3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Faith Based Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups-127/)
-   -   Anyone following Weigh Down Workshop? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/169823-anyone-following-weigh-down-workshop.html)

candoit61 04-22-2009 12:10 AM

Anyone following Weigh Down Workshop?

Hi :carrot:

I followed WD 10 years ago and have kept the 25 lbs I lost off... I am having a hard time with other diet programs, just can't stick with it.

I have all my VCR tapes and books from Weigh Down and really feel I need to get back into the word and teachings.

I was a group leader at our church for 3 years and attended her Yearly conventions. It was really inspiring.

Other than her not believing in the Trinity, I feel her thoughts of turning to God and not food (or other addictions) was correct and my walk with Christ grew much stronger.

I am a Spirit Filled Mennonite, and really fell I need to go back to my Weight Down beginnings and get back on track.

Anyone out there interested or following Weigh Down?

Love in Christ, Sue :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 04-22-2009 07:48 AM

SUE ~ there was a Weigh Down thread here as recently as 2008, I think, but it died out for some reason (lack of commitment or lack of interest maybe?) You could do a search for it (use the search function in purple at the top of the page) and by posting a small message in it, you can bump it back up to the front of this forum.

However, they only briefly talked ABOUT the program, but didn't focus on the leader and her doctrinal beliefs too much. I could see how it might help someone who is having trouble keeping GOD as a focus or a priority in their lives.

I find doing a DAILY DEVOTIONAL each day first thing each morning very helpful for me; this keeps GOD in His rightful place: first and foremost in my life each day. You could possibly do something like that using points from her book. I do recall that they said her (Gwen's) first book was the best one, as the later ones focused more on her own doctrinal beliefs and they were not received as well.

So, you could use what you have and continue this thread by adding a scripture or a point of interest from the book each week to start things off; no-one ever tried that route before to my knowledge ...

That would get it going and maybe others would want to join you. Hope this is helpful to you; and GOD BLESS YOU in your renewed journey. :hug:

candoit61 04-24-2009 10:32 PM

Thanks

For your reply, I will try that.

I definitely am following Rising Above the magnetic pull of the Refrig.

I have been praying about what I should do and how to handle the negivately.

Today was a great day, I listened to the cassette and then the weekly VCR tape ( I have since I was a coordinator) and the Lord did show me that I should study the word and remember that I am asking the Lord to help me with this program. I know it is right for me and I will have to tell people I am following the Lords direction for me.

Are you following the program.

Thanks Again, Sue ; - )

Nspired2lose 05-01-2009 02:06 AM

I'm curious about weigh down.I have heard of it but don't know anything about it.How does it work?I currently am in a christian recovery program for co-dependancy and negative food behaviors.It's called Celebrate Recovery.It is based on 12-steps and 8 Godly principles. I have been in it for 6 weeks.It is a full year in recovery step study and open group meeting and discussion and prayer.My church is in recovery ministry as a body.We are a non-denominational,spirit filled and Christ centered body of believers.I have chosen 3FC as a weight loss support tool.Maybe weigh down is another.

In Christ,Judi

candoit61 05-03-2009 06:41 PM

Hi

A little about Weigh Down is that you turn to Christ for support and stand on the word to keep you focused on Him and His strength to control eating. Learn how to eat when physically hungry and eat until you are satisfied but not stuffed. You can eat whatever you are hungry for.

There is a WD at home, series that has workbook, cassetes and VCR tapes, which you can get for $.00 the only cost is for the shipping to you. It is the same as the studies we did in church but the VCR weekly studies are shorter.

If you have any further questions, let me know, I will be glad to help.

Love in Christ, Sue :hug:

Nspired2lose 05-12-2009 08:33 PM

Thank You so much Sue! I went to the website and it looks wonderful.I think I will give it a try.After all I have nothing to lose but weight.Hu?So if you are wanting to start this here focusing on weigh down,I'm in.I can't wait for my videos and workbook to arrive.I was in St.Vincent De Pauls book store today and bought the "More of Him Less of Me" daybook of Inspirations and Meditations. I'm a spirit filled christian and having a hard time online finding good support where I can express my Godly faith freely in my control with eating.I feel that your idea is wonderful.

God Bless,Judi :goodvibes:

CountingDown 05-12-2009 08:58 PM

I was also a Weigh Down leader about 12 years ago. I did really well with the program, but strayed away after a few years. It is an excellent program (the original one). I didn't like the "Out of Egypt" series much, and doctrinally - Gwen got a little far from my beliefs as she continued.

That being said - the Rise Above series is EXCELLENT. I may just get my tapes out again as a refresher course.

I used Faithfully Fit by Claire Clondinger on my journey this time. It has many of the same principles.

Feel free to join us on the Christian Encourager's thread. Although we are on different plans, we are a great community.

cher37 05-12-2009 11:44 PM

Ladies,

I had previously shared in Aug '08 of my experience with WDW. I have struggled with wanting to turn away from my obsession with food & turn to my Lord for comfort when anxious/sad/happy - thinking that WD was the only venue that I could go with (& I didn't want to go there again) in order to live a disciplined life with food. Well, long story short, 2 mths ago I searched & found a WONDERFUL faith-based, grace based, God centred program call "Thin Within" (just google to find the website). I have felt such freedom, knowing that I can turn to God, seek Him, to love Him more than I love food - that there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!

If you allow me, below is a powerful Scripture (& yes, all are powerful :) ) that just opened my eyes & has given me such a clear revelation ...

Galatians 5:13 "As for you, my brothers & sisters, you were called to be free. But do not let this freedom become an excuse for letting your physical desires control you"...
vs. 16-17 "What I say is this; let the Spirit direct your lives, and you will not satisfy the desires of the human nature. For what our human nature wants is opposed to what the Spirit wants, and what the Spirit wants is opposed to what our human nature wants. These two are enemies, and this means that you cannot do what you want to do."
vs. 24&25 "And those who belong to Christ Jesus have put to death their human nature with all its passions and desires. The Spirit has given us life, he must also control our lives."

1 Corinthians 6:12-13 "You may say, "I am allowed to do anything." But I reply, "Not everything is good for you." (all things are permissable for me but not all things are beneficial (italics mine)). And even though "I am allowed to do anything," I must not become a slave to anything. You say, "Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food." This is true, though some day God will do away with both of them ... They (our bodies) were made for the Lord and the Lord cares about our bodies."

I've learned that it's a journey, to trust in His sufficiency - to come into agreement with what He wants for me, to be able to live a life of peace AND joy.

Thank you for allowing for me to share,
Your sister in Christ,
Cheryl

Nspired2lose 05-13-2009 03:43 PM

Hi Ladies,

I really enjoy the company here on this thread.

Counting Down:Nice to see you here.I also go to the Christian Encouragers threads.

Cheryl,Thank you so much for your sharing I got alot out of it,I think I will go check out that website.

Sue,I just noticed your post from 4-21.For myself I'm not sure if following that program is proper for me.I should have read more on the weigh down website before getting so overwhelmed with it.I tend to agree with you though on the part of the authors spiritual beliefs.I don't desire to be exposed to what I believe to be very unbiblical beliefs and doctrine.I have been a christian for 35 years,I feel it's very important to be in a faith based program that fills our spiritual and physical needs totally.

So I'm looking at the other program "Thin Within" that was suggested.I have been reading it and it sounds better for me.And it does follow the fullness principle also.So maybe we can still be supportive to one another here in that even if we follow different plans.I also picked up a good book recently called "Scale Down".So far it is very good.Have you ever heard of it?

God bless you all in your weight loss journey's.Judi ;)

Concerning the authors personal beliefs expressed about the Holy Trinity in WD,that is her personal belief and in my opinion,not truly what the word of God says.I believe that God's word talks of this...

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine;but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers,having itching ears.

Instead I choose to be obedient to God's word...

Proverbs 31:30 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty fleeting;but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

carolr3639 05-13-2009 05:46 PM

I have followed the hunger fullness principles faithfully for a year or so and have lost about 40 lb. I post mostly in the intuitive eating thread and I am a Christian. I found the idea to make perfect sense as God's ways always do. God didn't design our bodies to lose weight he did it to stay alive during famines. Since we don't have those now, praise the Lord, our bodies think we are in a famine when we diet so they slow down and when we can't take it anymore we go back to eating and gain weight. Most of the world thinks this is silly but to me it makes sense. If you eat when you are hungry your body will finally get the message that you are no longer in a famine and lower your appetite so that you gradually lose weight. It works. Try it.

Nspired2lose 05-14-2009 01:51 PM

Carolr3639: Congratulations on losing the 40 pounds.I like the idea of the hunger faith principle and believe it does work.I was looking at the "Thin Within" program and it shows the same type of discipline in grace.It uses the hunger scale tool technique.I like that.I think I will most likely look into that one as it is more sound in it's christian doctrinal beliefs,which are very important to me.

Sue,Carol,CountingDown,Justwant2Bhealthy:I'm 47 and have been overweight much of my life,so I have dieted enough to know about good eating habits.I believe having this knowledge will help me to lose weight healthier and make it more lasting.Success in eating for life is important,don't you think?I'm going to get the "Thin Within" book first and read it as I can't afford the full program right now.Maybe the book will be enough,I'll see.I could use any ideas if any of you have them concerning the eating technique on hunger fullness principle whether you follow the weigh down or another.

I also journal what I eat for now.It helps me to get started in right food choices.Even though the fullness principle doesn't encourage counting calories,ect.I desire to do this as it helps me to focus on what's healthy,whats not,and how full I feel eating like that.I tend to eat frequent small meals as it keeps me from binging.Anyone else eat like this?I usually eat 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks.

I desire to live this biblical truth in all areas of discipline in my life...

Therefore if anyone is in Christ,he is a new creature,the old things have passed away,behold,new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

TalyQ 05-29-2009 09:21 AM

Hi, I am new here. When I lived in the US almost 10 years ago, I bought the WDW book and read it and lost quite a bit of weight following the principle. I was pretty overweight after my 3rd baby. I have since had 3 more children and although I never gained too much weight, at the moment at 38 I am struggling wtih about 20 pounds too much and somehow can't loose it. I tried several things, but in my heart I know that diets don't work and I rebel and cheat every time. It always comes down to the matter of the heart and the desire to eat and overeat. We have been back in Europe for 8 years and secretely I have been sorry that I can't enroll in any WD classes, but recently I researched a bit about Gwen and found out that I am very blessed by not being able to get more involved. Still, just like a lot of other here, I feel that the principles in the first book are good and valid and worth going back to - relying more on God, being in a better relationship with Him is the solution for me. But for some reason I am having a hard time waiting for true hunger and not snacking and eating all the time. I'd like some encouragment and support. God bless you.

SPIRITANGEL 05-31-2009 02:35 PM

I am selling my new 'out of Egypt change series' CD'S. There are a total of 12 CD'S altogether. I bought them for $119 dollars and they came with a spiral work book.
I lost the spiral workbook but will sell them for $30 including shipping to the USA only. If anyone is interested let me know x

Blondie32 06-04-2009 02:16 PM

Hello everyone, I did the weigh down classes last year and lost 15 lbs. The hard thing about it is that if you do not attend that church and get really involved its harder to keep on track. We all have busy lives of course, ups and downs. It is a great program. Of course I gained the weight back over the year and then felt terrible terrible. Almost like a bondage of self condemnation.I hope that happens to no one. It was God that pulled me out.

TamTam 06-17-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolr3639 (Post 2740674)
I have followed the hunger fullness principles faithfully for a year or so and have lost about 40 lb. I post mostly in the intuitive eating thread and I am a Christian.

Carol, where is the intuitive eating thread? I looked for it but could not find it. I just received the Weight Down at home dvd series and the Rise above boook, I read the weight down "diet" book. It is really wonderful. Have a blessed day..