3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #2 May 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/83427-cool-runners-2-may-2006-a.html)

YP1 05-23-2006 02:40 PM

I did a quick-ish 5k on the treadmill this morning. I had to wait ages for one to come free though which really :censored: me off. Tomorrow I'm doing about 5 and a half miles outside though (weather permitting) so no such worries!

Ilene 05-23-2006 07:34 PM

Very nice run outside today 7.73k...

AnneWonders 05-23-2006 10:18 PM

Hi Softballmom. One of the ways I stay motivated and consistent is to always have a race of some sort on my calendar. I'm pretty much middle to back of the pack, but it gets me out the door on the days I just don't feel like it. Bit, good luck with your race.

Ilene, good for you and DD! Are you feeling better about running these days? You always seem to be making such progress from this end.

Liz, awesome job on the race! Helen, where are you? I'm always feeling like you are running circles around me, and I need to get my butt in gear to catch up. Great new pic, BTW!

Well, my rest week is over and I'm getting back to it. But I have a new head cold coming on (DD is a human petri dish for these things she brings home from day care!). But I decided to give my workout a shot, and I made it two miles on the treadmill and then I was just DONE. Couldn't even do more walking after that. So more rest for me. Sigh.

Anne

Ilene 05-23-2006 10:24 PM

IowaSteph -- Running or doing anything with a headache, to me, is just impossiblel... At least you tried and made it to 20 mins...

:welcome: bit, you can do it, just try one baby step at a time...

Anne, I am doing fine these days, thanks for asking, my mind set seems to be out of it's slump :D... THANK goodness :lol:... Hope you're feeling better soon, how I remember those sick days with the kids, one got it, then the other, then NEXT :faint: such fun that I miss ... NOT!! :lol:

Stephanie Osborne 05-24-2006 11:32 AM

Week 4 Day 1 of the couch to 5k. I was sooooo winded. I had to keep repeating to myself You are a runner...you are a runner...didn't know you all belonged to such an elite group did ya? Something about finishing the training session though...after it being pretty much the hardest thing I have ever done just gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Do you all run and listen to music? I usually do, yesterday I didn't. Although I was able to focus more on my breathing I found myself keeping track of the time too much.

iowasteph - At least you made it 20...some is better than none right?

bit - I am new to running too. I am doing the couch to 5k program on coolrunning.com It takes about 8 weeks to complete if you don't repeat any of the weeks. It is pretty good...

softballmom - Running for me is such a mental thing. I think I can only run a certain amount...the couch to 5k trains your mind and your body to run a little more each week.

Helen - Love your avatar!

anne - rest up! Good idea about always having a race scheduled for motivation.

AnneWonders 05-24-2006 03:32 PM

I will not, do not, cannot listen to music when I'm running on roads. It is just too dangerous to lose a sense when there are cars about. But on a treadmill or a running path, it comes down to whatever works best. Personally, I like the quiet and concentration of running without music when I'm outside. But on a treadmill, anything to make it pass faster.

I HATE treadmills. Makes me realize how much I love to run that I'm considering getting one for the house--DD's schedule sometimes makes running outside in less than 100 degree heat impossible.

Anne

YP1 05-24-2006 03:51 PM

I always tend to listen to music, but I vary the volume depending where I am. The place it's actually worst (but the music doesn't make much difference) is on a canal towpath I run on - it's used by cyclists and runners mainly, and the cyclists can come up on you very quietly from behind and give you quite a shock sometimes!

I got 2 runs in today. My marathon schedule called for 5 miles today and 3 tomorrow, but I know that I'm not going to be able to fit a run in tomorrow or most likely Friday. So I did my 5 miler on the treadmill before work, waited 12 hours and then did my 3 miles this evening. It wouldn't have been a major loss if I'd skipped the second, but I've been a bit piggy with my eating today anyway so felt like I should really get out there! I actually enjoyed it anyway, and my legs had plenty of energy left in them to get me round.

iowasteph2 05-24-2006 08:31 PM

Helen, You're doing wondeful! I checked out your blog, and I'm so impressed!

Well, ladies, I have a question for you-- I just got in from a 30 minute jog. I went at 7:00pm in Iowa (so it's not like I'm in the desert or anything), but I got so incredibly hot. I was absolutely drenched with sweat. Okay, sorry, that's probably too much information!! But anyway, this is my first summer running, and I'm really worrying whether I'll be able to tolerate the heat. It's only May, and I felt like I was melting! I'm going to try to wake up early tomorrow morning and run before work. I'm going to try to sleep in my exercise clothes to help me get my butt out of bed.

Besides avoiding the hottest parts of the day, do you have any other advice for exercise in the heat?

Have a good night!! Keep it up, everybody!!

Only Me 05-24-2006 09:30 PM

stephie, great job on starting week 4. If you're getting really winded while running, slow down a bit. Your running intervals are only going to keep getting longer as the program progresses. I don't listen to music while I run. I like to be able to hear cars/bikes around me, and I like quiet time to think. With 3 kids (7, 4, 2), it's sometimes the only quiet time I get in a day (although if I'm stuck pushing the younger 2 in a stroller, I don't even get quiet then). If I ran on a treadmill, I might change my mind.

Anne, I hope you're feeling better soon. We have a cold going around our house too. Yesterday my 4 year old spent the morning laying on the couch, occaisionally turning from the tv to ask me to make her nose stop running. Last week it was dh and ds. I'm sure the 2 yo and I are next in line.

Steph, I don't like the heat either. Things that helped me last summer: running in the morning, taking shadier routes, running on breezy days. Take heart though, you will start to acclimatize to it somewhat. Currently I find temps in the low 60s too warm for running, but by mid-July I'll be happy and find it refreshing if mornings are that cool. Take water with you even on shorter runs in the heat; if you fill a water bottle part way up and freeze it, you can top it up before you head out and have cold water for your run, along with a nice cold bottle to hold.

This morning I ran 11k with 8 strides (20 seconds hard, 40 seconds easy) thrown in. Tomorrow should be an easy 8k.

Ilene 05-24-2006 10:19 PM

Steph, I feel your pain I have a very difficult time with heat too :faint: Last summer I ran on the dreadmill on very hot days, or early in the morning by the river... On extremely hot days I would get up really early run at 6 or 7am come home and go back to bed :lol:, this was on weekends though ... because sometimes even running at 8am is too late... Also dress in the new dry weave clothing it wicks away the sweat nicely ...

Today we had a good 30 min hill run, our last run before the 10k race on Saturday in Ottawa...

Stephanie Osborne 05-25-2006 03:18 PM

I tend to either run on a treadmill or an enclosed track (like a high school track, or the gym) Usually safety is not an issue. I could see how it would be important to be able to hear the things around you if you were running in suburbia or the city though. I bought some running shorts to reward myself for sticking to it after Tuesday.

As for my being winded, I feel like I am running slow...but I really do not know. Maybe I will try taking it even slower today and see how it feels. Your right those weeks will keep on a comin and adding more and more minutes/running with each one.

echocreek 05-26-2006 05:57 PM

I got naseus while running today

I might have been going too fast? When I went out this morning there were black clouds on the horizon so I tried to go a little faster than I normally do. Then when it started to drizzle I went a little faster so I wouldnt get poured on. Then I began to get sick to my stomach. Once I had a shower and got ready for work, I felt ok. Is that something that is normal if you go too fast too quickly?

YP1 05-27-2006 05:44 AM

I did 5 miles at marathon pace this morning, but got a horrible case of runner's trots midway through. I'd never had this before, but today and last Saturday has been the same thing both times, after about 4k. Last week I thought it was because I ran too soon after eating, but today I ran as soon as I got up, before breakfast.

YP1 05-28-2006 03:56 AM

Just under 7 miles this morning .

Only Me 05-28-2006 08:40 AM

I ran just over 26k yesterday morning, my longest distance yet. Then this morning I got up early and ran a slow, easy 6k. My legs started out pretty stiff and sore, but were feeling much better by the time I finished. Next week will be a cutback week for my long run. I'm hoping to run a 5k or 10k race next Saturday though.