Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey slimmingsi,

Shinto isn't Buddhism--it's a different religion. But anyway, the precepts aren't like commandments. They are rules for proper living--no one is going to get "struck down" for disobedience.

So, some Buddhists decide to ignore the precept about not using intoxicating substances. It's not a good idea, of course, since the practices are all about refining one's consciousness, and alcohol and drugs do just the opposite. But there are feasts in Tibetan Buddhism where a small amount of alcohol can be taken as part of a ritual offering.

For weight loss, alcohol can be a problem because it's all calories and almost no nutrients--empty calories for sure.

Jay
Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Namaste! I'm bumping this thread up just to remind folks it's here.

Please feel free to post questions, comments, and stories of progress. You do not have to be a "card carrying Buddhist" to post (there is no such thing anyway).

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-29-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #18  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You do not have to be a "card carrying Buddhist" to post (there is no such thing anyway).

Jay
((Stops fishing around in her purse for a card that says "Buddhist")) Oh good.

Hi! I'm glad I found this post, and want to thank those who've contributed. I've been studying for about a year now, but would not go so far as to say I've established a reliable practice.

I'd like to share an experience I have had that relates to your topic of attachment:

About six years ago I lost a lot of weight, got very healthy and fit, and was able to buy beautiful clothing that I loved. I had a couple of bad years where I put my weight back on and more, and none of my beautiful clothing fit anymore. Thinking I would lose the weight again, I kept the clothes - sometimes in my closet, sometimes packed in boxes. I've moved twice in that time, always taking those clothes with me.

Earlier this year, I realized that I feel weighed down by the amount of stuff I have, including those clothes. About a month ago, I carefully unpacked and sorted all of them, and thought about people in my life who were those sizes now. I gave them all away to people who wanted and needed them, and those beautiful clothes brought my friends joy, and that in turn brought me joy.

Since then I have lost more than 15 pounds. Bear in mind that I've been trying to lose weight on and off without success for the last six years. This time, though, I am trying to stay present, and do the work I needed to do today to make myself healthy. By letting go of those clothes I have gained immeasurable peace and may well have cleared the way to becoming physically healthier again.

Beautiful things can be enjoyed and appreciated, but there may be a time when it is right to let them go.

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Namaste!

I have moved my response to your post over to Buddhist #4! Please meet up with us over there. Thanks!

Jay
Closed Thread