Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #1  
back on track

S/C/G: 184/ticker/130(?)

Height: 5'8"

Angry Worse shape than I thought!

I've been on a low calorie diet for 2 weeks (1800 calories per day) and i thought I would add exercise (my dreaded enemy) into my weightloss plan so that I can get into better shape as well.

So today i thought i would hop on the treadmill and start out at this work out.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/artic...-490-1,00.html

Big mistake - i couldn't even get past the first 10 minutes, it was a total disaster, and left me feeling even worse about myself. I want to do at least 45 minutes of cardio a day, and i do have access to a treadmill, elliptical trainer, a rower, and bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start out at doing cardio, and not be exhausted after ten minutes. I want to push myself a bit, but im not in very good shape, so i dont want it to be so hard that im not motivated to ever do it again.
mandi<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #2  
No description available.

Do 10 minutes today and 10 minutes tomorrow and then add 30 seconds every other day until you work up to 45 minutes.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #3  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Yup....You are not gonna run a marathon anytime soon but all you have is time....the rest of your life. Take it small and easy til you gain more strenghth. I started walking very slow but about a mile at 1st. I didn't even attempt it til I lost enough weight to feel at least a lil more comforable. Now I can run, taking walking breaks, 3 miles. My next goal is one full mile no stopping...then 1.5...then 2 and so on.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

That first time on the treadmill can be a doozy!

My first time, I totally thought I was going to die after ten minutes. Plus, I was sweating so much, I thought for sure that I would short out the machine. It was my first time at the gym, so of course I hadn't thought to bring a towel--it was not a pretty sight! But you'll be surprised how fast you build up some endurance. I started out doing just ten minutes (along with weights) just three days week and in just a couple of months I was up to 30 minutes. Unfortunately, I still sweat just as much. I guess there's nothing to be done about that!

I agree with what everyone else has suggested. My only addition would be to try to spend a minute or so at your maximum pace, but otherwise just do what you can. Then just try to increase the time a little each week (or every other day).

You could also try a fast walk (a setting of say 3.0 to 3.5 would be good) with an incline (try somewhere between 3.0 to 5.0 to start out, if that is too easy or too hard, adjust it). Adding an incline to your walk ramps up the intensity but won't be as hard as running. Then maybe run for a couple of minutes (reduce the incline for this part). Over time you can decrease the walking time and increase the running.

It's also good to mix it up a bit. Try some of the machines other than the treadmill. When I first started, I found everything (stairs, elliptical, bicycle)easier than the treadmill. It's good to work different muscle groups and you'll also get a feel for what you like. Plus, the treadmill is hard on your legs, so it's good to give yourself a break from it.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

That's a really challenging workout for someone just starting (or someone starting over, like me). 4.5 mph is pretty darned fast for me, and I have long legs. You might want to try the couch to 5k routine (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ), which is a little easier for a beginner. When I stopped working out on my treadmill in November, I was up to running for 10 straight minutes. Now, I'll need to start all over.

You can do it.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #6  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Hmm.. that work out does look pretty difficult for a beginning. I've been working out for years and 4.5mph for me is still a jog.. not a "brisk walk." I agree with everyone else. If you can only do 10min, do 10. Then the next day add 30 seconds.

Don't get discouraged!! I've found that even when I'm not losing weight very quickly, my stamina and ability to work out continues to increase. And remember, nothing worth having is quick and easy. It will take time, hard work, and a lot of sweat but you will be and feel so much healthier because of it!!
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #7  
No description available.

This thread made me think about my first time on an elliptical--in the store in front of DH (who is very fit) and the salesman (also very fit).

I did 30 seconds before I had to quit. VERY embarassing!

Today I ran for nearly an hour and a half.

It gets better...I promise! Consistency is rewarded in exercise!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

try intervals-- warm up and then do one minute at a pace you can sustain, and then push yourself for 30 seconds. repeat until you've finished your workout. I like to do this outside when i run-- sprint a block, then easy jog a block (it's called afartlek). you can also do hill intervals-- 1 minute flat, 1 minute hill, etc. Many cardio machines programs for hill intervals (but not for speed intervals).
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hey I think you are doing great for just starting out... don't try to do stuff that is too strenuous for you until you work your way up to it. You'll be surprised at how quickly you are able to do more and more once you get started!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #10  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm a lot bigger than you Mandi and have less endurance. But this is what I do...I warm up first - I stretch my legs. Then I get on the ellipticle because it's low impact. I go 2 minutes then I drop dead, I wait about 1 minute and continue until I reach 1 mile. I go about 10 mph btw. But this is something you have to build up to - take it slowly. You don't want to kill yourself because then working out will not be enjoyable (eventually). I think you'll enjoy working out more once you start to build up your endurance and you see results. So make your journey as pleasureable as possible because you'll be at it for a while.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:49 AM   #11  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I think it might help too if you start working little bits of exercise into your daily routing - walking to the store instead of driving, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, going for a walk on your lunch break instead of sitting - they seem little, but they get your body used to moving more, and every little bit helps. Even when I was heavier I was walking everywhere (literally - if it took an hour or less to walk somewhere I'd walk, even when the car would only take 10 minutes), which meant that when I started trying to lose weight and exercise more vigorously, it wasn't as hard. And the little changes are a lot easier to make than the big ones! Good luck, and as tough as it is, you'll get there if you keep pushing.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

All great advise everyone, I just want to reiterate Mandi that with time and persistance you will get better. At least you started working out and eating healthy, keep up the great work
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
BY carolshmaro: I'm a lot bigger than you Mandi and have less endurance. But this is what I do...I warm up first - I stretch my legs. Then I get on the ellipticle because it's low impact. I go 2 minutes then I drop dead, I wait about 1 minute and continue until I reach 1 mile. I go about 10 mph btw.
Do you really mean this? The runners who win our 5K races around here - totally fit teenage boys - do it in about 17 minutes. That means that they're running 3.1 miles in 17 minutes. Math is not my greatest skill, but say they were running 3 miles in 15 minutes or a mile in 5 minutes (that's close enough) they would then be running 12 mph. So to go 10 mph means you could cover 1 mile in 6 minutes. Do perhaps you mean you're doing a 10 minute mile? That's 6 mph, and a good running pace. The elliptical machines in my gym measure revolutions rather than speed, but on a treadmill which does read in mph, I can walk briskly at 3.6 or 3.7, and when I run it's usually in the high 4's, or maybe 5 mph. I'm short and only in average shape and that gives me a great workout.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #14  

I had the same problem. I cpouldnt do more than 10 minutes running on a treadmill. But now after 3-4 months I can do 20 minutes non-stop running!
Start with a low speed (5-6 like brisk walk) but dont walk...run! Run slowly! Try to breathe from your nose and not mouth. get some music! Run slowly and do it till you ar really exhausted. I am sure you will see you can easily do 12-15 mins atleast. Now increase the speed slowly by few points each day and try to break your own record by doing 1 minute more than yesterday!

These tricks which my hubby taught me really really helpled!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Acckkk!!!! 5 or 6 is sprinting for me! I'm more out of shape than I thought.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote