Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #16  
Looking to Jesus

S/C/G: 212/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Ladies, I'm new to 3 fat Chicks and am so happy to have found it! I, too, am reading the Weigh Down Diet. Fortunately, I checked it out online and read a lot about the author. This way I am now able to read the book and keep it in perspective. I don't agree with all she says, but I know that God will use what He wants me to get from it to help me. I want to check out the other books that have been mentioned here also.
This idea of eating whatever I really want (wisely), when I'm actually hungry and stopping when I'm comfortably full has given me a fresh feeling of freedom! No more constantly thinking of food, worrying that I won't ever get to enjoy the things I want, thus craving them. I know there will always be another opportunity to eat whatever the item is at another time. No more 'gotta have it now or never'!!
I did 1 1/2 sessions of First Place and loved the ladies and the bible study, but felt imprisoned by the effort to keep track of every fat, veg, fruit, etc that I ate every day. It was getting me down and I know that's not what God wants me to feel in this effort. So with high respect for those involved, I have left the group.
I just started this new adventure this past week so pray for me! I'll pray for this group too. Thanks!
peachtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #17  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

I have been trying really hard to eat like this over the past couple weeks, eating when im hungry, stop eating when im "full". Who knew it was going to be so hard!?!?
The biggest thing i am trying to overcome is my "all or nothing" point of view. I was raised that if you are going to take another helping then you have to eat it. The outcome was that if i was still a little bit hungry i would eat a ton more because either you take it and eat it or you dont eat it at all. Like if u want an apple, i have the mentality that if i take the apple i have to eat the whole thing, if i take the granola bar, i have to eat the whole thing, ect...so lately i have been trying to throw away, or put away the rest of the food when i am no longer hungry to eat it. But its difficult!!!
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #18  
Looking to Jesus

Hi 100percentMe! I know what you mean. It's extremely hard for me not to finish whatever is on my plate or to eat the whole candy bar, not throwing half of it away. But that's what I'm working on, too. Today at lunch I cut the chicken patty in half and only put half of it on my little plate. The other half went back in the fridge. That way it wasn't there for me to be tempted by. I know that's no big deal, a half a chicken patty, but it's a start for me. I had some squash and a salad and was full and was very glad that I had put the other half away. I need to start doing this sort of thing every meal now. One thing I'm NOT doing from the book is waiting for my hunger. I'm still eating at regular meal times only cutting portions knowing that if I TRULY feel that I need a little more I can have it.
We are going out tonight for dinner to celebrate our anniversary. I'm trying to decide what to order. And thinking maybe we should just eat at home and go out for a splurge on dessert!? I'll let you know how it went.
I'm so glad I finally found the Weigh Down Diet book! I'm excited about it!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #19  
Babsy

S/C/G: 162/162/128

Height: 5/0"

Hi girls,
I read the Weigh Down Diet several years ago and lost 27 lbs. Unfortunately, I lost focus and gained that back and more. I have tried several things since then, and nothing has proved workable for me. I think I'm ready to try again eating the way God wants me to eat. I definately replace God with food, and I need to relearn how to put Him first. Not as easy for me as it sounds. I really need to lose 10 pounds before June 9th (my b-day and the start of a family vacation) - pray for me?

Babsy
babsyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #20  
Beach Dreaming

S/C/G: 220/205/135

Height: 5'8

Peachtea, It sounds like you are off to a great start! Give yourself credit for cutting your portions. That is such a hard thing to do!
As for the earlier posts, I absolutely agree that Gwen pours on the condemnation heavily and it never really felt like what I was doing would ever measure up to the expectations she sets out in Weigh Down.
pantry raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #21  
Looking to Jesus

Pantry Raider, I'm having that other half of the chicken patty for lunch today, along with lots of steamed broc., caul., and carrots. I'm am so pleased with myself that I am starting to pay attention to my tummy hunger, not my taste buds' greediness! My appetite will always get me into trouble, so now I am checking the tummy fullness and telling my taste buds, 'sorry, maybe later'! With His help, I'll do it. He is a big God, bigger than any trouble I can hand Him, so I'm trusting Him.
I just got a new devotional called [I]Jesus Calling[I]. It's just a short paragraph or two each morning that really hits home. It's helping me too.
Last night DH and I ended up eating chicken, a little noodle side dish and lots of veggies for dinner at home THEN went out for dessert which was only a small Frosty at Wendy's. It was great and more than I needed! I know I'm off to a good start and am thanking God that He will always be there through out this adventure!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #22  
Looking to Jesus

Babsy, You're in my prayers. You'll be lookin' great by June!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #23  
Babsy

S/C/G: 162/162/128

Height: 5/0"

Thank you, Peachtea!
I'm getting ready to go to church today, and I am going to make Him my focus. Knowing that I have people on my side and praying for me is a big help. Hope your day is blessed!

Babsy
babsyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #24  

I am glad I found this thread, because along with following the Volumetrics food plan, I know I need to work on my emotional issues as well.

My husband and I too attended Weigh Down classes years ago, but stopped after we learned she was a false teacher about the trinity. A more gentler book with a similar message is Thin Within, which I own, have skimmed through, but honestly have not really read thoroughly.

But I'm glad this thread was started and if I recall, Gwen had a lot of good advice in her first book. Actually I'm sorry I don't own it anymore, because a lot of her messages were excellent, but her Trinity rejection was a real disappointment to me because that's what my faith is based on.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #25  
Looking to Jesus

Hi Joycelyn, I agree the author has beliefs I don't agree with but I'm trusting the Lord to show me what he wants me to see in this book and I'll lose the rest. I want to check out Thi Within also.
Well, got on the scales thios morning and lost another 2 pounds! So it's 208 now!!!! Yea for me!
Have a great day everyone! God bless you all!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #26  

I'm surprised this thread is still going. I have been searching for a support group that uses these principles without all of Gwen's strange doctrine. I thought her first book was great. I think you can still get it on Amazon for 1 cent with $3.49 shipping. I know the Lord is the answer to the problem and I am glad to find others who share that concept.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #27  
Looking to Jesus

Joycelyn, I meant to ask in my last post what the Volumetrics plan is. I never heard of it.
Carolr, I'm really happy to find this thread too. I got the book from the library after reading a lot about Gwen online. I know God will show me what he wants me to see and I'll let the reat go by. I haven't seen her second book.
Someone mentioned Thin Within. I want to get it when I take this one back to the library.
God bless you all. I hope your day is going great!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #28  

Hi,
I was looking around the boards here and saw your support group. I posted in a couple other threads but they don't look very active. I really need some support to just get me started! I think I can consider myself to be the great procrastinator and because of my weight I feel like losing weight is something too hard to obtain. Shame on me for hanging on to thoughts like that, but that's how it is. I saw all your positive feedback and hope it's ok if I jump in here and make myself a part of this group. SOS I really would like to lose weight... Oh.. and btw, I purchased the Weigh Down tapes and workbook off of ebay a couple of months ago. We moved recently and my hubby pulled the tapes out of the garage today. I don't know what to do but I know I need to do something!!! Thanks for posting the info about it. I'll take in consideration the pros and the cons about her program.
sugarbaby269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #29  

Peachtree, I think Thin Within is a good program but I found the book to be rather cumbersome........a little more detailed than I needed. I think they did a lot of delving into your past and that wasn't what I was looking for. I once even talked with the author and she was sweet but didn't really have an answer for my question (what to do when taking prednisone). My hardest problem is dealing with hunger. For example, today I had a small breakfast and then went shopping with my daughter. We were starving when we finally ate and 2 hr. later I was still hungry. That's the kind of problems that I don't know what to do with.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #30  
Looking to Jesus

Sugarbaby... I know how you feel when you say you think losing weight is too hard to obtain, but it's NOT! I don't have the Weigh Down tapes, but I'll bet they're good. Get your tapes going and read the book. I'll bet you'll get that jump start you need.
Carolr...The book was a great help to me. I'm almost done with it. It has made me start checking my hunger level when I'm tempted to eat instead of following my appetite. My appetite is my problem. I'm seldom ever hungry. I use to think it was hunger but one day realized it was just appetite, not hunger. Hunger I feel in the gut, appetite I feel in the taste buds. This has been a real eye opener for me. Of course, I thank God for that!
I've never been on Prednisone and don't know how it affects hunger so I can't help you there. Maybe you aren't eating enough at mealtimes and maybe you could keep a small snack with you like packages of peanut butter and crackers or something. My co-worker had gastric bypass surgery so she can't eat much at each meal so she has crackers and little bags of dry cereal in her desk always. She eats every couple of hours. She was 250 and is now 126.
God bless all! Have a great day!