3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners #2 May 2006 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/83427-cool-runners-2-may-2006-a.html)

Sushi Penguin 05-06-2006 03:58 AM

Thanks for welcome and the link, Ilene. That website looks cool, but I don't think I'll be able to use it as I'm not in the States and it doesn't seem to work for any other country (unless I'm doing something wrong...).

Today was my running day again, 26 minutes. My new stopwatch is great, but it bounces (of course), so I can't wear it on my neck (drives me bonkers...). I did 3 lenghts of the dirt road quite easily but in a different format than usual, so that I only had to do the incline once. I was quite happy for my times for the lenghts - 7:34, 16:34, 25:25.

Now I must go offer prayers to the weather gods for a rain-free Monday morning. :) ;)

iowasteph2 05-06-2006 10:13 AM

I was just checking in before I head out for a short run. Sushi, I just wanted you to know that you can switch the country on the link that Ilene gave you. There are all kind of countries on there. You change the country at the top of the screen (towards the middle). stephanie

bellybella 05-06-2006 06:23 PM

Hi!! I'd like to join you all if you wouldn't mind. I used to be an avid jogger but then after having 2 little ones (well, they are 4 and 6 now) I haven't had the time. I have a treadmill at home but got bored with it so now that the weather is getting better I trot along while my kids ride their bike. I say trot because it's a little slower than a jog.

Also, I notice I get tired fast jogging outside than on the treadmill so I'm pretty much reintroducing myself to running outdoors again.

Ilene 05-06-2006 10:31 PM

Hey Bellybella :welcome: you can trot along with us any time, some days I trot along too :yes: ... And it IS much more tiring to run/jog/trot :lol: outside than it is inside, BUT I much prefer it now to the dreadmill :tread:

Tomorrow I too am doing a 6.2miler or 10K (not a race) ;)

Anne -- You're just so nice, thanks for the encouraging words :hug:...

Only Me 05-07-2006 12:51 PM

Ilene, I agree with Anne, you're being too hard on yourself! You've come so far with it--from treadmill to outdoors to running with a group. It's not going to be fun every single time. And you're going to have off days when it seems harder than it should. You've come so far, from treadmill, to outdoors by yourself, to running with a group--don't be so hard on yourself!

I've had an off week or so as I tapered for a half marathon today. I hate tapering. I get restless, grouchy and headachey. Anyway, I had 3 goals for today--(easy) under 2:00:00 gun time for the first time ever, (tough but doable) under 1:55:00 and (dream) under 1:52:00. The race day was great--sunny but cool and not too much wind considering the time of year. I'd picked my race kit up the day before, so we didn't have to rush out there at the crack of dawn. We got there about 25 minutes before race time, just in time to sneak inside to the indoor washrooms thereby bypassing the porta-potty line, do a short warm-up and get to the start, where I handed off my jacket and sweatshirt to dh and kids. I avoided starting too fast and everything went well until I got a side stitch just before km 15. Which resulted in me having to slow down for the next 3km and losing at least 1 minute time wise. But I managed to pick it back up after 18km and finish in 1:53:49. A personal best by over 5 minutes, so I'll take it, even if I was frustrated by losing time midway through.

While I was running, my 7 year old finished his first ever 3km race in 25 minutes. He's very proud of his finisher's medal. He was also happy that he wasn't last (about 7 kids behind him).

AnneWonders 05-07-2006 02:36 PM

Way to go Only Me! That is too cool!

Had a lousy run this morning. My knee hurt after my bike yesterday, and didn't feel so great. And I hit a dead end as I was exploring a new route. So I just kind of bailed after about 2.5 mi. Ah well.

Anne

bellybella 05-07-2006 09:28 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome Ilene!!!

Only me, when did your son start running? My daughter just turned 6 today and I would like to start some jogging w/ her.

Sushi Penguin 05-08-2006 07:07 AM

Nice run this morning, too bad I got a stitch... But I did well pace-wise, time-wise and endurance-wise, and distance wasn't bad either. After the stitch was gone, I did a personal mini race to see how fast I could run one lenght of my dirt road, and I'm quite happy with the time.
I tried some interval running, but I'm not quite sure how that is supposed to work, so some advice would be lovely pretty please. :)

Lucky13 05-08-2006 08:46 AM

welcome to all of our newbies!

I had a decent run yesterday - about 5 miles in 48 min (considering I walked the first 5 minutes of that I was pretty pleased). DH and I bought a new DVD/VCR Combo for our exercise room so we have a pretty sweet set up - it's really nice! we can watch whatever movie, etc...we want while we run now! Of course, DH just bought some new UFC/fighting/kick butt DVD's so he is super excited about that - lol

On Saturday I actually (Gasp!!) ran outside!! In Texas!! In May!! The weather was absolutely perfect and the pace I was running I felt like I could have done that all day. (probably a 11-min mile pace - b/c DH was with me) - but it definitely felt great :)

OnlyMe - great job on your Half-Marathon - sounds like you had a great run!!

Ilene 05-08-2006 09:06 AM

Only Me -- :bravo: on the race!!

Had a good run yesterday, 11.21k in 1:15...

AnneWonders 05-08-2006 09:57 AM

Congrats Ilene and Lucky13 on your great runs!

Welcome bellybella and Sushi Penguin!

I'm off today, tomorrow I bike, and then run again on Wednesday. Hoping for a good one this time.

Saturday is my Splash n Dash up in Phoenix. I'm excited about it, it's my first time swimming in a wetsuit in almost 2 years! The run part is a 4K, and my goal is to run the whole thing with no walk breaks. I figure the more people I tell, the more likely I am to do it. Since I ran 2 miles without walking last week, I figure it is a doable goal.

Anne

eadavenp 05-08-2006 03:32 PM

I am back on track. Its monday afternoon, i got in a run without too much farting around and making excuses and i really focused on minutes run. I did ten minutes running, 2 walking, 5 running, 2 walking, 2 running, 1 walking, and a 20 second sprint to finish it off. Add on about 7 min total for warm up and cool down, and i did about 2 miles (maybe slightly under). All i know is that i am proud that i got out there and did something rather than lamenting about how gross i feel.

Only Me 05-09-2006 04:23 PM

Anne, GOOD LUCK on Saturday! How are you managing juggling baby, work, husband, house, running, swimming and biking? I'm tired just reading the list.

bellybella, Ds doesn't really run much other than gym class or the indoor soccer he did one day a week last winter. He does have gym class 4/6 school days though. He "ran" a couple of kids 1k fun runs last summer, and when I signed up for the half, he asked if he could run a race too. I told him there was only a 3k for kids 7 and up, but he still wanted to do it anyway. He went for a run/walk with me a couple of times before or after I went out myself. And a couple of times he ran up and down our street a bunch of times. He does walk and ride his bike a lot. I was worried about him getting discouraged with the long distance, but he was ok. Dh pushed the girls (2 and 4) in a double stroller along with him to pace him and encourage him. He started out way at the back, but caught up and passed 6 kids, all older than he is, who did a great 500m sprint at the start, and then just sort of strolled along the rest of the way.

I spent part of the morning and most of the afternoon today moving a big pile of dirt around my backyard so that I can plant a garden and grass seed soon and actually have a lawn rather than a dust bowl in my backyard. When dh got home from work, I went for an easy 7k run after taking yesterday off. My legs felt a bit tired, but I'm not sure if that's related to the race or all the yard word.

Ilene 05-09-2006 06:50 PM

Tonight I went out with the gals we did a 10k... It was 25C out and I find that way too hot :hot: along with being at the end of the day, it just burns me right out, I think that's part of my problem just plain ole tired at the end of a long day... I do great in the morning when it's cook like on Sunday....

iowasteph2 05-09-2006 10:02 PM

Only-Me, congratulations!! Way to go on the race!

I ran for 30 minutes tonight. I was the longest run that I've ever done. I'm just finishing the Couch to 5k, and I'm so glad I took on this challenge. I have always been athletic, but I could never run. I was even an varsity athlete in college, but you wouldn't see this chicka running!!! I feel like I've gained so much energy and quite honestly, inspiration that transfers into other areas of my life. Is that even possible after only "running" for a couple of months?!

I took my neighbors dog jogging yesterday. We only went 18 minutes, but she definitely made me pick up the pace. We had a blast. My neighbor was so glad that I took her dog, because the dog doesn't get any exercise except when I take her.