Joined a gym!

• Hi! My Name is Cindy

I just joined a gym for the first time. I felt kinda lost. If it weren't for my friend stephanie I wouldn't have known what to do. lol

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what I should do while I'm there. Everyone there seems to know exactly what they're doing and I'm just lost in a sea of exercise equipment.

I figured I would do something like Cardio for 30-45 minutes and then weight training....

Btw: I've been a member of this website thingy for awhile. I use to weigh 147 but in the past 3 months i've gained 10 pounds. :'( I need some support and I look to you nice ladies to keep me going.
  • Does the gym offer a free orientation to the weight room? Often the gym staff will work out a program for you for free, or the trainers will offer specials. While I did the free program thing at my gym for a while, I felt I needed more so I hired one of the trainers, which was the smartest move I could have made (although you have to find one that fits with your needs). The gym orientation also included the cardio machines so I was able to try them all and find one that worked well for me. Trying out different classes is fun, too.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  • Definately ask about orientation classes or trainers. I managed a gym for 12 years and the trainers want to meet you so they can sell you training packages. Most will meet with you the 1st time for free. Ask about specials like 3 for $ just enough to get started. If you don't feel comfortable asking in person call the gym and ask questions.
  • Cindy - congrats on your membership...Have you thought about checking out some of the fitness magazines? Shape and Self usually have a different workout each month...Cardio and Strength for at home and at the gym. I am too broke for personal training so I learned early on that by grabbing a copy of these mags I could have some sort of routine...Self is great they even have streaming videos on their website of the workouts for free (but who doesn't want the actual magazine to read - I LIVE for magazines lol) that way you can make sure you are doing it right.
  • i was going to say exactly what others have said..... get someone from the gym to help you out..... because you can do more damage than good if you dont know what you are doing, or how to do it properly......
    have fun.