3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Are The Calorie Counters On Cardio Machines Accurate? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/88023-calorie-counters-cardio-machines-accurate.html)

Meg 06-28-2006 07:31 PM

Are The Calorie Counters On Cardio Machines Accurate?

northernbelle 06-28-2006 10:01 PM

Although I keep track of the machine readouts, I don't depend on them to judge my workouts. With each type of cardio, I have a set goal; examples:

- brisk: work at my aerobic capacity, just short of being out of breath, and increase my endurance at these speeds

- high intensity: work above my aerobic capacity into my lactic acid threshold or VO2 maximum; I do get out of breath and feel like I will burst. The goals are to force my cardio vascular system to deal with the stress, thereby becoming stronger, deal more efficiently with lactic acid, and increase my jogging/running intervals.

I increase the time/intensity and do it until it becomes more comfortable, before increasing again. The machine readouts just reinforce my progress, because they go up as I do.

leanbodyfitness 06-29-2006 08:32 AM

another thing to consider is that as you do aerobic exercise, your body becomes more efficient at burning calories over time.

Example, you start a workout regiment that is just a 30 minute walk on a treadmill a day. let's say you burn 100 calories during that time period at first. as your body starts to adapt to the new stimulus (walking), the adaptation results in your body configuring itself to burn less calories during (and after) the activity, so after few weeks, at the same intensity and duration, you may only be burning 75 calories.

GetSerious 08-13-2006 08:54 PM

From what Ive read. The treadmill is the only cardio machine that accurately measures calories burned.

UWPiPhiAngel 11-08-2006 10:07 AM

I'm glad I found this thread! I was just wondering about this... luckily I've been going by what FitDay says, which is 500 something calories per hour instead of the 800 that the elliptical reads. I'm a little disappointed that the "extra deficit" I wasn't counting actually doesn't exist though.

Mami 11-30-2006 09:21 AM

How many calories do you burn from using the weights? Say you are an experienced weight lifter lifting quite heavy (e.g. chest presses with 25 pounds in each hand), doing 2 sets of 12 to 15, and you weigh the 150s. Thanks!

ladyinwhite 01-01-2007 08:17 PM

heart monitor

It's my understanding that a heart monitor accurately measures calories burned. They aren't very expensive and well worth the money. When I first started working out regularly, I wore it religiously to make sure my heart rate stayed in the most efficient calorie burning range. Loved it as a motivator!!

RocknRoll 01-15-2007 12:23 PM

I don't believe the machines at the gym so i use the Body By glamour program that takes your height and weight and programs how much you really burned. It opened my eyes when 320 calories on the elliptical really turned out to be 278!

SlimLindy 01-17-2007 01:15 AM

I bought a heart rate monitor and have been wearing it to do outdoor runs, treadmill runs, elliptical workouts, weighlifting, and step aerobics. IT'S TRUE... the machines are WAY off. For the run I do on the treadmill, the machine says I am burning 600 calories. My heart rate monitor says just over 400. And that is what is says when I do the same distance in the same time outside. On the elliptical the machine says approximately 700 calories burned in 60 minutes; the heart rate monitor says approximately 450. I've done these workouts several times on each machine, and the machines are just as off every time. Interesting (and slightly annoying) to note that the machines are ALWAYS TOO HIGH! I guess the manufacturers of exercise equipment are trying to appeal to the same instinct that the clothing manufacturers who do "vanity sizing" are trying to appeal to. It doesn't upset me though... I'm just glad to have the real numbers. I never relied on the machines numbers anyway!

Meg 01-22-2007 07:38 AM

All interesting! I wore my HR monitor to the gym this morning to double-check the machines. I did 30 minutes of high intensity intervals on the elliptical (Precor), set to my age and weight. The machine said I burned 409 calories. My HR monitor said 215. That's a HUGE difference! :faint:

aggie2006 01-30-2007 05:21 AM

bs about the treadmill counting correct calories...i put all my data in and had a heart rate monitor so the tread krew my bpm at all times...at the end of my workout my heart rate monitor (watch) showed me half the calories the treadmill did...i say invest in a watch...mines from nike, i love it!

nelie 01-30-2007 10:42 AM

My elliptical has a heart rate monitor strap which you wear. Doing a similar routine (or even harder!) than using a gym elliptical, my elliptical reports about half the calories that those in the gym would normally report.

An example would be heart pounding elliptical workout with intervals for 25-30 at home usually nets me around 200-250 calories. If I did that same workout at the gym, the gym machines would normally say around 500 calories.

Gingercakes 02-13-2007 10:45 AM

Elliptical on Fitday?

This is an interesting topic, I've always wondered the same thing, regarding the accuracy of the readings on these machines. I have both a treadmill and elliptical at home, and I tend to use the "calories burned" indicator as a motivator, not as guaranteed accuracy.

I have been putting my activities in Fitday.com and cannot find the elliptical machine as an option. I looked under general exercises, and then tried to search, and still couldn't find it. Does anyone know where it is? It helps me to keep track of everything to ensure continued progress!

:goodscale:

Gingercakes

followthebeat 02-26-2007 01:51 AM

Where can I get one of these heart rate monitors, and how much does a decent one go for? (And what ones do you all own and find work well?)

happy2be 03-02-2007 01:01 AM

I am so glad to know I am not the only one thinking the equipment is not OK as far as the counting calories or monitoring heart rate.
I am looking for my personal heart rate monitor, I need suggestions please!!! What is better, the writst watch or a body band? any particular brand?
Prices??? Thanks so much!
happy2be

Meg 03-02-2007 04:55 AM

I'm no heart rate monitor expert but I can talk about the one I have. :) I decided to buy a Polar one because it syncs with the cardio machines in my gym. If I wear the chest strap, the machine will read out my HR, even if it doesn't have sensors. If the equipment in your gym says 'Polar heart rate ready', then Polar monitors will work with them.

The model I picked is an F6. I wanted one that's 'coded' - that means it won't pick up the HR of the person next to you if they're wearing a monitor. In a big spin class, that's an issue. The F series is designed for calorie counters - other models (the A's?) are more for ruuners and have all sorts of cool features that a runner would love.

Like I said, I'm not an expert at all so if you're interested in Polar, check out their web site and for info on other brands, you might be able to find some comparisons using Google. :)

srmb60 03-02-2007 08:18 AM

I have a plain jane, inexpensive Omnron. $35 or so. All I wanted it to do was measure my heart rate. I was amazed how much difference it made to my attitude regarding intensity.

DonnaD69 03-12-2007 02:02 AM

I understand that it's interesting to know how many calories are burned, but we need to not get too hung up on it. The fact that you are standing/sitting at a machine and actually doing some sort of exercise is good enough! It means you made it past the hardest part of exercise...getting there! Now don't worry about 50 or even 100 calories, push yourself a little further each time and give yourself a pat on the back...that'll burn calories too!
:ebike:
Yay to everyone for "getting there"!

Tomato 02-26-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetSerious (Post 1369212)
From what Ive read. The treadmill is the only cardio machine that accurately measures calories burned.

I don't know about that - maybe only the high-end treadmills that allow you to enter personal data? My treadmill displays the number of calories that I burned but I don't know if the calculation considers my weight and my height (I cannot enter any personal data), or if it uses the concept of an "average woman" (who I believe, is 5'4" tall and weighs 140 lbs [which a bunch of hoey IMHO]).

I don't go by the calories, but I am hoping that my height will actually make the reading accurate (I am 5'9"). I can keep dreaming, right? ;)

raw23 09-13-2008 08:36 PM

When I do 45 minutes on a elliptical it says I burned 250 calories. No matter if I'm sluggish and go 30 mph or if I haul it and keep it at 50-60 mph. When I go home and check a few online calculators it comes closer to 400-500. I've decided to split the difference and tell myself I burn 325.

Kelly46 09-14-2008 08:12 PM

Meg,
I'm new to the site. I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. Looking at your photo then seeing how much you lost has totally inspired me.
Thank you. YOu look great.

Kelly

looloo86 12-12-2008 08:24 AM

Thanx this thread was really helpful i always doubted the counters on these machines .

bakerygrl 01-27-2009 03:20 AM

I just use the calorie count as a guide, I try to burn a little bit more every time i go to the gym.

sws19 02-03-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1593796)
I'm no heart rate monitor expert but I can talk about the one I have. :) I decided to buy a Polar one because it syncs with the cardio machines in my gym. If I wear the chest strap, the machine will read out my HR, even if it doesn't have sensors. If the equipment in your gym says 'Polar heart rate ready', then Polar monitors will work with them.

The model I picked is an F6. I wanted one that's 'coded' - that means it won't pick up the HR of the person next to you if they're wearing a monitor. In a big spin class, that's an issue. The F series is designed for calorie counters - other models (the A's?) are more for ruuners and have all sorts of cool features that a runner would love.

Like I said, I'm not an expert at all so if you're interested in Polar, check out their web site and for info on other brands, you might be able to find some comparisons using Google. :)

i just bought this and used it for the first time yesterday. it told me i burned about 50 more calories than the treadmill told me. i couldn't believe it.:carrot:

EveLHaelf 06-30-2009 11:25 PM

Confused...

So I was at the polar website looking at ALL of the different monitors they have and I'm confused. They aren't very descriptive...I just want something simple that does the beep thing if my heart rate drops below targed and it counts calories burned. I'm totally new to heart rate monitors and I have no idea how they work. I've read that some monitors have chest straps? how does that work? I've been looking into things like body bugg and go wear fit, and I love the idea of wearing it on your upper arm instead of sticking something to your chest, I just don't like the monthly fee crap. Does polar offer anything like that? Does anyone? lol any help is really appreciated. :^:

CakeBatter 07-01-2009 07:54 AM

In my experience with this. The TM and Arc trainers tend to be pretty accurate. I wear a HR monitor and it counts my calories and they are pretty close in number. Sometimes my monitor is higher. I imagine because machines are based off of 150 lb person but I am 171 lb person. I use a Garmin Forerunner 205.

in need of solace 10-28-2009 04:11 PM

What!?! You mean I didn't burn 1000 calories in 37 minutes on the elliptical machine yesterday. :D BUT it said I DID!!!

LOL :dizzy:

Like many in this thread I only use the calorie readout like a "score" and I'm forever trying to beat my high score.

Corella191 11-13-2009 01:05 AM

I love the machines they have at the gym i go to. The gym is part of the local Hospital, Southern Ohio Medical Center, Its called the Life Center, the machines they use are absolutely amazing, every cardio machine has a heart rate monitor, calorie counter and personal fitness exercises. You enter your rate, it tests your begininng heart rate, you set the time you are going to be on it, and during the workout the calories appear on the machines, its actually very accurate. Ive added the figures multiple times and its almost 99% accurate.

Lightf00t 04-23-2010 01:30 PM

The readout tells me I've burned 1100-1200 calories in 1 hour on the elliptical. There's no way it can be that much.

FattyFatFat 04-27-2010 11:32 AM

Those things lie, and are not factual as far as I see it. I think it's more of a reference point, because every movement in your stride will defer from the next, the count can only be used as a basis. I'd say 1/2 of what it claims is more accurate than the full amount it says.

Sonata 09-03-2010 12:59 PM

I just don't worry about the calories. My goal is to get my heart rate into the target zone and hold it there for 30 minutes. The calories are an extra bonus.

MagdalenaRaela 07-05-2011 11:33 PM

This is definitely good to know. The elliptical I use asks for my age and weight and monitors my HR, so I think it's at least in the ballpark of how many calories I'm burning.

But this thread has peaked my interest and now I'm interested in getting a heart monitor to show me how many calories I am actually burning. Because, for me, the number of calories is important in keeping my calculations accurate.

lissvarna 09-30-2011 09:53 AM

I enter my weight 15lbs lower than it is, and then I subtract about 10% of those calories off- I figure that's a fairly accurate reading.

jttw18 12-19-2011 04:42 PM

When I began using the machines, I would always look at the calorie counter. A little over a month ago, I started putting my towel over the monitor so I can't see it anymore.

I base my exercise off how I feel and the intensity of the workout. That gives me a more accurate feeling and point of where my body is physically pushing itself.

BlackBarbieKiss125 07-08-2012 07:12 AM

I always assume less or enter a lower weight so it shows less. Like say for example the machine says I burned 500, I assume 250.

Or I enter a weight of 50 lbs less than I am now and assume.

The machines are highly inaccurate, when I was really into counting everything it just lead to a disappointment.

brvsfan99 07-11-2012 01:02 PM

I wear a heart rate monitor/calorie counter with a chest strap when I work out. The calories it says I burn are NEVER the same as what the machine says :devil:. Sometimes the machine is high and sometimes it is low. The monitor is more accurate because you input more personal information in to it.

Psyence 10-17-2012 04:40 AM

I've always wondered about those calorie counters :/ I generally don't trust them as they always seem to say I've lost far too many calories from just a halfhour workout!

MadProfessor 11-15-2012 08:20 AM

Calories counters, as well as "non-scientifical-grade" fat percentage meters are highly inacurate, and basing on their readings in order to keep track of energy balance is a waste of time. The most accurate, widely accessible tool for people doing gym is the pulsometer. Maintaining a certain HR during a certain time is a valuable information, useful for planning workouts and other forms of activity.

Jentry07 12-10-2012 06:10 PM

I've heard they're not exactly accurate either, especially if you don't even enter your weight, height, age, sex or anything of that matter! Everyone is so different it'd be hard for them to know exactly, I would use it as a gauge if you do enter your own information that is, but I wouldn't trust it enough to judge your consuming of calories strictly off that!

dietcokehead98 10-14-2014 11:57 AM

I use http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Most machines don't even ask for my weight and I don't like that. I'm sure I'm burning more calories at 218 than someone who is 125.