3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Spinning/Ouch! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/96983-spinning-ouch.html)

illinichick 10-29-2006 08:00 PM

Spinning/Ouch!

I've just started Spinning. I absolutely LOVE it and love how I feel when I'm done except for one thing. My butt is SORE for at least two days after each class. I tried a padded seat this morning, but it was slippery and I think it actually made it worse.

Two questions
1. Does anything help?
2. How long until you get used to it?

Thanks friends! :)

Meg 10-29-2006 08:07 PM

It only took about two weeks for my butt to toughen up, but it just KILLED me at first! :devil: How long have you been spinning?

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that helps besides the padded seats. Hope you're feeling better soon. :hug:

Mel 10-29-2006 08:53 PM

You can get bike shorts which have foam or gel pads sewn directly into the pants. The gel ones are more expenseive, but very worth it! I use a padded set and gel pants on long rides or just the pants for a spinning class.

Most sporting goods store carry them and all bike shops do. I actually found both cheap foam and expensive gel pants at marshalls and t j maxx, but that was sheer luck!

Mel

illinichick 10-29-2006 09:01 PM

This week will be my second week. It hurts to sit in my bathtub :( haha. I think I will keep going for another two weeks or so and buy the gel pants if there's no improvement. :) I'm just glad there are others that "know the pain". hehe.

Tara D 10-29-2006 10:31 PM

I think it also took a couple of weeks to go away for me when I went fairly consistently. I find spinning a bit boring after a few classes, so I've stopped and restarted a few times. Unfortunately, the butt pain comes back if that break is too long!

Hale_Mary 10-30-2006 07:54 AM

The first time I attended a spin class I made the mistake of going the very next day. I was in agony the entire time because my butt was so sore. But after a couple weeks, the soreness went away and wasn't an issue anymore.

Kreen 10-30-2006 11:00 AM

The first day I was in so much pain I wondered if I'b be able to bear children after thiis class, lol. But I got the padded seat and felt fine. Now I can use it or not and feel perfectly fine. Stick with it, the pain will subside soon.

Sojourner 10-30-2006 12:40 PM

Absolutely get cycling shorts and combine them with a gel seat pad that you attach to the regular seat... you should be able to buy both at a cycle shop.. After a few classes you will "toughen up" in those tender spots (!) and it won't be so agonizing. I am about to feel you pain as today I start back to spinning after a long hiatus. Oh man I am going to be so sore in so many places!

mikelli 10-30-2006 06:50 PM

Glad to see this posted I was afraid to go back after my 1st spin class!:fr: I didn't want my dh go even look at me I was so sore! :o I just may have to go out and get the gel bike pants and try the class again. I liked every thing about the class besides that darn seat! ;)

Tara D 11-03-2006 08:11 AM

Aerobics class was cancelled yesterday morning...Ended up at spinning instead...ouch this morning!!!

illinichick 11-03-2006 08:58 PM

Okay, I've kept at it, spinning every other day... I haven't had a chance to go out to buy shorts/padded seat. I've found that I'm only sore for about five minutes into the class, but then after class/shower, I feel like my butt has a permanent imprint of the seat. :eek:

Oh well, it's still more fun than step class.

Oh, and I like this smilie :trampo:

sierra_ttw 11-05-2006 06:50 PM

It depends on how much cycling you normally do - I cycle 3-4 times a week, so a spinning class usually only hurts for a little while 'cause my bum's already used to it. When I pull my bike out in the spring, though, it generally takes about a week to feel better. And absolutely get some padded shorts - they make all the difference in the world!