Question about Shoes

• Okay, y'all might think I'm dumb, but What are cross-training shoes? I am looking for a good pair of shoes that I can Both walk in and do aerobics (Step and other). Are the cross trianer shoes good for that? I see lots of shoes for Walking and I can really only afford one pair.
    Thanks!
    Roni
  • That's not a dumb question! There are so many different gym shoes out there it boggles the mind! I was totally confused and intimidated by all the choices. I finally just went to a store (Lady Footlocker) where I felt they had knowledgeable salespeople, told the salesperson what I wanted to use the shoe for and what I was looking for (a little more support that I was getting from my $20 Reeboks), and then went with her suggestion, which has worked out (in fact, as soon as I put the shoe on for the first time I could feel a huge difference).
  • I've been wondering the same thing
    I have some shoes that I paid some good money for. They are supposed to be good work out shoes. I hate them. Maybe Adidas isn't a match for my feet.

I have plantar faciitis and fittings are difficult for me. So, I'd like some advice as well.

I want to be able to walk for a few blocks without my feet calling me names and threatening me with pain for extended periods of time. (I'm sure that's what they are doing to me. )

There is nothing chasing me, so I don't run.
  • I live in a small town and the only store to go and buy is Walmart. I was hoping to order online, but I really need to know if the cross trainers are what I am looking for? zthe shoes I use now are hurting me and making me feel like I have brusises on the bottoms of my feet. Not to inspiring to work-out.
  • I don't exactly know what a cross trainer shoe is, but maybe this link will help?

http://www.onlineshoes.com/Running/ShoeFinder.asp
  • A cross-trainer shoe is a shoe that's designed to be pretty good for a lot of different uses, but not great for any one use. It's less specialized than a lot of shoes are and it's a good choice if you're doing a little of this and a little of that. If you're doing a lot of any one activity you'd be better off getting a shoe that's designed for that activity (walking shoes, aerobics shoes, etc). That link is for running shoes.

If there's any way you can get to a bigger town with an athletic shoe/athletic gear shop, it's always better to buy shoes in person--what feels comfortable on Person A's size 9 feet might not feel so good on Person B's. There's no one shoe that's going to work for every wearer.

cbmare, how did you come to have the Adidas shoes? Did you get them on the advice of someone who took your feet and needs into account? For just walking (no aerobics) you'd probably do well to go to a running gear shop. Here's a list of running and triathlon clubs in the Bay Area (http://www.changeofpace.com/ncalifornia_clubs.html). Call one local to you and ask them what store(s) they recommend for good shoe advice. (Also, you can google for exercises that will help with the PF.)
  • Quote: cbmare, how did you come to have the Adidas shoes? Did you get them on the advice of someone who took your feet and needs into account? For just walking (no aerobics) you'd probably do well to go to a running gear shop. Here's a list of running and triathlon clubs in the Bay Area (http://www.changeofpace.com/ncalifornia_clubs.html). Call one local to you and ask them what store(s) they recommend for good shoe advice. (Also, you can google for exercises that will help with the PF.)
    I've forgotten how I got them. It was so long ago.

Now I have another question. How long is too long to keep them? I normally wear mine until they are falling apart. Also, if I find a pair that is comfy, I tend to wear them all the time. Maybe I should just be wearing them when I'm walking or exercising and change to others when I'm not.

Thanks so much for the info.

Geez, I feel stupid.
  • Diva - be careful about what feels like bruises on your heels; they may be the beginning of bone spurs or plantar fatia (I don't know how to spell that). Do your best to find a store nearby that specializes in athletic shoes. We have one here where I live and I have to tell them that I have bone spurs and then they take that into account when the start fitting me with shoes. Walking or working out is no fun when your feet hurt, so invest the money into a great pair of shoes and you'll start enjoying walking again.
  • Quote:
    How long is too long to keep them? I normally wear mine until they are falling apart. Also, if I find a pair that is comfy, I tend to wear them all the time. Maybe I should just be wearing them when I'm walking or exercising and change to others when I'm not.
    When they stop giving you the support or cushioning they should, they're done.

Running shoes for runners are generally expected to last for 300-500 miles. I'd guess that walking shoes would have about the same lifesapn, but that's just a guess.

If you're wearing these shoes for street (non-exercise) wear, you'd count daily life activities as part of the mileage the shoes have been used for. Personally, I try to limit the running shoes to when I'm actually running, and I have different comfy shoes for normal street wear. On the other hand, there's a lot of overlap between walking for exercise and walking to, say, buy groceries and it doesn't work that way with running.

Oh. And please don't feel stupid. We all learn sometime. You're asking good questions.
  • I just asked that same question in the store a couple weeks ago and yes, cross trainer shoes are for different types of activity. The clerk explained to me... and I could see... that they generally are a little more sturdy or "solid" on the tops and are good for basketball and that type of thing, whereas running shoes are lighter weight and can have the really light "breathable" mesh, etc. on top.

I decided on the running shoes because I really like them as lightweight as possible and I do a lot of walking, and training on a Gazelle and occasionally in the gym, etc.

I have plantar fasciitis also and I really like Saucony shoes... you might try on a pair to see how they feel for you. I've also found that men's sneakers are a bit wider in the toe so if your toes tend to get numb or feel cramped, you might check that out too.