walking music

• I am new to this world, (cyber and diet), and want to incorporate walking into my daily schedule as my first attempt at exercise. I think I will like walking and I have two labs that would just love for me to take them out every morning. Now that the weather is beginning to cool a little I am ready to begin. I've shopped for my new walkin shoes and have comfy pants that will hopefully prevent chafing. I think I would prefer walking to some great music, with the right tempo to keep me at 3mph or so, but maybe with one or two faster songs in the middle. I'm not adept enough to make my own tape, but can somebody suggest one that I could purchase, or even buy one from someone out there that you have made and have found success with. I really think that with the right music I could get going, once and for all.

Thanks so much!'

Debbie
  • I have enjoyed Leslie Sansone's walk CD's. They are available at her site, as well as Collage video and amazon. Collage has many others I think, also.

Michele
  • Thanks, Michelle, I'm going there now to take a look!

Deb
  • You might try fitpod.com...they have free downloadable mp3's and they tell you how many beats per minute the songs are so you can pick on out to go with whatever you are doing. It really is a great site. Nikewomen.com also has some awesome (and free) downloadable mixes, they do a new one each month. They are a little up tempo though, maybe suitable for power walking...
  • ummmm, I am a 70's and 80's fan, and I found disco music is fun to walk to, now, don't all laugh out loud, it is fun energetic, and has a great beat to walk to. For the past month and a half, i have been walking to disc 1 of Queen's greatest hits, they are terrific, and i get 3 miles in in less than the 59 minutes of the CD. I love to walk with them!!! Queen all the way!!!
  • Thanks for all the ideas, Chickies. I'm looking forward to getting out into the fresh air.
  • I find that flashy Techno *if you can stomach it* Works well.
  • I have my ipod loaded with lots of upbeat country and "oldies" that I like to sing along to (quietly, so I don't scare off everyone else in the gym ). I make my own playlists so I have about the right amount of music for the time I'm planning to exercise, with a warm-up and cool-down "built in." When I do weights, I usually listen to an audiobook or podcast of a radio show.