3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Not sure if this is OT, but I don't think so... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/95749-not-sure-if-ot-but-i-dont-think-so.html)

Libby1972 10-10-2006 10:04 PM

Not sure if this is OT, but I don't think so...

I have lost 63 lbs in the last year. And at the beginning I was measured and was told that I was 5' tall. My hubby measured me tonight and I'm 5' 1". Could I have grown an inch???

Should I go with this or confirm with my doc? I don't want to get my hopes up, but I shrunk two inches from 5' 2" to 5' after my son was born and it really bummed me out. This changes my BMI, my healthy weight range (slightly). This is significant. I think.. I know that exercise can strengthen bones and prevent bone loss in the future. Could my exercise and healthy eating cause me to grow? If so, I'm going to triple it!!! Just kidding. :)

jelynn 10-10-2006 10:34 PM

I don't know about actually growing. But for sure as your core is stronger, your posture is better. Maybe that is where that inch came from? Cool though :)

Only Me 10-10-2006 11:04 PM

Were you measured both times at the same time of day? I think I read somewhere that we're at our tallest when we get out of bed and lose some height through the day. I think I also read that you lose a couple of inches while running a marathon, but gain it back with rest. In both cases it's because the spinal cord gets compressed and then recovers overnight.

softballmom 10-11-2006 08:20 AM

I've heard similar info that Only Me gave. I always thought I was 5'1" and then over the summer my kid's pediatrician measured me for fun, and I had an extra 1/2 inch "added". But you are very correct that you have been strengthening your bones and core, so maybe you are standing taller. Next time you're at your doctor, have them check it out for your peace of mind.

HarpoChicoGroucho 10-11-2006 08:55 AM

I've "grown" too since losing weight -- I heard someone say your spine decompresses after weight loss resulting in added height. In high school, I was always 5'6'' -- and now I'm really close to 5'8." I saw an old friend from high school and she was like, "did you grow? I don't remember being able to see eye to eye with you." I don't know if I happened to not have finished growing, but I definitely added a good 1.5 inches after my senior year in high school.

Lydia227 10-11-2006 01:22 PM

Wow Libby, this is very exciting! I want to be taller too! :carrot:

I can understand feeling worried about losing the two inches in height after a pregnancy. My mother began early stages of osteoporosis in her forties so I'm watching this pretty close for myself. I don't have an answer for you though. Maybe you were measured incorrectly the first time, two inches seems like a lot. Maybe with the weightloss, 63lbs, your body has adjusted with better posture which may account for an extra inch. Don't know. But congratulations anyway! Wow, taller and leaner! 63lbs is just awesome!

I love reading about all the great things weight training can do for us after I just had a good workout. :wl: