Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #31  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelievablygraced View Post
Hello. This is my first post at 3fatchicks. I found this thread by googling reformed faith forums. It was so exciting to find you here. For the past several months, I've been very active in a wonderful low carb forum and have lost weight and gotten diabetes (the I.R. kind) under great control. However, through the months, I've noticed an obsession with the way of eating and not with my Lord Jesus Christ. While I realize that my faith is totally a gift from God, it is nonetheless my responsibility to concentrate on that faith. For me, my way of eating is a moral responsibility due to health problems. It's not my intention to promote my chosen way of eating for better health, I just want to fellowship with other believers along this way. Every day, I am amazed at God's hand print on my life.
Hello and welcome to our forum. As I previously mentioned I am having a very difficult time losing the weight and am very carb conscience. Mind if I inquire as to the method that is working for you?
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #32  
Intuitive Eater

Hello everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Welcome Blue Serenity! I haven't checked out "you, on a diet"yet.. but I highly recommend checking out the South Beach. It's very educational, does go into how foods interact in the system, and with the 2 week phase 1 you do learn as you reintroduce starches ("legal starches that is, like fruit")... you learn which ones effect you negatively.
Thanks for the welcome Lori. I gave South Beach a feeble shot a few years ago. But I think that's the problem, like every other program I've followed, it just did not fit into my lifestyle. Each program reinforcing the idea of "diet" and all the baggage that goes with it. I think the programs out there touch on some good ideas, but in the end one has to be able to live with it. I think I've finally found what it is that I can live with ... now just to get the weight coming off at a steady rate! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelievablygraced View Post
Hello. This is my first post at 3fatchicks. I found this thread by googling reformed faith forums. It was so exciting to find you here. For the past several months, I've been very active in a wonderful low carb forum and have lost weight and gotten diabetes (the I.R. kind) under great control. However, through the months, I've noticed an obsession with the way of eating and not with my Lord Jesus Christ. While I realize that my faith is totally a gift from God, it is nonetheless my responsibility to concentrate on that faith. For me, my way of eating is a moral responsibility due to health problems. It's not my intention to promote my chosen way of eating for better health, I just want to fellowship with other believers along this way. Every day, I am amazed at God's hand print on my life.
Welcome unbelievablygraced! Good for you getting the diabetes under control! There is lots of diabetes in my family, which puts me at greater risk of developing it, so I've decided to be proactive in my fight against diabetes by following diabetic guidelines myself. "Every day, I am amazed at God's hand print on my life." <<< I love that quote of yours! What a wonderful way to think on God's sovereignty!

Have a great day!

Last edited by Blue Serenity; 07-16-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #33  
aka &quot;GOING to&quot;

Height: 5'4"

Happy 500th Birthday John Calvin!!
Thank God for the Reformers!

my eating plan is not working very well, but it is because I can't really move much. I go to the gym and do the recumbent stepper three times a week, but in between, I am on a cane (and probably should be on crutches) so although I am probably building up a tiny bit of muscle, or maybe staying even, it is very discouraging.
Eight weeks to go for a new hip! Whooohoooo... I can't WAIT!!!
In the meantime, I am doing the "No Excuses Workout" which is interval training three times a week, and weight training three or four times a week. I added "Abs" last week; which I should have done long ago, but there you have it.
wanting to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #34  
unbelievablygraced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Hello and welcome to our forum. As I previously mentioned I am having a very difficult time losing the weight and am very carb conscience. Mind if I inquire as to the method that is working for you?
For me, the most help is to keep carbs down to about 30 a day and to monitor blood glucose a lot. I've met some non-diabetics who also monitor their blood sugar so as to know which carbs (and the amount) are most likely to cause an insulin spike which encourages weight gain. I've read so much about this, that I realized that in my efforts to take care of myself, my vision had shifted from heaven to this earthly life. There are some great low carb authors including Atkins, Bernstein, Eades, Carlson, and even Kendrick who wrote "The Great Cholesterol Con". With low carbing, there can be often stalls which can be broken sometimes with intermittent fasting. Personally, I've had about a 3 month stall, but am not obsessing about it because I've had a lot of bronchitis and then cancer treatments from which I've just about recovered, but everything has taken it's toll. You know, I know God wants my life to be balanced: I must take care of myself, but there has to be more to me that my WOE.

wanting to: I had a total knee a year ago. Yippee!!! Three months later, I was able to take my 2nd grade class on a 2 mile hike from a canyon floor up to the rim. I really think you will enjoy the "fake hip" results.

Blue Serenity, thanks for the welcome. You know, you may be a sitting duck for diabetes but I think you are wise in learning to eat properly before it comes knocking. It can be controlled and it sounds as if you already have a mental library of knowledge about it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #35  
Determined to lose!

Hello and Blessings to all. Sorry to have been MIA for a week or more but I've been busily organizing the house! What fun it's been! One of those things where you hate doing it but when it's done your glad for it.

What you all do not know is that I've been unemployed on and off for a year now. Been accepting temporary positions, and I'm glad now that I did as my unemployment benefit year just ended. I'm eligible under the new year but it's gonna be $120 a week loss on my end so I've been talking to the utility companies, lowering payments or deferring them where possible. Now that the car is paid off I was able to take comp and collision off of insurance, carrying only liability and cutting over $40 a month on that bill alone.

To make a longer story short, the Lord has been blessing me with not just the finances, but the gift to cut back on literally every area of my life. So I thought I'd pop in here to see how everyone else is doing?

off to make my menu.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #36  

Default Looking for support

My church is currently holding a group to help support weight loss, we are using the Lose it for Life book and workbook. I have just recently joined this group and started reading the book. I'm psyched, I praying that this not only helps me lose weight, but will strengthen my relationship with Christ. Has anyone read this or done the workbook?

Lose it for Life is written by Steven Arterburn and Dr. Linda Mintle

Best-selling author and radio personality Stephen Arterburn has a national reputation for helping people emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Now the principles from his nationally recognized Lose It for Life Seminars ($1,600 value) are available in this book for people who are tired of struggling with their weight. Lose It for Life is a uniquely balanced program that not only deals with the physical issues of overeating, but also focuses on the emotional, mental, and the often-missed SPIRITUAL factors related to weight loss to help readers achieve PERMANENT results. Lose It for Life is also the perfect companion to any weight-loss program--Atkins®, South Beach®, Weight Watchers®, whatever! This ground-breaking new book is co-authored by Dr. Linda Mintle, who has been in clincial practice for 20 years and specializes in issues of weight and eating disorders. Together, Arterburn and Mintle give hope to those who have tried "diet" fads with only temporary results. This book will give them the information and motivation they need to live healthy and to finally--lose it for life!

About the Author
Stephen Arterburn is the founder and chairman of New Life Ministries and is the host of the nationally syndicated New Life Live! daily radio program. He is also the founder of the Women of Faith conferences and an author of over 40 books. His most recent releases include Every Man's Battle, Finding Mr. Right, and Integrity's Feeding Your Appetites
Linda Mintle, co-author of Lose It for Life and Lose It for Life Workbook, is a nationally recognized writer, speaker and licensed clinical social worker specializing in marriage and family therapy and eating disorders. Dr. Mintle is the resident expert for ABC Family Channel's Living the Life, and is a regular contributor to several Christian magazines.
Ariannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #37  
aka &quot;GOING to&quot;

Hello
sorry I missed you guys. I have been gone for a little over a week. I went to Ireland with my mother and sister. Mom turned 85 last week, and she has cancer, so this may be her last trip. It was a pretty trip. We ate great food three or four times a day, and other than short little walks to get to this or that monument, no exercise. I can't walk much anyway, so I did not miss it, but I would sure like to go back some day when I can do a lot more walking. So anyway.. I have not done anything toward my goal(s) for a week, and will start back on the program tomorrow.

Six weeks to Labor Day!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 229/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I am so excited to find this forum...I belong to the Christian Reformed Church. Your post have really encouraged me. I knew that God was leading me to 3 fatchicks but I did not know why. Now I do. You are all so right. Thanks!!! I will be back and look forward to the conversation!!
sstolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #39  
aka &quot;GOING to&quot;

Anybody out there?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #40  
Determined to lose!

I haven't visited 3 fatchicks in several weeks.. let's get this up and running again shall we?

The Lord reminded me yesterday that in everything we do we should be doing it unto the Glory of God... and that includes how we nourish our bodies. Oversized portions and/or the wrong nourishment is what the norm is in our culture today along with the "ease and convenience" of modern day machines, stores etc. As most adults today I drive everywhere, of course the closest store is a 15 minute drive as I live in the country, so the only walks I get are the dog walks every day. We no longer garden as a norm, and the small garden I have isn't enough to count. In times of old everyday living was their exercise... chopping wood, washing clothes, gardening, walking to school/work... today, we hop in our cars, turn on a gas furnace and/or stove, throw laundry in the machines.... you get my meaning... so as a result of this and the convenience of foods readily available it's so much easier to have what we intake stick to our insides... not to mention the depletion of vitamins in our foods. I'm bound and determined to stick to a menu this week. And as I eat, may the Lord remind me that I don't live to eat, rather eat to live... eating is a nourishment just as reading the Word is nourishment.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #41  
aka &quot;GOING to&quot;

I have not been on much. My surgery is next Tuesday. I have started eating acording to the book "Eat Clean", which includes eating some protein and a complex carb every three hours. So far so good. I am not able to work out any more, just getting in and out of the chair is very painful. After surgery, I will be back rehabbing. Hang in there guys.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #42  
Determined to lose!

wanting, glad you are doing better through all this and I hope your surgery is a success.

I just stumbled upon an excellent site and wanted to share it with you all! It's not a diet, but it is a tool! With this you can continue whatever "diet" or eating program you are following. This is a monitoring site. You log the foods you eat each day and it shows you not only where your calories are, but your fats, carbs, protein, AND vitamins such as calcium, iron, as well as sodium. It also has an exercise log as well as tracking whatever else your little heart desires, weight, blood pressure, BMI, waist/hip measurements... AND it has a journal where you can either make private or public for others on the site, or public for anyone googling for it. I've posted a few and the responses are awesome, the tips are great! AND... IT'S FREE!!!!!!!

What I like about NutriMirror over the other logging sites I've tried is the cool graphs that show you at ease where you need to increase for the day, or where you've over spent. Today before starting my dinner I logged in what I wanted and found I needed to change courses to make certain vitamins happen!

Nutrimirror.com come on over! (sorry if this seems like a commercial, but I'm just so excited about it) . Journaling my food on paper was just that, seeing what I had eaten, but now, I see that the beloved turkey bacon has way too much sodium to be enjoying as often as I was.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #43  
aka &quot;GOING to&quot;

just signed back on after a looooong absence. (2 years). wondering if anybody from this thread is still here?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #44  

Default Hello!

Hi - I am just now getting back on the bandwagon w/losing weight. I am very interested in Christian support/accountability to do this. I know much of my weight gain is b/c I am not turning things over to the Lord, but stuffing them w/food. I just came across 3fatchicks a few days ago and just now found this thred. I was thinking, wow, this ended and then just saw that you posted 7 days. I would love to continue chatting with you!

:-) Maria
mariaonthebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #45  

Default the Lords Table

Hi you should try the Lords Table at Settling Captives Free. It is a reformed Christian approach to weight lost that 100% bible based. It's a 60 day interactive online court that takes you one day at a time through the word of God showing you how to overcome sinful eating habits by relying on the word of God and His sovereign grace. Its a free course and you are assigned a mentor that goes through it with you. The best part is that they are reformed.
SimpleeMee is offline   Reply With Quote