Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Default Home Gym Recommendations Wanted

I've been thinking about what to do when my one year membership at Curves expires. I was planning on joining a different gym that has more equipment, but I live in a small town and the options around here are rather limited. Also, it is proving difficult already for me to get in as gym time as I would like because we don't have any 24-hour gyms around here. Most of them roll up the sidewalks at about 7 p.m.

So I've been thinking about buying a home gym instead, maybe in combination with some free weights. I think I could spend around $1500 on it, maybe as high as $2000 if I could get a much better value at that price point. I'm looking for something to do strength training--I'm already doing walking for cardio.

I've been looking at some of the BodyCraft gyms. Does anyone have comments on those, or recommendations for other home gyms?
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #2  

Hey! I don't know much about BodyCraft. When I was researching gyms I came across them a few times, but most glowing reviews I found were for Bowflex. I just bought a Bowflex (just started a thread about it actually!) and I really like it. I bought the Xtreme2. It was $1499 and since I got it at a sporting goods store, there was no shipping. We bought this model because it switches between exercises without having to unhook the rods or adjust any pulleys. It means you can do a modified circuit because you can switch between exercises without resting in between. It isn't a true cardio workout, but it does keep your heartrate up and since you do other cardio it might work well for you.

I haven't had a chance to see results yet, but I feel good. It will "grow" with me as I get stronger and there are over 70 exercises you can do with it.

I know what you mean about being in a small town. We only have a Curves and the YMCA. I have a toddler so I can really only work out when she is asleep, so after 9:30 at night.

Good luck with your choice and if there is anything I can help you with let me know.
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #3  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Meredith-
My mom tells me I used to "help" her workout. I would dance to her music when she was doing aerobics and sit on her legs when she was doing lifts/Jane Fonda. She would also pick me up when she was doing squats. My momma's a true fitness freak. She was swimming at least mile a day up 'til she was 8 months preggers with me and the doctor told her to take it easy. Now she's 50 years old and training for marathons. I still wonder if I was adopted sometimes.

Fiddler- I love my free weights; I've got them in 3, 5, 8, and 10 lbs. Nice and cheap too!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote