Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #91  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Below is something Angie posted on another 3FC thread in response to another christian about yoga...I thought it might answer a question or two here...ps...I thought she said 19 came to her first class

ANGIE HERE:

I've never had an issue balancing yoga and my beliefs as a Christian. When I go to a yoga studio, I go with an open mind and heart. I know will be hearing things that I do not agree with and, quite frankly, are a little "out there". I just let these ideas run off my back and focus on Christ as my center. I attend yoga classes because I know of the positive benefits yoga will bring to my health and well-being.

I just taught my first yoga class at my church and had 17 people participate. This class was enthusiastically backed by my pastor. I've had such a postivie response, that it looks like I will be adding additonal classes.
Below is an excerpt of something I wrote and read to my new class to introduce them to yoga and how I plan to integrate Christian principles into our practice.
I hope this helps you.

The meaning of the word “yoga” is to yoke or to join. The goal of yoga is the uniting of the body, mind, and spirit. The development of yoga predates written history. It is not a religion. It has no creed or fixed set of beliefs. Yoga is a system of techniques that can be used for a number of goals from simply managing stress better, learning to relax, and increasing limberness to becoming more self-aware and acquiring the deepest knowledge on oneself.

Hatha yoga is the branch of yoga concerned with asanas or postures. These postures are intended to prepare the body to sit in meditation. Through the asanas, we stretch and strengthen our muscles, increase our flexibility, and the mobility of our joints. With continual practice, our body becomes stronger and we begin to feel better. All of our little aches and pains disappear.

When our body is free from aches and pains, we are able to focus and quiet the mind. When we can sit in stillness our mind can also become still. This is the opportunity for meditation.

As Christians, we want to meditate on God’s word. God promises to keep us in perfect peace when we keep our minds are fixed on Him. (Isaiah 26:3). Yoga helps us to control our wandering minds. Yoga gives us techniques to bring peace to our mind and our body.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #92  
I am HIS Workmanship

S/C/G: 310/See Slider/165

Height: 5'7"

25 Pounds GONE!!!
25!
That, my friends, is 25% of 100!
Pretty significant.
I'm tooting my own horn, I know. But I'm just totally tickled.

iwannalose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #93  
Quit counting at 45!

iwannalose: Toot away! You deserve it. Way to go.

Gary: I must admit I have questions about combining Yoga and my faith but the way Angie explains it makes sense. Thank her and congratulate her. What a neat way to bring women together.

What can I say? I love my kids and want to make what they like. He is so easy to live with too and I know I'll really miss him when he does move out.

Rayne: Still going at it I see? Keep it up. The tilapia sounds really good.

colormered: Wow! What a freaky thing to happen to you. I'll be praying for both you and your sister for a quick recovery.

ronni: I know the feeling. I am also sick of my own cooking. I've been looking through recipe books to find something new and exciting. Again, another reason for spring to come so I can BBQ.

Today I am staying home from work. I'm allowed to take one day off to study and today is the day. So, I better get at it.

Have a great day!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #94  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

iwannalose-Congratulations! That's great! Keep up the good work!

Gary-I read what Angie said on the other thread and am glad to hear more about yoga. I've been hoping something like that would become available at our church with their new push for women's ministries. Don't know if there's anyone in our church to teach it, though, but it can't hurt to ask, I guess.

Wilma-Treadmill isn't fixed yet, so I go walk at walmart and may get to go today, IF, and that's a big if, we can get the part to fix our furnace. Otherwise, I'll probably be waiting for repairmen all day, or I may just have to go stay at walmart because they have heat there

Hi to everyone else, too! You're all in my prayers. We're having furnace trouble, of course, since it's only 2 degrees and the wind chill is about -20! No one can find the fan we need and none of them will sell it to us, only to a dealer, even though DH used to install and service all these HVAC units-grrrrr! Not to mention that we really don't need to be spending another $500-600 on this house So, I guess I'd better go and get back on the phone. Talk to you later!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Donna, Congratulationa you are doing great !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #96  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Aggie--I'm new on here, but what an accident and then for your sister to also fall...UGH! Like I always tell my kids, no matter what happens to us, there's always someone who has it worse. I pray for swift and complete healing for your body and a peace and joy in you life despite the accident that draws people to Christ from your example!

iwannalose-- Way To Go!! I am REALLY hoping to reach my 25# mark soon. I know it is within my grasp, I just can't seem to move (the scale) at all right now. Awesome job and praise God for giving you the strength to keep on making progress!

I have been frustrated with the scale not wanting to move the last week +, but I am trusting that soon it will all pay off.
This weekend is another open house for us, so we're trying to clear and clean as much as possible before then. I had a weird dream last night that we (DH and I) decided to really drop the price on the house and then it sold, but we were all freaked out on how we could pay back the difference on the mortgage. It was strange since I don't remember the last time I recalled a dream I've had. Also, we have placed this whole thing in God's hands, so I don't feel anxious about it in my waking hours. Just thought I'd share.
Blessings to you all!
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #97  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - a quick post tonight - another late work day!

Prayers continuing for all!

Laurie
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #98  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

S/C/G: 359/319/160

Height: 5.3

iwannalose-way to go, you are doing great

Bev-you are just an exercise machine, you go girl, told you that you rock.

Guys I will be back in a minute, my DH needs me.

Aggie
colormerd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #99  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Gals ~ Just checking in tonight...not much to post except Angie's yoga class has at least 3 men in it that I know of.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #100  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

Wink

Okay, I am back.

Laurie thanks for your prayers, hope you are having a great day.

Ronnie, sure do hope you get that furnace fixed 2%, how low caan you go

Wilma, I am with you on the grill thing.

Angie, what you say really makes sense, clear mind and relaxed body, perfect recipe for praise and worship.

Ms Perception, thank you for the prayers. Don't worry or stress, you said it, put it in God's hands and leave it there, He got it all under control. The house will sell.

Bev, if I worked out with you, I would be calling the ambulance for me, for a different reason this time, OXYGEN!!! LOL YOU ROCK, not me. If we went running, I would have to take change to call me a cab. LOL ROCK ON SISTER

I pray everyone is having a blessed day and evening. If I forgot anyone, please charge it to my head and not my heart. Be back later to see who's post I may have missed

Love to ALL

Last edited by colormerd47; 03-13-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: type-o's
Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #101  
Inch by Inch/Senior Mem

Oh I forgot, I made it to my WW meeting this evening and even with this cast on my arm, I maintained my weight. I did not gain a pound and I was worried about that, since this stupid cast weighs about two pounds, well gosh darn it, without it I would lost about two, I could SCREAM, that would have been my 30lb. mark. Okay, okay, I am calm now. Don't let me find some heavy duty sicissors, this thing will be toast, only a memory, a thing of the past. Sorry, I had lost my mind for a moment, it's back now. LOL LOL LOL Later babes......Aggie
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #102  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

DONNA ~ it's quite alright to toot your own horn ... 25 lbs is a lot to cheer about! We're very happy for you too!

AGGIE ~ your spirits sound higher tonight; glad you are feeling better ...

GARY ~ congrats to ANGIE too -- for having her first yoga class at church. I don't think there's anything wrong with Christian Yoga, and actually think that's a terrific idea. I think it's always a matter of how things are presented. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

RONNIE ~ prayers that furnace gets fixed up real soon; don't want you all freezing down there, and esp don't want those kiddies sick again ...

Not too much to report here today; we had gorgeous sunshine, but cold temps, so just stayed home and did boring things like clean my stove, baked some fruit & bran muffins for DH for snacks, and stuff like that. Ate healthy today; so happy about that.

HI to EVERYONE ELSE and to all our MIA's ~ hope you all have a FANTASTIC FRIDAY!!! ROSEBUD ^^PRAYERS^^ continue for you and yours, and those who have suffered loss recently too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-13-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/110

Height: 5'0"

First...I have a PRAISE!!!!! I took the statistics exam tonight...80%!!! There were 15 questions...got 2 wrong, for a total average in class of 81.55% !!!

Thank GOD for my tutor and dear friend, Lisa. She saved me in undergrad algebra years ago too. I found her a husband...it's the least she could do!

After I hurt my back yesterday and had to get the deep tissue massage...I did NO work out today at all!!!! I may walk tomorrow, I will pray about it. I wish there were a yoga class tomorrow. Those totally ROCK! I agree with Angie, everything we do in life is HOW we allow the pressure from the outside to affect our spiritual inside. Think about what you watch on TV, or listen to on radio...or just where you go on a daily basis. Everyday we are surrounded by spiritual forces and battles...it's OUR decision HOW we choose to relate. I KNOW that Christ is my center...it helps me to put Him back in the spot and focus on how He is guiding and changing me. Yoga (only had a couple of classes) could be taken differently, just like the Led Zeppelin I listen to daily, but I choose to focus on MY spirit, what God wants me to see/do/learn, etc. I know I left class feeling so at peace and elated the last time. It was wonderful...I'm very gifted with discernment and I can see how it can be taken to the other side, but I simply saw with the mind of Christ...because that is how I CHOSE to be. We all have decisions to make everyday...I choose Him.

Aggie - you CRACK me UP! I want to come to VA to meet you because you are a doll baby! i hope you are feeling better...sounds like the drugs are kicking in! jk.

Ronni - prayers for your furnace!!! yikes! wish i could send this hot we have! i had my car windows open this afternoon and some bee got in my car and stung me on the shoulder and my finger! Then I prayed for God to help me and the little bugger got lodged up in my hair and i got a tissue and squashed him. I heard, "I will turn your enemies over to you".
But, only A/C for me now...no more windows! Plus, pollen season has started. yik

Donna!!!! WAY TO GO!!!! TOOT AWAY!!!!!

Gary - I love Angie and I don't even know her! You are one lucky man, but then she is one lucky woman too!!! Congrats on her class(es)!!!

Wilma - the tilapia is good...although my avacado wasn't ripe...that stunk. but otherwise, delicious. I have only been to the gym twice this week. I went up on weights and it has kicked my booty. I think i will go tomorrow to walk and saturday i will do weights again. I have to keep at it...40 is coming and I refuse to look like this then!!!

Ms. Perception - leave it with Daddy...He has it under control!

Peace!
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #104  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

PRAYER REQUEST PLEASE ~ well, this is a week for freak accidents: my DH twisted or sprained his left shoulder today when he was putting NIKO outside on his rope. Tonight, he is in a lot of pain ... so we ask for your prayers for a quick healing and recovery, as we hope it's just a minor sprain, and thank you all in advance for your prayers ...

BEV ~ Congrats on the good test results; and prayers your back heals quickly -- best to rest up for a few days for sure ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/110

Height: 5'0"

Father, I just pray that Rosebud's husband is healed in Jesus name, I thank You that by Your stripes we were healed. I ask that you will give him peace and comfort immediately, In Jesus name. Amen!

thank you rosebud!
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote