3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Just Started Working Out - and LOVING IT! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/92612-just-started-working-out-loving.html)

laurelei 08-29-2006 11:16 AM

Just Started Working Out - and LOVING IT!

I just started my first "real" diet yesterday. In the past I have dieted but it had only lasted for a week, if not less. And in all those diets from the past, I had never exercised. Boy, was I a dummy!
I'm a freshman at college right now and there is a gym here that all students have a membership to. Luckily, it's down the street from me so it's easy to get to. I have never even been to a gym before yesterday. I decided to work out (since I started my diet) and I'll admit, I was pretty nervous about going to a gym as a newbie.
Well, I worked out on the treadmill and the stationary bike for 40 minutes and it made me feel great! :carrot: I wanted to stay longer but it was really crowded and hard to find an empty machine. I think next time I go I will have someone explain all the machines to me and show me how to use them. I absolutely LOVE exercise now! It boosted my mood and made me feel good about myself! I can't wait until I get to workout today, I'm going back to the gym after lunch. I never thought I would actually look foward to working out. ;)
-Lauren

Does anyone have some advice for a gym newbie?

2frustrated 08-29-2006 11:20 AM

YAY! That's the greatest thing!

Welcome to the fitness world ;)

laurelei 08-29-2006 11:22 AM

Thanks! :)

Get n healthy 08-29-2006 01:07 PM

Good for you. Isnt that crazy how much it boosts your mood, confidence, energy? I was VERY new to gyms when i first started my new lifestyle too. I was VERY imtimidated by all the "beautiful" people who were in perfect shape, and just as intimidated by all the machines. While i was on the ellipitical i would scan everybody on the machines and watch how they used them and the weights that they used. I learned a lot just from watching but if you can ask someone that would be even better. I was just too insecure to ask some hot guy that worked that. ha ha. But i agree. When i went off my diet, i thought, "how did i ever exercise everyday? I just dont have the energy for it." But once i started back i quickly remembered how exercising gives you so much more energy than it takes. Keep up the good work.

kristine724 08-29-2006 02:23 PM

I just signed up for a gym membership this weekend. Boy are you right about the energy coming back! I worked out yesterday for the first time in probably 10 years and I loved it. 30 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes stretching, and 15 minutes of repetition workout on my lower body. I felt great when I walked out of the gym. I do suggest that if you are going to use machines that you are unfamiliar with, to watch other people use them, as well as ask for guidance so that you don't hurt yourself by using the equipment incorrectly. I have 2 free appointment with a trainer at the gym and they show me all the equipment and how to use all of it. Keep up the good workouts, I know I will!!!!