Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile If You Could Change Church.....

IF YOU COULD CHANGE SOMETHING IN YOUR CHURCH, OR CHURCH IN GENERAL, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Most of the posters that come here know that I have been attending my church, a Missouri Synod Lutheran church, for over 25 years.

I love it there! This too is no surprise

I haven't always been super happy with EVERYTHING going on but for the most part I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If I had the power...and to be honest at my church, we, the congregation, does have the power to change things....

And I have changed things!!!

But the purpose of this thread is to throw ideas around...

I would change (among other things).....

I would add more PRAISE music to our service...

What would you change about your church or church in general?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I like the idea of more praise music as well. After all, remember ,I am one of the Frozen Chosen AKA as Presbyterian .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Ha!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

BARGOO I think you should visit my sister and brother in laws in Camirillo....they have a praise band! My brother in law plays the piano for it...I have been to their services a couple of times...loved it!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #5  

The guilt some members feel.I have many friends who were raised catholic and still struggle over using birth control and pre-marital "relations"......Ahhhhhhh....So sad to me
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Ditto on the praise music; I love music in general, but I love the old hymns so I guess I am old-fashioned a bit -- I just find them so comforting. Speaking of comfort -- more comfortable seats (I do like the old pews though).

Ummm .... less judgementalness about people's flaws (ie weight, social status, sins, etc); more love and grace and acceptance would help this, and would in turn help to get rid of that guilt that Harrismm was talking about ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

First of all better music. We have some singers that definitely shouldn't be leading us. And better (and shorter) sermons. I go between two churches (Catholic). One is just down the street, has good musicians and inspiring, motivating sermons. However, my old church, which has lousy music and a priest who drones on & on about topics I don't feel are relevant(and I don't like his voice), is more like home to me. I know more of the people there and have been a member for over 25 years. My husband prefers the old church and I usually want to go to the new one. We kind of rotate back and forth.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

More emphasis on personal spiritual growth & process, and less emphasis on defining everything.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

BARGOO ~ I forgot to mention that my sister and brother in laws are Presbyterian!

HARRISMM ~Send them to my church...we have many recovering Catholics there...my wife included!

ROSEBUD ~I love the old hymns too! I also like new Christian music...balance!

ANNE ~ Now THAT sounds like balance! It must be difficult for you to go back and forth. Prayers for you.

JULIE ~ I understand the first part of your quote...what exactly do you mean about "defining everything?"
Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #10  

I should EZ.My friends are all in their 30s, never married, most are physicians...and still feel the guilt instilled as a child...I tease them and tell them that if they had not sinned, they could all be in a reality show "The 30 year old virgins" and be famous
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #11  

EZMONEY, I just mean that I don't need someone to tell me what is right or wrong, or what is truth. God can tell me that. I need support in studying, in discussion, in following a practice, in community. I don't need doctrine. As you can tell , I'm not a great fit for most Christian churches, and I don't have all the beliefs most Christian churches have. Which if fine with me. It's just not usually fine with them .
Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

HARRISMM ~I would encourage you to tell them, if they are interested, in looking into Lutheran Church Missouri Synod...we are about as close to the Catholics as you can get. All of the ex-catholics that come to our church seem to stay. I asked a friend of mine once why he left the Catholic church...he said...his whole entire life he felt like he was climbing a ladder to God...when he got close the church just shoved him back down.

Now....I want all to know I am not a Catholic basher!!! I have several friends that are and love it...but I am married to one that grew up in the Catholic Church and has many siblings and friends that have stories that...well...Martin Luther came to reform.

JULIE ~ OK, I understand but at my church we want to know and told from the pulpit what the truth is. We also have a Pastor that tells us to search the Bible ourselves to make sure we are hearing the truth from his pulpit.

You say God can tell you that...I agree but how does God tell you? He tells me through His Word which I believe to be the Bible.

And I do enjoy our discussions!

Peace! ~ Gary
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #13  

In light of some recent events, I want to preface by saying I am not offended! Just discussing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
JULIE ~ OK, I understand but at my church we want to know and told from the pulpit what the truth is. We also have a Pastor that tells us to search the Bible ourselves to make sure we are hearing the truth from his pulpit.
That's a difference between us . I don't want to be told from the pulpit what the truth is.

Quote:
You say God can tell you that...I agree but how does God tell you?
"The still, small voice." Honestly, it speaks pretty loud and clear.

Quote:
He tells me through His Word which I believe to be the Bible.
People come up with some very different "truth" out of the Bible.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
In light of some recent events, I want to preface by saying I am not offended! Just discussing!

I am aware of that

That's a difference between us . I don't want to be told from the pulpit what the truth is.

Then that would explain why church is not for you.

"The still, small voice." Honestly, it speaks pretty loud and clear.

What is He saying?

People come up with some very different "truth" out of the Bible.
That is not true my friend....there are many ideas that people come up with, with their interpretations of the Bible...but there is only ONE TRUTH

Have a great week ~ Gary
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #15  

Quote:
That is not true my friend....there are many ideas that people come up with, with their interpretations of the Bible...but there is only ONE TRUTH

Have a great week ~ Gary
Huh? I didn't say there is more than one truth. I said people come up with some very different "truth" out of the Bible. That is why people are not my source.