Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I was also raised SDA, and I don't particularly recall any big thing about gluttony. They are very conservative in general. I would believe that they eat more nuts than others, given the vegetarianism. The vegetarianism, by the way, is not mandatory (although the church & schools never serve meat). My family was not vegetarian, but they were not big meat eaters either. We had occasional faux meats but not constantly. It was not a huge deal to not be vegetarian, but I suspect the SDA culture in Southern California is in general not as conservative as SDA culture in other places.

But the health message really is a very big part of the SDA identity. Almost as much as the religion part .

I think a big part of being able to demonstrate that SDAs live longer is not just their health practices. It's also that they're a more homogenous group than many denominations are. There are very high expectations that you will conform to extensive standards in all areas of life. Most children go to SDA parochial schools. Everything you do in life is relevant to your spiritual health. It's not a go-to-church-on-Saturday-do-what-you-want-the-rest-of-the-week kind of church.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #17  

That is interesting Julie! I just think it's interesting that there seem to be some denominations that are literally fattening and some that are the opposite.

Come to think of it my dad has lost 20 pounds and gotten off his meds since converting to Buddhism, and none of his Buddhist friends are fat. However he became a vegan and quit drinking which is what I think did it, although, this was influenced by his new Buddhist perspective so.....in a way it is religious!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Many SDA churches have changes alot over the years. I remember my grandmother was a SDA and she was uber strict abour diet, and slammed everyone else (including my Baptist grandfather) I had no interest in being involved with SDA after that. (I was a child then)

Now years and years later I had just moved to a new city and was invited to a church, GREAT people! Took me 2 months to figure out that they were SDA. I thougth they just met on Saturdays because they shared a building with another church.

Definition of a Christian to me is someone who does not shove their personal beliefs, thier denomination beliefs, of customs down your throat. They are there to share the Word with you, worship with you, and support you in any way they can (prayer first)

Luckily that is what I found with my church, now I am in leadership, and NOT an SDA. Guess what I eat pork too.......... No one says a word to me about it, it is their personal choice, not a salvation issue.

TRUE, most of my friends are super healthy! They are calm, good looking, successful, inspiring..........interesting how healthy habits can (my opinion) really effect so many areas
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 274/247.5/149ish

i went to adventist schools and summer camp but am not sda myself. most strict sda folks are veg, some not. i don't ever recall anything about gluttony, either. i was shocked to find that my school pastor wasn't veg.

julie: what school did you go to? I went to the escondido and san pasqual academies, as well as pine springs ranch.

k8-eee: i've been to the self-realization garden in encinitas (north of san diego) and it is BEAUTIFUL - on a bluff by the ocean. i also went to israel a couple of months ago, and now that you mention it, i don't recall seeing one drive thru. of course, they do have plenty of fast food (mmm...felafel), but if you want a shake to go with your hamburger, you have to go next door to the mcd's cafe so that they can keep meat/dairy separate (kosher law).

Last edited by beachpotato; 01-22-2009 at 03:26 PM.
beachpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #20  

You know I have seen that Encinitas SRF out of the train window, we sometimes take the Surfrider from L.A. to Solana Beach....
it looks totally gorgeous! I wonder if you there is a trainstop around there where you could get there on foot?

I love all the SRF's...that is a great life philosophy, I like how they see threads of common truth through all religions. For me garden meditation and yoga is soooo much better than going to church!

That's true about that Kosher food -- most of the teenagers around here who keep Kosher go to this coffee house, all the desserts are made without dairy...they have tofu-filled cream puffs (DELICIOUS BY THE WAY!) It's cute to see the girls in their knee-length skirts and long sleeves, OMG I went to Catholic school and we wore the skirts up to our asses!

For whatever reason the only fat people I ever see going to the temple are the older women, the kids and teenagers in particular just don't seem to thave the wieght problem that you see in schools etc. I think there are so many rules that it makes impulsive eating too difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachpotato View Post
i went to adventist schools and summer camp but am not sda myself. most strict sda folks are veg, some not. i don't ever recall anything about gluttony, either. i was shocked to find that my school pastor wasn't veg.

julie: what school did you go to? I went to the escondido and san pasqual academies, as well as pine springs ranch.

k8-eee: i've been to the self-realization garden in encinitas (north of san diego) and it is BEAUTIFUL - on a bluff by the ocean. i also went to israel a couple of months ago, and now that you mention it, i don't recall seeing one drive thru. of course, they do have plenty of fast food (mmm...felafel), but if you want a shake to go with your hamburger, you have to go next door to the mcd's cafe so that they can keep meat/dairy separate (kosher law).

Last edited by K8-EEE; 01-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #21  

My daughter is a college vegan but she goes to the best school for that (UC Santa Cruz) they are one of the top 10 Peta rated colleges...I know at some schools it would be almost impossible with the cheesy cafeteria food (mac & cheese etc.)

They have super-delish vegan fare every day (the soy chorizo tacos are yummy!) and even a co-op with organic farmers in the bay area, the salad bar is REALLY not crappy! She's so much more disciplined than mom who likes her wine and cheezy snickety snacks, thank you very much!

Actually she's opposite of me in college, for which I'm grateful.

I kind of like that she's hanging with the vegan crowd since they don't seem to do the wild partying/drinking that a lot of college freshman do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted lady View Post
i was a vegetarian for two years but returned to being an omnivore because i gained a lot of weight. being a freshman in college at a school that thinks "vegetarian food" means "crappy salad bar" is pretty tough.

has anyone here read "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs? it's a really interesting "experiment." he attempts to live for a year according to the laws in the bible about dress, food, marital relations, etc. he talks a lot about keeping kosher and what that entails. i love love love Jewish food (kosher or not), but most of the stuff i love is realllly bad for you (lots of schmaltz).
Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #22  

My dad is a Catholic-turned-Buddhist so I am learning a lot about this....well...there are many incarnatons and depictions of Buddha, as it's not a "God" like you would think in the western sense, like the boss, creator, ruler or whatever.

Buddha is a state of enlightenment that anybody can obtain, anybody can become a Buddha. The statues represent a characteristic of Buddha (such as joy, wisdom, etc..)

I THINK that's right! Any Buddhists out there can correct me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar05 View Post
About the Chinese vs. Indian buddha- that is really interesting. For some reason I thought that the skinny buddha represented Siddhartha or something, like a representation of the buddha's previous life as well as his perfected life... Am I totally off base there? I don't know why i thought that.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 191.4/187/150

Height: 5'9

I didn't read through the whole thread, so if this was mentioned please forgive me. I am doing the CHIP program and it is run by the 7th Day Adventists. I can see why it is the healthiest religion out there. If you would like to read more about it, check out my blog. I am going to put more in there more details about the program, so give me a few minutes.

Also, I thought the pictures compairing the two buddah's was funny..probably just my warped sense of humor!
Beachplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 274/247.5/149ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
You know I have seen that Encinitas SRF out of the train window, we sometimes take the Surfrider from L.A. to Solana Beach....
it looks totally gorgeous! I wonder if you there is a trainstop around there where you could get there on foot?
you would have to get off at solana beach and then take a bus up PCH - they run frequently, though.

Quote:
That's true about that Kosher food -- most of the teenagers around here who keep Kosher go to this coffee house, all the desserts are made without dairy...they have tofu-filled cream puffs (DELICIOUS BY THE WAY!)
the ones that i had were nasteeee - don't know if it was because they were mass-produced in the hotel or what. i think i just got tired of all the mousse. everything else was really yummy, though. very easy to stick to whole foods diet.
beachpotato is offline   Reply With Quote