Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #91  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI RONNI ~ yes, I just read that same info in another book called, "Food to Improve Your Health" ... it says that we need to have at least 1-2 tbl of good fats each day just for our bodie's needs. I kept wondering why I was feeling so hungry at certain times of the day, when I thought that I had enuff to eat.

This book says that if we do not eat enuff good fats, we will suffer with hunger pangs and cravings; and we know where that leads ... Now I know that others have the same ideas, it is very encouraging.

I kept craving cheese & peanut butter; and had also read somewhere that I should be eating more protein too (1 gram for every 2 lbs of weight), so nuts and these two things would fit the bill. Both cheese and PB have fat and protein in them; go figure -- the body knows what it needs. I had cut all butter and margarine out' and was eating low-fat and no-fat cheeses, and very lean meats; plus using very little oil (like Pam sprays).

Recently, I started putting a small amount of omega-3 margarine back in, along with some good oils like Olive (neutral) and Canola (which is an Omega-3 oil; Soya Oil is also). Sure enuff, my crazy hunger pangs are going away; now when I get them, I will look up and notice that I missed a snack or it's getting close to a meal time.

The other thing I am learning from this book is about NUTRIENT RICH FOODS. As someone with a life-long vitamin & mineral deficiency, this is good info to know. I have made some changes, and am now eating foods that are especially high in Vitamin A and B, plus potatssium, calcium, etc.

I need the Vitamin A for my skin as you know; and this may have helped along with lots & lots of prayers; and a few other wise tips, to help the skin on my legs heal better; plus the eczema that I had, which has now gone away also.

That's a good tip to eat some oil and protein rich food about 1/2 hour before meals to encourage the 'stop eating' signals in our bodies. I sometimes have a piece of cheese, or a little fruit or yogurt, or a salad just before dinner and that helps me feel fuller too.

My DH is French and they often would have a salad, or a bowl of light soup, or fruit appetizer before their meals to fill the gap before the main meal. Probably had the same effect too ...

I love gleaming new ideas & tips from other books; thanks for sharing that. Let's keep reading and share our tips with everyone; I'm sure others will find them helpful too. I'm still studying my book; there's so much info in it that is very interesting about how foods can help us be healthier if we choose the right ones.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #92  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all, just flying in to let you know I am still alive and well and praying for everyone

I love the food ideas, and I agree with many of you. I added healthy fats into my diet, more protein and fewer carbs very early in my journey.

It made a big difference for me. I eat far more nuts and nut butters, olive oil, avocado, etc. than I ever dreamed possible - yet I still steadily lost weight

It is frigid here in MI - windchill will be well below 0F tonight.

Blessings to all! and prayers ascending!!!

Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #93  

Height: 5'5.5"

Hello to all. Thanks to everyone who sent links to Christian websites for me. I decided to buy a book of daily devotionals from Joel Osteen. I am loving it so far.

Keep warm everyone. Prayers to all.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #94  
Rosebud

HI EVERYONE ~ had a good day; lots of lovely but it's very cold out there -20C ... Got caught up on my laundry and mending this week plus some light housechores as well. Had a good OP on day; hope you did too ...

Have a Fantastic Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #95  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I promise to catch up soon....

Blessings ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #96  
Quit counting at 45!

It's been a crazy January. We have another niece living with us now. So far so good. She's in Wpg. to go to school. Having lived with only men I can't believe the "stuff" she calls essentials. She's not a Christian so hopefully I'll be able to show her that it's a desirable thing to be one!

I've been doing well with my eating and have actually been exercising. I'm still doing just a few minutes a day when my schedule allows it but it's already becoming easier.

It looks like everyone here is doing well also. My prayers are going up for the concerns. Have a great day!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Thank Y'all so much. I have really been so confused lately with my fats and carbs but reading your post makes it more understanding. I lose weight then the next day I may weigh 6 pounds to 10 pounds more. How can that be? My husband says its my scales but,noooooooo..... two scales say the same. Does anyone else have that problem? I loose it within a week but it is still just so discouraging.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #98  
Rosebud

BOOTSIE ~ there are two things that I know of that could cause that ... SALT & TOM (menses/hormones). Got to watch what we eat as some things have more salt than we realize; and for me (and many others) I always retain water the week coming up to and during my menses; then afterwards (about a week) that goes away. Tonight, it seems like I have been to the little ladies room at least once an hour, but I know that is what is causing it.

Eating foods with potassium in them helps us to get rid of extra water and so do Vitamin B complex. I am reading about that right now in my book. I have had a retaining problem for some time, so I hope all this info helps me get it sorted out. Putting my legs up for an hour also helps as well.

HI WILMA ~ you are a great aunt to help all your nieces thru school like that; and you will be a great Christian example for them as well!

Have a wonderful weekend folks ... Rosebud
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #99  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Salt and not getting enough water (fluids) cause the scale to go up for me. I'm past TOM issues (Hallelujah!)

Also, heavy weight lifting, will cause water retention for me as well.

Hi to all!

All is well here in MI. Still crazy busy and not finding much time to be online. Prayers are continuing for all.

Blessings,

Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #100  

Maybe I'll try this thead again. It's just hard to keep up. I find it hard just to keep posting on the IE thread. Hi to all.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Carol just post when you can that is what I do. TOM doesn't knock on my door anymore either . Talk about an uninvited guest! Ha! I checked out a site on the potassium level in vegetables & fruits and their salt level and wow did not know that no wonder my weight bounce's around like a basket ball. Through with the appreciation supper for our customers, around 145 people there, so tired.....have house work to do, but hubbie told me to rest, hmmm.... don't rightly know how to do that.
I just cannot express to you how blessed I am to have such good friends,I have a problem asking people for help but have no difficulty seeing where someone needs help and stepping in. My friends I guess have seen this in me and you know they seen I needed help at the party and they just stepped right in and helped me, serve food, tea etc... I had one stay afterwards and help me clean some up but we gave up and she met me back up there this morning and helped me clean up the whole place! No one has ever helped me so much.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #102  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Gals ~

I am sorry to be so MIA! I just have been so exhausted from work....I get on here, check in on everyone...say my prayers...go to general chatter for some mindless "fun" nonsense and am off the computer.

However I am feeling well! I did post some concerns in Prayer Warriors though for my family. I won't repeat it here to save time.

Last week-end we didn't go to church, my daughter ran a marathon and Angie and I went and watched, as usual, with the kidnapper my son an dil and my ex-wife. We had a great time....but...

my sister went to church, knowing I would be there since we hardly ever miss...only to find out no one form our family was there It was just uncomfortable for her since she hasn't been in a long time plus with the physical cancer effects...anyway all is well She went last night since Angie and I said we were going ...my son came since my dil had some last minute Charger Girl things going on, my sister's husband, her two daughters and sil and my grand nephew came too...just like old times

BOOTSIE that was some party

CAROL you are always welcomed here

SCOOTER hello to another MIA

WILMA another niece! Lucky you

ROSEBUD thanks for holding us together

RONNI prayers for strength in your family!

LIZ keep coming back

KAREN keep that pool water warm

I am so blessed to have all of you in my life!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #103  
Rosebud

GARY ~ that's awesome so many from your family went to church together; I know that has been a concern of yours ... the prayers of a righteous man availeth much (James?) ...

BOOTSIE ~ yes, that's a good friend indeed; cherish them as they are few and far between these days ... you and LAURIE are fortunate that MR. Nasty TOM doesn't visit anymore; he has slowed down his visits but hate them just the same as I have always had a ruff time with them (more than most). Someday, he will just go away and not come back ...

CAROL ~ welcome back -- yes, just post when you can; don't have to be that big either ... glad to have you join us!

LAURIE ~ like I said to BOOTSIE, you are blessed indeed; but hopefully, it won't be long for me too.

It's a bit cold tonight -17C so we cranked up the furnace tonight; DH said he was chilled even with his 3 layers on ... We had a quiet restful day at home and had leftover turkey for dinner ... Have a great week everyone ... prayers continue for all ... Rosebud
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #104  

Hi all. I am just now losing a little winter weight, probably since my Dh has gotten on the band wagon since he has been seeing a cardiologist for atrial fibrillation. he has lost 16lb in less than a month. He is a veterinarian and very active. Weight just falls off him when he puts him mind to it and now he has a better reason to keep it off. I am happy for him but it has always been discouraging for me because he loses so easily. I have lost about 40lb in the last 2 yr. but have a hard time in the winter when I am less active. (no garden)
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote