3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Faith Based Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups-127/)
-   -   NOVEMBER ~ Daily Devotion (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/185620-november-%7E-daily-devotion.html)

EZMONEY 11-18-2009 07:55 AM

"No Pets Allowed"

November 18, 2009

And he said to her, "Let the children be fed first, for it is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." But she answered him, "Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." Mark 7:27-28

Pastor Thomas Eggebeen is interim pastor at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, Calif.

When Pastor Eggebeen started in that church three years ago, he was saddened to see membership was sliding and the faithful who still attended church all seemed to be sporting a lot of gray hair.

Not so long afterwards, a figurative light bulb came on over Eggebeen's head and he was given an idea on how he could save the church. He would turn God's house into a doghouse.

Yes, you heard that right. The church would have 30-minute services, individual doggie beds, canine prayers, and an offering of doggy treats. Pastor Eggebeen is not alone in espousing pet worship. Apparently, he is at the front of a spreading movement that believes in pet evangelism.

Now if it sounds like I'm a bit amused by all this, I have to confess, I am.

Pet church adds a whole new -- and very strange -- dimension to religion. Now I have no problem with St. Francis, or anyone else, if he wants to bless animals or talk to them. On the other hand, red warning flags pop up when I hear Pastor Eggebeen say, "When we love a dog and a dog loves us, that's a part of God and God is a part of that." Pastor, that's not in the Bible.

I get concerned when Laura Hobgood-Oster, a religion professor at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas, says, "More and more people in mainline Christianity are considering them (pets) to have some kind of soul."

I get concerned because the idea of doggies and kitties and hamsters, etc. with souls are not only not in the Bible, such a belief is a contradiction of Genesis 2:7. There it says man is unique because he is made and because God breathed a living soul into him.

To both pastor and professor I would say, you can't change dogma because you love your dog. (Really sorry about that line, but I couldn't resist.)

Call me "old-fashioned," but the bottom line is simple. God's grace sent His Son to save sinful humanity from damnation. So we might be forgiven, cleansed, reconciled, and redeemed, Jesus lived, suffered, died, and rose. And while I love all pets, it's asking a lot of God to have Him send His Son to suffer and die to save Fluffy and Spot.

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, I thank You for "All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all."* For the wonders of this world, including pets, I am grateful, but most of all, I am awed You sent Your Son to save me. In Jesus' Name, I offer my appreciation. Amen.

(*Taken from the poem by Cecil Frances Alexander)

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran HourŪ
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-19-2009 07:59 AM

"Walking In The Truth"

November 19, 2009

For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 1 Corinthians 1:22-25

The European Court of Human Rights.

Before last week I had never heard of the Strasbourg-based European Court of Human Rights. Even so, but my ignorance didn't stop that court from deciding Italy has to pay a fine of $7,390 to a mother who wanted crucifixes removed from her children's public school classrooms.

The court rejected the Italian government's argument that the crucifix is a national symbol of culture, history, identity, tolerance, and secularism. The court preferred to embrace the position that maintained the crucifix could easily be disturbing to non-Christian or atheist students.

The court's decision has not gone without a challenge.

Reverend Frederico Lombardi, spokesman for the Vatican said the court got it all wrong. The crucifix is a sign of the importance of religious values in Italian history and culture and therefore is a symbol of unity and welcoming for all humanity. It most certainly is not, Lombardi said, a symbol of exclusion.

What? This is nuts! If I'm hearing things correctly, the Church is declaring the cross and crucifix are just an all-inclusive, non-offensive cultural and historical symbol, while the secular court is maintaining the cross and crucifix send a powerful message of Jesus' suffering and death -- a message which the unbelieving world will find offensive.

It's a strange world when the Church minimizes the impact of Christ's cross and the secular court emphasizes the power of what happened on Calvary.

As for me, I think Paul had it right when he wrote to the Corinthian church. Those words of the apostle, which serve as the basis of today's devotion, tell it the way it is: the cross of Jesus, when coupled with the Savior's victorious resurrection from the dead, will always be insulting and offensive, foolishness and folly to the unbelievers of the world.

At the same time, for believers the cross and the empty tomb are the greatest proof we have of God's gracious intent to save us, and the power, which has made the Lord's intent into reality.

And although it may mean losing the case, I'd sure encourage the Church to say it the way it is: Jesus' cross is offensive to some, foolishness to others, and salvation to all who believe.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, how strange it is the unbelieving world often recognizes the power and importance of the Savior's cross and empty tomb better than Christians do. Please, send Your Holy Spirit upon our churches so we may proclaim the power of Christ crucified and risen. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-20-2009 07:58 AM

"Christ, My Caretaker"

November 20, 2009

Therefore don't be anxious about tomorrow . . . . Matthew 6:34a

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our International Ministry Centers to write our Friday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour

Every creature in this world longs for love in the form of safety and security. We all have the power to love and care for others. But in this world there is a definite failure in loving and caring, which creates problems like depression, tension, and worry.

People are negatively impacted everyday from the weight of their sorrows and worries. Our anxieties take us very close to the graveyard. No tablets, pills, or injections can remedy our sorrows. Since worries and anxieties are related to our mind and heart, only a person who knows our mind and heart can cure our sorrows.

In our spiritual life, worries make us doubt the love of God and the protection He promised to offer. Our anxiousness can even weaken our faith and our desire to trust in God.

What shall we do? Let's turn to the voice of Jesus Christ. He says, "Don't be anxious about tomorrow." These words urge us to be confident of His gracious caring and loving. We do not know what the future will bring. Only God knows. Therefore, He calls us to think about today rather than tomorrow.

We are not to worry about food, clothing, or housing for God knows our needs and will supply them. The apostle Paul knew this concept well: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Philippians 4:6).

THE PRAYER: Heavenly Father, take away our worries and fears. Fill us with the comfort of Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

Biography of Author: This devotion was provided by Rev. E. Eben Titus, a Lutheran pastor serving India for more than 25 years. There, Lutheran Hour Ministries-India broadcasts the Gospel in both Tamil and Hindu to citizens in this country of more than one billion people. Additionally, LHM staff utilizes cassette tapes, printed materials, and Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC) to share God's love and the redemption He offers through His Son, Jesus Christ.

EZMONEY 11-21-2009 08:34 AM

"Beauty Within"

November 21, 2009

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your steadfast love; according to Your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! Psalm 51:1-2

Many of the ladies listening to me have pearl earrings, a pearl pin, or a pearl ring.

Have you ever considered how a pearl is the product of pain?

Those who know such things tell me that when a foreign substance -- an irritant, usually a grain of sand -- gets into the oyster's shell, it causes pain. That's when the oyster coats the grain of sand with a substance called nacre; layer after layer coats the irritant.

The end result is the formation of a beautiful pearl.

The custom, I've noticed, is not confined to pearls. Some of the wonderful people I am blessed to know have done much the same thing in their lives.

Somehow, somewhere, sin and Satan managed to introduce an irritant into their lives. It may be something small or it can be something terrible and tragic.

Now these people could allow the irritant to destroy them. They could, but they don't. Instead of giving in to despair, they go to the Lord. Through His Word and Sacrament, through the ministrations of the Holy Spirit, these suffering souls are given hope with their trouble and peace for their hearts.

Truly, the Lord gives them layer after layer of His help so their pain is covered and they can be at ease once more.

But God provides a better benefit that the mere disappearance of pain.

These people, having conquered their problem by God's grace, often find a beautiful pearl has been produced inside them, and their lives take on a value they didn't have before.

And they know God has given them something wonderful, beautiful, and valuable.

From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"

THE PRAYER: Dear gracious and merciful Lord, I give thanks in Your steadfast love You have removed my sins; that You have through Jesus' blood, washed me from my transgressions. Now I ask You for Your help in conquering the remaining irritants in my life. Make of my life a beautiful witness to Jesus, my Savior. In His Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-22-2009 08:07 AM

"Listening"

November 22, 2009

He who planted the ear, does He not hear? He who formed the eye, does He not see? He who disciplines the nations, does He not rebuke? He who teaches man knowledge -- the LORD -- knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath. Psalm 94:9-11

There are times when my wife tells me she's talking, but I'm not listening.

It is at such times that the story of King Alfonso of Spain comes in very handy. Alfonso, who ruled that grand nation from 1866 to 1931, had many admirable qualities.

Music appreciation, however, was not one of those qualities.

The truth is Alfonso was so tone-deaf that he hired an individual who became known as the "anthem man." This man's job description consisted of one thing: he was supposed to call the king to attention whenever Spain's national anthem was played.

Because of Alfonso's disability, it was impossible for the monarch to recognize the tune.

Now I've noticed many other people seem to have a similar complaint. No, not when it comes to music. Music people remember. Trivia people remember. TV shows people remember.

People seem to have their greatest difficulty in listening to the Lord. In His Word He speaks to us, but many prefer to ignore, deny, and disregard what He says.

This is just one more reason I give thanks for the greatness of our God. The Psalmist said it well: "He who planted the ear, does he not hear?"

The Lord does hear and His hearing is not based on how much we listen to Him. No, the Lord is glad to hear the pleas of our hearts; He listens to the words on our tongue. He knows the requests we are thinking, even before those thoughts are fully formed.

He who has made us, who sent His Son to be sacrificed so we might be saved, stands ready to listen to everything -- anything -- we have to say.

So, if I might play the part of the anthem man for just a moment . . . if you have up to this point in time, been tone deaf to the words of the Lord -- it may be time to start paying attention.

God has something to say, and if you really do listen, you may realize God has given you good news of great joy: you have a Savior who loves you very much.

THE PRAYER: Dear Heavenly Father, I am grateful You hear my cries, my laughter, my joys, and my tears. Now may I, in gratitude for all my Savior has done, be just as ready to listen to You. May I appreciate and cherish the wonderful good news that comes in my crucified and risen Savior. In His Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-23-2009 08:01 AM

"Perfect is 100 Percent"

November 23, 2009

He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in His mouth. When He was reviled, He did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but continued entrusting Himself to Him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed. 1 Peter 2:22-24

There are 87 countries around the world dealing with the problem of undetonated landmines.

Because of those mines, countless animals are crippled and fertile fields are left uncultivated and unproductive. Far, far worse, every year, tens of thousands of people are murdered and maimed by those hidden explosives.

So, what to do?

Over the years, alternatives have been proposed to replace individuals being used to de-mine a field. That list includes -- but is not limited to -- mine-sniffing rats; giant pieces of machinery, which flail the ground with chains; and bombs, whose detonation has the ability to set off an entire field of mines.

Of course, there's always the nagging question, "Suppose we missed a mine?" Before any of us go out into a field, we'll want to know that field is 100 percent mine free.

Thankfully, there is a new product which some say will help. The BBC reports science has come up with bacteria, which turns green when it is near a mine. Amazing! Mix the bacteria in a solution, spray it on a field, and in a few hours, wherever there is a mine, the bacteria will glow a bright green.

That's what the story says. What I want to know is this: Who is going to be the first person to walk across that field? Who is going to gamble his life believing the bacteria got 100 percent of the mines?

As for me, while I think those bacteria may be really, really good at their job, I simply don't think they'll get every one of those mines -- every single time.

The only person we can trust that completely is the Savior. Because His life was 100 percent sin free, because He resisted Satan's temptations 100 percent of the time, because He carried 100 percent of our sins to the cross -- we can believe in Him as our Savior.

Jesus isn't a partway, half-time Savior. When He gave up the ghost, He was 100 percent dead and in His resurrection He is absolutely alive. This makes Him the Redeemer who can be relied upon 100 percent of the time.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, how wonderful it is to be able to trust You. In this world there are many dangers, many difficulties and fears. The horrors of this world seem almost invincible. This is why I give thanks You have won the victory for me. Through Your perfect work, I am saved and will be brought through the minefields of this world. I give You thanks. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-24-2009 08:38 AM

"Scarcely"

November 24, 2009

For one will scarcely die for a righteous person -- though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die -- but God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:7-8

On October 20th, the terrorist, dressed in lady's clothing, approached the women's campus of Islamabad's International Islamic University.

His loose-fitting robes concealed the explosives, which had been wrapped in layers of ball bearings. It was the kind of device that would produce a high body count when detonated inside a cafeteria filled with hundreds of college-age students.

The terrorist shot the guard and prepared to enter the dining hall.

That was when Pervaiz Masih, a custodian for the school, stepped into the doorway.

Masih told the poorly disguised man he couldn't go in. The man insisted, but Masih stood firm.

The terrorist detonated his bomb. Three students were killed -- far less than what might have happened if Masih had not sacrificed himself.

That's the story, except for these details: Masih had been working at the school for less than a week, working at a job that paid $60 a month.

Masih is considered a hero by the girls, but his grave is unmarked and his family is behind in their apartment rent.

Oh, there is one other thing you should know: Masih was a Christian.

So I ask you this: What would motivate an impoverished man to sacrifice himself for a lot of kids who were from a different faith?

I can think of no answer to that question other than this: Pervaiz Masih had stood at the foot of Jesus' cross. There Masih had seen His Savior sacrifice Himself so that 2000 years later custodians -- and all who believe -- might be assured that terrorists and devils and death don't have the final word.

I mourn for the six other members of Masih family who continue to live in a one-room apartment, but I rejoice in the sacrifice this custodian made in the Savior's Name.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, upon the cross You changed the destiny, the salvation of all who believe. We give thanks for Your gift of grace even as we rejoice in the witness that was made by a Christian custodian. May the world see how Christians, empowered by the Holy Spirit, can love one another. In Your Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-25-2009 08:51 AM

"Looking Good"

November 25, 2009

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. Genesis 3:6

Thanksgiving, for United States' folk, is coming.

Then come the holidays . . . and the parties . . . and the baking . . . and the sweets . . . and the . . . .

Before we know it, we will be looking at New Year's resolutions and many of us will climb on the scale, look down at the numbers and say, "That's not good. I'm going to have to lose weight in the New Year."

The same thing happens every year. Why? The bottom line is this: we're just not very good with temptation. Look at the verse that began this devotion. Eve saw something that looked real good to eat, and she ate, and her husband . . . he thought it looked pretty good, too. And he ate.

You see, we're not very good with temptation.

If that's your story, this devotion is coming to the rescue. We're giving all you chocolate lovers the news you've been hoping would arrive.

There is a chocolate sale going on that helps you lose weight. It's called Lola chocs. The stuff is 100 percent natural and tastes like normal chocolate (or so I've been told). It's got extra ingredients that help a person feel full. Two Lola chocs before a meal and you won't feel like eating very much.

Now I haven't tasted the stuff so I can't recommend it, but I do have to say the chocolate, because of the microscopic algae they use in processing it, is an interesting shade of green. See, it's working; you don't feel nearly as hungry, do you?

Maybe Lola chocs can help us with the eating temptation, but what are we going to do with the millions of other temptations the devil and the world dump before us? I doubt if there's a chocolate that can help with all those.

The truth is we're not very good with temptations. Oh, as Christians we resist, but we still slip, stumble, and fall. This is precisely why we sinners need to approach the Lord and say, "Be merciful." It is why we need to be so very thankful for the birth of the Savior who is good news of great joy for the world . . . for us . . . and for everyone who isn't very good with temptation.

Salvation over temptation -- that is something for which to be most thankful.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, we humans aren't very good with temptation. We try to avoid the wrong, and we often end up doing it anyway. Today we give thanks for the Savior who has managed to avoid the temptations that trip us up. May we give thanks for Him this day and always. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-26-2009 08:31 AM

"Thanks"

November 26, 2009

Save us, O Lord our God, and gather us from among the nations, that we may give thanks to Your holy name and glory in Your praise. Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! And let all the people say, "Amen!" Praise the Lord! Psalm 106:47-48

It was only a short time ago an Army reservist found himself getting mugged in Milwaukee.

The police report says he was forced to the ground with a gun to his neck. He had to lie there helplessly as the four thieves took his wallet, his keys, his cell phone, and $16.

When one of the hoods saw the man's Army ID in his wallet, he ordered his fellow thieves to return all they had stolen. When that was done the leader told the reservist just how much they all respected the military. He continued by thanking the soldier for all he was doing and then, fading into the darkness, he apologized for the inconvenience.

In a few moments, the reservist got up giving thanks for all which could have happened -- but didn't.

That story reminds me of an old tale about Matthew Henry, the famous Bible scholar.

Reverend Henry, like the reservist, was also robbed and left unhurt. That night, before he went to bed, he wrote in his diary these lines:

"Dear Lord, Let me be thankful:
First because I was never robbed before;
Second, although they took my wallet, they did not take my life;
Third, because although they took my all, it was not much;
And Fourth, because it was I who was robbed and not I who robbed."

As the United States celebrates Thanksgiving Day, I wonder if we all couldn't say a prayer like that.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, many of us have had some difficult times, but they weren't impossible times. We have been through lonely moments, but those moments were countered by the presence of our ever-living Savior. We have carried crosses, but with Jesus by our side, those crosses did not break us. Lord, we give thanks for the pains we never felt, the hurts that never came, the losses that never happened. And we give thanks for Your gracious bounty and freedom from spiritual and earthly tyranny. In Jesus' Name, we give thanks. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-27-2009 08:55 AM

"The Special Gift"

November 27, 2009

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our International Ministry Centers to write our Friday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran Hour

At the end of July 2000, a Vietnamese newspaper carried the following article:

"A young prisoner had been assigned a position in a tower to watch the fields surrounding the prison. Early in the morning, he noticed water rising up and beginning to flood the area. From the tower he could see a small cottage outside the borders of the prison. Eleven people were gathered on the roof as the water crept up the sides of the home. The young man jumped out of the tower and swam toward the cottage. After struggling with the flood for quite a while, he managed to bring all eleven people safely to the tower."

The article reported the rulers of Vietnam decided to release the young prisoner as a reward for his good deed.

We have been released from a prison, too, the prison of Satan. Not by our own good works but by God's grace. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to pay the penalty for sin. We cannot do anything to save ourselves from the slavery of sin. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast," today's Scripture says.

If God had required us to do good works for our salvation, we would surely be lost. Oh, what a wonderful gift He has given us!

The rulers of Vietnam forgave the prisoner because of his good work. But the King of kings forgives us unconditionally. He requires nothing, for it is His gift!

THE PRAYER: Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the gift which is Your only Son, Jesus Christ, who saved us from the flood of sin by His precious blood. There is nothing in all the earth equal to the value of Your gift and love. Please remind us of all the people who are still sinking in the flood of sin and motivate us to bring Jesus Christ, Your special gift, to the nations. We pray in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Biography of Author: Doan Thanh Truc, the director of Lutheran Hour Ministries' Vietnam office in Ho Chi Minh City for the last ten years, wrote today's devotion. Using puppets, conducting musical performances, and utilizing Bible Correspondence Courses (BCC), LHM-Vietnam spreads the Good News of Christ's salvation in this country of nearly 90 million.

EZMONEY 11-28-2009 09:14 AM

"Heavenly Shove"

November 28, 2009

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Yesterday, while standing in line at the bank, I struck up a conversation with a soldier.

During our talk, he told me he was a paratrooper. Impressed because I have a deep respect for heights, I asked him how many times he had jumped.

With a smile, he responded, "Pastor, I've never jumped. Not even once. But I can tell you I've been pushed more than 40 times."

Later on, I thought this fellow has given me a pretty good explanation of life.

Left to ourselves, most of us would be content to stay right where we are. Scientifically speaking, "We, objects of rest, tend to stay at rest."

Of course, there are people who have made it their lives' work to give us a shove.

· Moms gave us a shove when they taught us manners and housebroke us.
· Teachers pushed us when helping us learn.
· Coaches drove us to improve our athletic skills.
· Employers motivated us to increase sales and production.
· Everybody is pushing, including the Lord.

Now before you get upset with God's pushing, remember He is the one who made you. He is the one who sent His only Son to save you from your sins; He is the one who has continued to love us when we were, quite frankly, unlovable.

If anyone has the right to push us, it's God.

There's a wonderful thing about God's pushing; it is always and absolutely for our good.
To paraphrase the army: He wants us to be all that we can be.

So, if today you feel a heavenly shove from behind, don't fight it or get angry. It just may be God giving you a push for your own good.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, through Your Son's sacrifice I am saved. Because You have done so much for me, I will trust Your nudges and pushes, even when I don't understand them or appreciate them. To that end, I pray, Your will be done. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministrie

EZMONEY 11-29-2009 09:01 AM

"Selfishness"

November 29, 2009

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will exalt you. James 4:10

I enjoy telling stories and, as a result, many people enjoy telling their stories to me. They usually begin, "Hey, Pastor, have you ever heard the story about _____? If you have, just say so and I'll stop."

Of course, I never stop them. I not only enjoy telling stories, I love listening to them, too.

Recently, I received a story in a letter from a lady who, along with being a full-time mother, also works as a nurse.

Her tale centered on her young son.

Lest you misunderstand, I want you to know something: she loves that boy. She loves him dearly.

Even so, that love was stretched a bit when she discovered her son's red crayon had melted in the clothes dryer.

Her snow-white uniforms, along with all of dad's underwear, had taken on an unacceptably blotchy pink hue.

Junior was called to the laundry. Mom held up dad's pinkest briefs and began her message, which she hoped would end in her son being given a repentant heart. She started, "I would like you to see what your crayon has. . . . "

But just then, junior interrupted and said, "It's okay, mom. Don't worry. I've got another red crayon."

There are a lot of grown-up people who, like that little boy, think the world revolves around them. Things are important only if something touches them.

They watch out for number one.

As I look at the Savior's birth, His life, His suffering, death, and resurrection, I am convinced Jesus never looked out for number one. If He had, our forgiveness would be non-existent and our eternity would have been unbearable.

That's right. Jesus did not look out for Himself. His heart remained focused on the work of His Father and centered on the salvation of our souls. You might say that Jesus watched out for everybody else instead.

And because He did, all who believe on Him are saved and are given a thankful heart.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, for sacrificing Yourself so the story of my life might be changed I will eternally be in Your debt. Now may I do all I can so those around me see that we, as Christians, reflect Your grace with others. In Your Name. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries

EZMONEY 11-30-2009 08:34 AM

"A Unique Name"

November 30, 2009

And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21

Tony and Samantha are a couple who live in Parkside, England.

They are, according to all who know them, a happy couple. They are also a couple who were going to have a baby.

The plans had all been made for their little girl's entry into the world.

Mom and dad knew their little girl was going to be born at the hospital in Poole, England. The parents knew the route they were going to take to get to the hospital. They had everything, including the name of their little girl. They were going to call her Tilly. That's a nice English name: Tilly.

Yes, they had everything figured out -- everything, that is, except for how quickly Tilly would arrive.

In truth, Tilly arrived in this world before Tony and Samantha arrived at the hospital.

Maybe I should say Tilly arrived in Tony and Samantha's vehicle, a seven-seat Korean-made Kia.

Gazing at little Tilly, Tony and Samantha concluded their little girl didn't look like a Tilly. Throwing out the name Tilly they decided on a new name. Tilly would be called . . . you guessed it, Kia.

It could have been worse. Tony and Samantha could have been driving a Toyota4Runner, or an Avalanche, or a Beetle, a Boxter, a Crown Victoria, a Diablo, a Gremlin, a Range Rover or even a Viper.

It would have been hard for that little girl to grow up with a name like Diablo or Viper.

Yes, those names would have been hard, but they would have been nothing compared to living up to the name of Jesus. That name which means "Savior" and "Jehovah is Salvation" is unique. It is so unique only one man in the world's history has ever been able to carry it perfectly.

You know, of course, who that person is.

Especially during this Advent season, we remember Jesus, the Savior, the sinless Son of God who, according to prophecy and promise, came into this world as one of us to give His life as a ransom for all of us. It is appropriate in remembering Him we repent of all we have done wrong and give thanks for all -- for everything -- Jesus has done right.

THE PRAYER: Dear Jesus. I am a sinner and I am heartily sorry for those sins. With a contrite heart, I repent of that which I have done wrong and pray that I may, as Your redeemed servant, be worthy of the name "Christian." In Your Name, I pray it. Amen.

Pastor Ken Klaus
Lutheran Hour Ministries