Headaches after working out

• I have been getting terrible headaches after I work out. It happens mostly when I do cardio, but it has also happened after strength training. It also doesn't matter if I workout over my lunch hour or after work.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks
  • Are you keeping yourself hydrated enough for your work-outs? Another thing could be breathing.......maybe your not getting enough oxygen?
  • Quote: Are you keeping yourself hydrated enough for your work-outs? Another thing could be breathing.......maybe your not getting enough oxygen?

I take a 20 oz bottle of water with true lemon with me. I drink baout 1/2 to 3/4 while working out and then finish the rest after the workout. I also sweat really bad during cardio and strength training (gross I know). So I guess I could be getting dehydrated.
  • I would have also said you could be dehydrated. I drink about 20 -32 oz before and about another 32 during. When I don't do this, I get a headache. Good luck.
  • I was going to ask if you were maybe dehydrated. I know that in the past I'd always get a headache with even minimal activity. I'm a Diet Coke addict, so I hardly ever drank water. Now that I'm up to between 60oz and 100oz a day, I haven't gotten a headache and I've been working out a million times more than before!

And I had ALWAYS gotten a headache when I did anything strenuous. I mean, this goes back to the 5th grade when I was on the basketball team. (Yeah, I know... I was one of the tallest in my class at 5' and only weighed 100lbs back then. What the **** happened? LOL)

• Yes - double and triple your water intake.

I am a big-time sweaty girl when I work out too - once I weighed myself before and after my workout without drinking any water during...I lost nearly 4 cups of water through sweat and exhaling (gross, right?). And I used to get headaches too! Just keep the water intake up, and try the before/after weighing...it might be eye opening for you.
  • Oh man, I sweat so much I can easily lose two or three pounds of water when working out. Seriously, I've weighed myself before and after and sometimes...three pounds lighter after. That's a lot of sweat!

This response was posted to a question about getting headaches when running on my gym website (the response is from the gym's national staff, not just some yahoo who works out there so it has some credibility): "There are several reasons why you might have a headache when you run. One may be due to not eating before you work out. If you are working out for more than 60-90 minutes, it is a good idea to eat a few hours before you work out to prevent nausea or headaches and supply your body with the appropriate amount of energy. Another cause can include inadequate sleep or a stressful day at school or work. Lastly, running can also cause an exertion headache from the increased pressure in your head. If this occurs all the time, you may want to see your doctor."

It doesn't sound like this is the case, but if you are working out outside, it could be the sun. I used to run outside and I would get bad headaches afterwards. Once I started wearing a hat (which I hated because it made me sweat more) or running in the evenings when the sun was less strong, the headaches stopped.

I think the other suggestions about making sure you are staying hydrated are also good.

- Barbara
  • You might want to try drinking more water throughout the day before you exercise. And research suggests that water is more easily absorbed if you take a few big gulps at a time rather than little sips. Depending on how your stomach takes to it, could be a good or bad thing, personally I can down half a litre in the middle of class and be perfectly fine.
  • I, too get terrible headaches after working out, especially running..
    I also suffer from terrible migraine headaches...
    My doctor and I have been working together to try and stop these headaches, but for now he has me on a light exercize regimen...
    My migraines are caused by stress... the more stressed out I am feeling, the bigger a headache I get both when I exercize, and when I am sitting on my rear...
    I have found that if I do a little yoga and deep breathing before hopping on the bike or taking a stroll, plus drinking a lot of water, it really does help with the headaches...
    That being said, maybe there's something weighing on your mind??... You should observe some stress factors in your life, and then see if the breating helps you..
    Take care!!
  • Hey rockergirl....make sure your not exercising on an empty stomach. I read that eating a handfull of cheerios is good thing to eat before you exercise and a handfull of almonds afterwards is good for you...so that's what I do.
  • Hi RockerGirl!

I agree with the previous suggestions of increasing water intake as well as proper nutition prior to your workout. I would also have your blood pressure checked when you are at rest to be sure you are not at risk for borderline high blood pressure. When we lift heavy it can cause a quick spike in blood pressure.

The headaches may be a warning that your blood presssure is a little higher than it should be during your workout. Just a suggestion.
    It's something I have to watch for myself.