptures, prayers, singing, playing organ or piano, or listening to music to distract myself, calm myself, and help myself heal. Peace & quiet; gentle music & reading helps me to de-stress.

7) One of my favorite Mantras is to simply say ... "CANCEL, CANCEL -- I WILL NOT EAT MY FEELINGS!" ... OR ... I WILL NOT RE-ACT -- TAKE CHARGE! For negative thoughts -- counter them with an appropriate and positive response. Have some ready; memorize them. (See the positive affirmations list below)

8) When I slip up, as we all do -- I just move on and continue on plan for the next snack or meal or day. A lot of planning and strategy is in play here; planning to have healthy snacks & having them in the house. For me, I had to learn to BE PREPARED ... I plan, plan, plan, and plan some more ... I even plan how I can stay on plan ...

9) How to get back on track -- one-day-at-a-time; one-meal-at-a-time; one-snack-at-a-time ... one-step-at-a-time. The first step is making up your mind to "get back on track" ... then start right now ...

10) Come here often -- read the success stories & advice of maintainers & look at the progress pics in the 100 lb forum; it really helps to keep you on your good health journey.

I hope some of the ideas here are helpful to others too. I am presently making a list of common emotions and some practical ways to deal with them instead of using food ...
  • Here's a list of POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS that you can use whenever you get overwhelmed with negative thoughts or emotions; and/ when you just want to boost your self-esteem ...

Positive Affirmations are "Thoughts That Heal" ~ too many people (esp women) can't think of their positive attributes becuz they haven't received enough verbal encouragement in their lives. Pick those that suit you, and/ that you'd like to be. Recite them out loud until you believe them.

You know what they say -- YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE ...

I am kind & caring
    I am helpful & nurturing
    I am gentle & loving
    I am strong & well
    I am creative & colorful
    I am polite & pleasant
    I am bold & brave
    I am intelligent & industrious
    I am insightful & intuitive
    I am fair & just
    I am courageous & confident in the LORD
    I am calm & peaceful
    I am Happy & Joyous
    I am Serene & Tranquil
    I am forgiving & gracious
    I am healthy & whole
    I am sweet & nice
    I am cheery & charming
    I am artistic & crafty
    I am bright & beautiful
    I am enthusiastic & energetic
    I am witty & wise
    I am determined & motivated
    I am honest & trustworthy
    I am faithful & true
    I am smart & useful
    I am fiesty & spunky
    I am capable & competent
    I am generous & giving
    I am cute & cuddly
    I am thoughtful & considerate
    I am flexible & fun
    I am interesting & knowlegeable
    I am patient & prudent
    I am decisive & disciplined
    I am practical & principled
    I am passionate & purposeful
    I am positive & persistent
    I am quick & clever
    I am a good cook
    I am neat & tidy & organized
    I am diligent & dutiful
    I am reliable & responsible
    I am efficient & equitable
    I am thrifty & frugal
    I am a caring parent
    I am classy & cultured
    I am elegant & enchanting
    I am perceptive & discerning
    I am skilled & learned
    I am good with money
    I am active & aware
    I am reverent & respectful
    I am humble & meek
    I am endearing & graceful
    I am compassionate & merciful
    I am a deserving & worthy child of GOD
    I am vivacious & vibrant
    I am blessed & a blessing
    I am thankful & grateful
    I am Accomplished & Successful
    I am a Victor & an Overcomer
    I am a Winner & an Achiever

You may have some other talents too; include them in your own list ...
  • Quote: --- HOW TO RENEW YOUR MIND --- Romans 12:2

Pray and ask the HOLY SPIRIT to help you, and think on this ...

"__________" WON'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME -- NOW OR EVER ...

Fill in the "BLANK" with whatever -- anger, frustration, swearing, self-abasement, worry, anxiety, envy, self-pity, blame, sadness, self-criticism, arguing, excuses, whining, giving up, food/eating, etc.

This is a great "emotional" reminder; and a good way to help us to get our focus back on GOD -- to His positive word & wonderful promises. Ask Him to help you find more practical solutions & real comforts. Then Thank Him &

Praise Him for all the many blessings He has sent your way, becuz there are

many.

My kind of group - to God be the Glory!
  • Rosebud, thank you for a remarkable post. Your thoughts on praise remided me af an old song that I haven't heard for a long time.

Praise Him,
    Praise Him,
    Praise Him in the morning,
    Praise Him in the noontime,
    Praise Him,
    Praise Him.
    Praise Him when the sun goes down.
  • Welcome, ALLURA ~ glad you liked it ...

YES, BARGOO ~ thanks for the reminder; I think I have heard that song and know the tune in my head ...
  • COMMON EMOTIONS that tempt us to eat when we're not really hungry ...

EMOTIONAL UPSETS ~ are any kind of "feelings" that cause an emotional reaction or response from us from the stresses of life. It could be something as simple as being cut-off by another driver on the road, or grieving the loss of a loved one or friend. Most offenses come at the hands of those we are closest to -- like our family members (ie spouses, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, and extended family members), as well as friends, neighbours, and co-workers, etc. [BTW, I am NOT talking about mental illness here; but simply emotional responses to various kinds of stress.]

HURT FEELINGS/INSULTS ~ someone says or does something; or doesn't say or do something that leads to being offended. How do we respond to being hurt -- using food is not the solution. We need to find better ways like journalling our feelings; talking to a friend or anyone that will understand; or, discuss it with the person who offended you, if possible. I think this is esp important when dealing with a spouse or other close family members. Tell them how you feel and what you expect in the future; but don't leave it too long, or the hurt can fester and lead to binge/emotional eating.

SADNESS ~ tears are one of the healthiest inborn ways of handling sadness; expressing our sadness through talking or journalling are very good too. DO NOT AVOID SADNESS -- sadness is a normal part of being a human being in an imperfect world. Some people take meds to "avoid feeling their feelings" -- like feeling sad, or when grieving; and they wonder why the meds don't work.

Many people do not realize that occasional depression is really just sadness that lingers a while; if this goes on for more than three months, seek help. Talking to someone really helps; and counselling is the best remedy. In some cases, there may be a physical/chemical cause that may need meds; see a doctor for this. NOTE: some people ask for meds when what they really need is counselling, and/ to make some changes in their life situations.

FEARS ~ we have many fears in this life; some are founded, but some are not -- often they may be exaggerated too. Talking about your fears with someone & journalling are very helpful; as is facing or acting out against your fears, ie getting back on a bike or horse again after a fall. Deal with your fears as soon as possible.

ANXIETY ~ although anxieties feel very real at the time, they may be unfounded and/ exaggerated (see FEARS). You can talk about them with someone who can reassure you; journal them; or pray about them, but I think the best one is to WAIT THEM OUT -- as in THIS TOO SHALL PASS ... Sometimes, there may be a real or physical cause to anxiety; so check that out too (ie during menopause: caused by a hormonal change in the body) ... In severe cases, you may have to take meds temporarily; as the symptoms often ease up with time, or when your circumstances change. (see also worry, below)

DISAPPOINTMENTS ~ we all suffer disappointments in this life. Some are because people let us down, so that is why the bible says "not to put our confidence in man, but in GOD" ... also life can disappoint us; we can end up jaded or disillusioned when things don't work out how we'd hoped.

We have to be very careful about having "UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS of PERFECTION" -- esp from our relationships, people, work, GOD, and life. Discuss your expectations with others to make sure they are reasonable, to prevent this from happening again. Try not to take disappointments too personal, as sometimes they are caused by things beyond our control. Try not be so hard on yourself & others. Do what you can; but keep believing and trying, no matter what ...

ANGER ~ this is one emotion that people (esp women) often feel guilty about and try to avoid, but anger can be a good emotion, as long as it doesn't get out of control or go on too long. There is such a thing as justified anger. We need to EXPRESS our anger -- talk it out in a rational way; journal it; wait it out; or pray about it, then make a choice to move on ...

WORRY ~ worrying is being anxious about something that may or may not have happened yet. A lot of people worry when they shouldn't, and when they don't need to. Sometimes, there may be a genuine concern about someone you love; but, don't waste precious time & energy on "what ifs" and "what might have beens" ... Life has enough real problems, so don't borrow trouble from tomorrow that will most likely never occur. Praying helps a lot, as does distraction (keeping busy), and talking to a good friend or counsellor.

BATTLE FATIGUE ~ is a kind of exhaustion or burn-out when we've worked really hard (maybe even too hard) to achieve something, but don't see enough results or rewards. You often see this in jobs/careers, or when trying to regain your health or losing weight etc. Sometimes taking a rest for awhile helps, as does utilizing a new plan or strategy -- looking to others for some new ideas & encouragement & support.

FRUSTRATION ~ is hard to describe, yet it is a perplexing feeling that can come from many situations as mentioned above -- when you are trying to achieve a goal(s) and encounter stalls, delays, or even find blocks in the way. Be creative and look for some new ideas, strategies, methods, solutions & support from others who have found wisdom from similar experience. Making the choice to persevere is also very helpful here.

GUILT ~ may be founded or not; often it is exaggerated or even misguided. Either way, I find turning guilt & shame over to GOD is very helpful; the bible says that JESUS took all guilt & shame to the cross for us -- so, lay it at His feet.

Often parents feel guilty, or blame themselves when their children have difficulty, but they have to realize that everything isn't their fault. Sometimes children make unwise choices, but they need to learn from them. You can only protect them so much & you can warn them but ultimately, you cannot live their lives for them.

We must set down healthy rules & boundaries in our relationships (esp in marriages & families). Moreover, we also need to learn to forgive ourselves & others (often), so that we can heal and move on; and we need to know when it's time to let go ...

SORROW/GRIEF ~ is a kind of sadness that relates to a great loss: like having to adjust to losing a loved one or beloved pet, a job, or marriage, etc. This is a very difficult life experience; and it takes time to heal. It is a necessary feeling to help us go on, so don't try to avoid it. GOD gave us a built-in comforter -- healing tears; so don't try to suppress them, as they can help you a lot. Tears help us to release our sadness ...

Prayers, meditations & singing; working or resting; gardening & hobbies; journalling; talking & sharing can all help in this regard. You may even want to join a grief group, or get some grief counselling, as many people find this helpful. While you will never forget, it will take some time to work out all your feelings, and ease the pain of your loss.

There's a lovely saying that goes ... THE BEAUTY REMAINS, BUT THE PAIN PASSES. This is so true; as times goes by, the pain eases and the beauty of that person or pet remains with us, in fond memories.

----------------------------------

NOW, let's get down to the brass tacks, so2speak -- here are several clear, every day examples of major emotional stressors that are very common to us all ...

You have some problems at work (maybe a disagreement with a boss or co-worker); you have a spat with your spouse or teenager, or a friend (or anyone really); one or both of your parents or siblings were overly-critical or even mean to you; you lost a loved one or a beloved pet; you lost your job; you found out your spouse was cheating on you or wants a divorce, or you are going through a break-up or a divorce; you have a rude encounter with someone (say in busy traffic); or a car accident; you or someone you love becomes ill; or you were/are the victim of abuse or trauma of some kind; or you are moving or getting married ... and so on.

The most important thing to remember is -- TO FEEL YOUR FEELINGS ... DON'T EAT YOUR FEELINGS; and don't TRY TO BURY THEM or AVOID THEM with food. Women have great trouble with this -- some where, some how, some way, we learned to stuff down our feelings with food. We may have seen our parents doing this (I saw my mother & my gramma do this). Some people drink or take drugs even; or chain smoke like fiends.

(BTW, this may have started with nurturing patterns or actions when we were babies: upset baby -- shove a bottle in it's mouth). Let's face it -- food tastes good and is very soothing; some people even say that "Food is their drug of choice".

Do we somehow feel it isn't lady-like or polite to be angry? Are we afraid of losing control? Are we ashamed to show our feelings? Are we embarrassed to let others see us cry, or know how much they have hurt us? Are we afraid of looking silly or weak or unstable? Are we fearful of confrontations? Do we feel powerless in our life situations? ...

It's all avoidance, or trying to cover up, or hide our true/real feelings. We must face them & feel them, so we can heal.

THE SOLUTION: We must look for *practical and creative* ways to deal with our feelings each & every day. It does take practice, but in time, you can handle them better. You can learn not to turn to food to console yourself. You can even learn ways to prevent some upsets in the future, as mentioned above (ie, setting boundaries in your life & relationships). Write up a list of *strategies*, using some of the ideas here to help you.

*We need to find healthy ways to deal with our hurt feelings. We need practical solutions (like setting some rules & limits) & real comforts (like hugs) that don't involve food or other substances. Give yourself permission to FEEL YOUR FEELINGS; and then EXPRESS THEM as needed ...

Talking & sharing, finding support from others; counselling (including intervention and/or mediation), journalling or writing (as in poems, stories or songs), listening to music, singing, praying, praizing; meditations & affirmations; sports & exercising; working, gardening; resting and/ sleeping; distraction, walking, reading, playing, crafts & hobbies; making positive changes (including setting boundaries &/ ending unhealthy relationships & making new friends); volunteering; sight-seeing or vacationing; and taking time-out or waiting, can all help us deal with and heal our emotional issues.

I have often seen members here ask for advice on how to deal with real life stressors they encounter each day; and they get some really good ideas from other people's life knowledge & experience. You may have some more ideas too -- expand this list as you like ...
  • Soothed Without Food ...
    * HERE'S MY LIST of 50 + 1 WAYS TO SOOTHE YOURSELF WITHOUT FOOD *

I call them REAL COMFORTS. Someone on another forum was asking about ways to soothe ourselves without food, so I brainstormed today and came up with this list. Maybe you could come up with some more ...

1 -- listening to calming music; I got a new cd called "Vitality"

by Brewed Moods; it is so peaceful and soothing ...

2 -- reading good books

3 -- hugs from my furry baby (spouse & family & friends)

4 -- talking & sharing with caring people

5 -- rocking in my rocking chair

6 -- exercise (that you enjoy)

7 -- journalling (anything)

8 -- writing: I write songs and poems

9 -- playing musical instruments (my organ & piano)

10 -- singing (and practicing)

11 -- dancing

12 -- sitting on my porch in good weather

13 -- watching a beautiful sunrise or sunset

14 -- drawing or painting

15 -- crocheting or other crafts

16 -- reading the bible

17 -- being grateful, thankful, and praizing GOD

18 -- reciting mantras & affirmations

19 -- dare I say it -- loving S?X

20 -- a good cup of tea or java

21 -- a nice glass of wine

22 -- sleeping or napping

23 -- swimming

24 -- sunbathing

25 -- tai chi (my fave); or yoga, pilates, etc

26 -- watching or doing sports (that you love)

27 -- going to the beach; watching the surf

28 -- a walk or drive in the country

29 -- gardening (one of my faves)

30 -- flowers

31 -- bird-watching (our hobby)

32 -- a sitspa

33 -- a warm or cool shower

34 -- standing in the rain on a hot day

35 -- the sun shining on a cold day (ie winter)

36 -- a massage

37 -- someone rubbing my sore feet

38 -- fuzzy socks when cold

39 -- my fleece blanky while resting

40 -- getting your hair done

41 -- a manicure or pedicure

42 -- a lovely fire (fireplace or bonfire)

43 -- waterfalls (the sight and sound)

44 -- a starry night with a full moon

45 -- watching a funny or favorite movie

46 -- playing with children or pets

47 -- doing favorite puzzles

48 -- playing games

49 -- join a support club or site

50 -- meditating, contemplating, daydreaming, and Praying ...

50 + 1 -- Christmas lights & music!