Question re: sports bra/exercise and skin issues

• Possibly TMI, but...

Since I started exercising regularly and spending a good amount of time in a sports bra, my back has started breaking out. Not really bad or anything, but there is definitely acne there where there wasn't before...and it only shows up in the places my sports bra hits. I've tried multiple bras, and they all cause the same problem.

I don't know what else to try! I live 5 min from the gym and change clothes the second I get home, out of the sports bra, and shower. I was my back with an antibacterial soap in the shower with a poof on a long handle. I tried treating it with clearasil pads, but then I can't quite reach it all so I don't think it was very effective, and no way am I going to ask my SO, no matter how in love I am, to do that for me.

I will say that I have very sensitive, but not necessarily acne-prone skin. My skin already gets this sort of abrasion-looking thing on the tops of my shoulders every time I use the leg press...my trainer calls it a "war wound" and I have accepted it because it goes away in a few days and doesn't hurt or anything. But I am so grossed out by this acne that I really don't want to have to accept it. I mean, its not like my back is covered in them - but its enough that I am very self conscious especially when changing at the gym and etc.

Anyone have anything? Or at least tell me that this happens to you too, so I don't feel quite so icky about it?
  • Hey,
    I have the same issue but on my butt. when I wear work out, synthetic material pants, I totally break out. I too shower right away, use neutrogena acne soap but I can't get it to go away either. not that this helps but you arn't the only one out there.
    if you figure somehting out let me know.
  • Are you always wearing a clean bra? Or could you be reacting to your laundry detergent or softener, maybe?
  • I suspect this might be a reaction to sweating. I will sometimes get acne in areas where I sweat a lot. Your sports bra could be trapping the moisture caused by your sweat (jennie934, your underwear could be causing the same thing). Maybe if you could find a bra made out of material that was specifically designed to breathe and be moisture-wicking it would help.

Also, Neutragena does nothing for me (if anything, it makes my acne worse) but the Biore products (particularly the ones with salicylic acid) and sea breeze toner with salicylic acid really cleaned up all the acne I had on my face. Maybe using products like this would help with your back.
  • Not to undermine your problem, I know how embarrassing acne is - hubby breaks out all over his back - but guess what's been growing and spreading like wildfire underneath my sports bras in those sweaty areas?

**********BIG UGLY MOLES!**********

AHHHHHH!!!!!!

(and short of having them all removed I'm stuck with them for good )

Go to your dermatologist. He/she should be able to help you find a solution to your acne problem.
  • I have the same problem - it's not too bad yet but definitely annoying. I got that "war wound" too for the first time last night! I couldn't believe it when I came home to shower and I was all bruised on my shoulders. I"m glad it doesn't hurt though. I sweat SO much when I workout...so it's just asking for problems. I'm not usually acne-prone either. Sorry I don't have any good tips but wanted to commiserate!
  • I'm struggling with adult acne too but unfortunately mine is on my neck and face for the whole world to admire... My physician has prescribed an oral antibiotic for me to take two times a day for the next few months. It's kind of working we will see.

I agree with BattlingtheBulge, you might want to see a dermo or even just your general physician. If it is a cystic type of acne it will only get worse not to mention painful. I have had it on my back as a teenager. Ouch.

Good luck.
  • Thanks for the commiseration, everyone, and the tips.

To answer questions, I always use a clean sports bra (I sweat WAAAY to much not to). I guess a dermo is the next step.

At least I know I'm not alone.