3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Favorite fitness magazines anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/81703-favorite-fitness-magazines-anyone.html)

shananigans 04-14-2006 03:13 PM

Favorite fitness magazines anyone?

I’m thinking about getting a subscription to something like Fitness magazine to read while I’m on the elliptical and get some new strength training ideas in my head regularly. Does anyone have a favorite fitness–related publication other than Fitness, that’s the only one I’ve ever seen around the magazine rack at the gym and I’m wondering what others I might be interested in.

x0xmelissax0x 04-14-2006 04:06 PM

My favorite is "Self" magazine, and my second favorite is "Shape"

missouripe 04-14-2006 05:02 PM

I agree - I've had a subscription to "SELF" for years. I like that they promote "health" over "thin". They have great articles on all aspects of wellness. They also have cool tear-out cards with great exercises. I saw a letter to the editor with a great idea to put them laminated on a ring to take with you to the gym or keep handy at home. I also like that most of their exercises you need no or extremely limited "equipment". And at $12/year, you can't go wrong. They also have great info on their site.

RachelleS 04-14-2006 11:50 PM

I like Shape & Fitness. My favorite magazine is Looking Good. I don't mind Women's Health & Fitness. Self is okay but I don't think I'm renewing. I read alot of magazines in the summer time so I found cheap subscriptions on the internet & am getting a bunch. TOO many.

Rachelle

JigglyBits 04-15-2006 12:32 AM

I like prevention :)

CLCSC145 04-15-2006 12:51 AM

I like Health magazine. Most magazines have a corresponding website you can check out to see a sample of the kinds of articles they have. Checking out their sites has saved me the cost of subscription in a few cases where the magazine wasn't really what I was expecting.

boarderchick 04-16-2006 11:41 AM

Interestingly, I read an artictle (I think in Shape) that said that if people who read while exercising actually don't work as hard at the exercise. That resulted in less weight loss than a group who did not read but focused on exercise. I think music was allowed in both groups though. This was written years ago (when I used to read on cardio machines) so I don't have the reference.

Ilene 04-16-2006 11:47 AM

I like Oxygen the best for reading, but I never read when I workout I read when I am on the "throne", in the tub or early in the morning when having my coffee... I agree, if you are reading and working out you are not working at your full potential , put the magazine away and get some good fast heart pumping music and concentrate on your workout :yes:...

srmb60 04-16-2006 11:51 AM

Oxygen, yes! Once in a while I grab 'Looking Good ... Now' as well. It always has a couple of stories about real folks who lose real weight in real life :)

lisa-n 04-16-2006 12:50 PM

I have a subscription to fitness magazine, its good, it has a lot of great tips in it. And I also have one issue of fitnessrx for woman, it's the april issue that is out now, it has a big article with Jillian Michaels in it, she gives a workout in the spread, but it is a very advanced workout. The article also says her new book should be out in jan.2007, and in a future issue they will have more about her new book. It is a pretty good magazine, lots of great tips, but there are way too many ads in the magazine.

Lisa

Libby1972 04-16-2006 06:28 PM

Hands down, Prevention is the best for me.

happydaisy 04-16-2006 11:51 PM

For straight up exercise/nutrition improvement I like oxygen. I like fitness/self for health reading too.

fikustrees 04-17-2006 01:08 PM

I really like Women's Health and Men's Health. In the latter you have the bonus of looking at a bunch of buff men instead of skinny women. They both have great info on fitness and diet, the rest seem to be filled with make-up, clothes and the other women's magazine fluff.

Rosario 04-17-2006 01:13 PM

Definitely SELF magazine!

Claire de Ravin 04-17-2006 07:04 PM

Self for me! It's very helpful and gives realistic advice and workouts.