3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   what's the best way to increase exercise without getting hurt? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/81358-whats-best-way-increase-exercise-without-getting-hurt.html)

sarahyu 04-10-2006 04:55 PM

what's the best way to increase exercise without getting hurt?

I get motivated to exercise and get fit, then somehow I over do it and wind up injured, then I lose my motivation to be fit and start feeling sorry for myself-"woe is me, life is so not fair" then my bottom becomes fastened to the couch in front of the tv for awhile until I get motivated to get fit again....it turns into an awful circle that this time I want to break.

I joined a beginning women's running class, our first class was Sat. We run together 2 days a week and then by our selves 1-2 days a weeks.

I know what I should be doing, I saw a dietician a few months ago and she wants to me to be doing 60 minutes of some sort of activity most days of the week. "Let your inner athlete shine" she said, ":?: huh, what inner athlete? I have an inner athlete?" I tried that, and wound up with a bad cold shortly after and now 3 months later I'm trying to find that inner athlete...hopefully this time I can do it without hurting myself.

How do you increase exercise levels without injury?

Sarah

busker 04-10-2006 07:58 PM

I've never gotten truly injured except when I took a class. I've ready in countless books about how classes are evil, because they're usually high-impact (which running is, definitely) and you're trying to keep up with someone else's pace instead of listening to your body.

If you're getting sick (like a cold), it may be a sign that your nutrition is lacking in something, too. I've found when I first start dietting, I overdo it. Not enough calories, not enough fat(!), not enough vitamins...

When you're not providing enough building materials for your body, and then you add exercise on top of it, your body starts cannibalizing itself. You'll lose muscle, you'll bruise easily, and your immune system isn't as strong (so you get colds easily).

If injury/sickness is frequent, you should probably go see a doctor or nutritionist and see if they can offer a "plan" you can work on that's tailored to you.

Luckily there are many ways to exercise, and it doesn't have to be a "one size fits all" approach. :bike:

--Janis

sarahyu 04-11-2006 08:30 AM

I think it's over doing things. I feel good so I exercise every day I feel good. I push myself to do a little more each time and then I get into over-use type injuries, or the drained, exhausted feelings.

It's definately not a nutrion problem because I eat a balanced diet with plenty of calories and take a good multi-vitamin.

Sarah

srmb60 04-11-2006 09:24 AM

Injured? Hmmm ... sometimes if I lift heavy or try something new, I hurt the next day (or three) but injured? Nope, sorry. If my bottom half aches, I exercise the top half. If the top half hurts, I exercise the bottom half.
It's really important to me to keep going. In the past, if I skip one day ... it turns into months!

fikustrees 04-11-2006 11:56 AM

running is really hard on your body. If you want to avoid injurt try swimming for sure, it is one of the best excersises ever for your body and it is no impact. If you don't like regular swimming you can buy an aqua jogger or a couple of noodles to keep yourself up and then run in the water. The added resistance leads to a great workout.

Also, make sure that you include some restorative work in your rotation. At least one rest day and maybe a day of stetching or yoga too. There are some great video tapes to help you learn how to do this better if you are unsure.

WaterRat 04-11-2006 01:49 PM

Running is hard on your joints, but it does burn a lot of calories in a short(er) time than many other cardio options. Question is, why are you doing it? Is it just for weight loss or do you love it? If the former, there are other things you can do, but if it's something you love, it sounds like you need to change the way you approach it. I don't know what your level of experience is, but jumping right into a full blown running program is hard, and the older we get the harder on our bodies it is. There are a number of running programs available on the web, and they all suggest starting with a run/walk routine, and not increasing your time or distance more than about 10% per week. I've belonged to a running club in the past, and when I had someone to run with, I did better.

Margarita 04-11-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahyu
I saw a dietician a few months ago and she wants to me to be doing 60 minutes of some sort of activity most days of the week. "Let your inner athlete shine" she said

Whoa, sixty minutes is quite a feat if you've been inactive up till now. I'd start with fifteen to thirty minutes per run (or whatever you have the stamina for) and then add five minutes every other week till you've hit your goal.

If you're being injured from running, you be using the wrong shoes. Or you may need to strengthen your legs, especially the front thigh muscles, before you get seriously involved in running. Your doctor could probably help you out with those decisions.

Keep in mind that no single activity is right for everyone. If running is too hard on your joints, perhaps walking, biking, dancing, or swimming would be a better activity for you.

There are lots of ways to get fit, so please don't get discouraged if the first one doesn't work out. Just remember to take it easy in the beginning, whatever activity you decide on. It's better to start out too easy than too hard. Eventually, as you get used to the movement, you'll be able to push yourself harder, but in the beginning, slow and steady is the way to go.

sarahyu 04-12-2006 08:30 AM

I definately need to strengthen my leg muscles, but the pt I spoke with gave me exercises that required access to a gym. (My running club had a stride clinic last year where we were able to talk to a podiatrist and a PT for 15 minutes. They watched me run on a treadmill and gave me advice on how to run better/safer.)

Running is something that gets my blood pumping and I feel so increbibly good afterward. It's like a natural stimulant or something, it helps me to balance out my moods. I've tried doing other types of exercises-bike, swimming, elipitical and I can't seem to get the same results. It also helps me to balance out my ADHD symptoms.

The 60 minutes a day of activity is all physical activity-a commulative amount not "do 60 minutes of something strenous every single day at one time" She wanted me to walk more, and incorporate a wide variety of activities that gets the blood pumping.

Any suggestions on what exercises to do to build up leg strength?
Sarah

srmb60 04-12-2006 08:44 AM

I love leg exercises most of all! I learned a lot for this site
www.stumptuous.com

Or you can try putting these in a search like google
walking lunges, squats, calf raises .....

srmb60 04-12-2006 08:47 AM

I also wanted to add that what Sarahyu said about activity ....The 60 minutes a day of activity is all physical activity ..... can be all kinds of things. It doesn't necessarily need to be 60 minutes on a treadmill at the gym. It can be hiking, playing tag with your kids, dancing to American Idol ...

BigBootyB 04-12-2006 10:59 AM

SusanB, that's a great website. So much information... and the subtle humor is awesome!

busker 04-12-2006 12:14 PM

You can join us in the 500 mile bike challenge. (The 500 miles is a goal... mostly we just chit-chat about bikes and riding, though). That's good for your legs, doesn't have any impact, and you can enjoy nature along the way.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79806

--Janis

Margarita 04-12-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahyu
Any suggestions on what exercises to do to build up leg strength?

For building up strength in the front of the thigh, without risk of damaging the knee joint, try the Quad Sets and Straight Leg Raises described on this page: http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/acl_postop/ . Once your quads are stronger, you can move on to pliés, lunges, and running.

If you do pliés and lunges, protect your knees by never allowing your knee to bend out over your toes or beyond; your knee, when fully bent, should be directly above your heel.

fikustrees 04-13-2006 05:21 PM

maybe you could try rollarblading. I just read the other day that it is a better calorie burner than even running and it is similar. It seems like you might get the same kind of endorphin rush and it is really easy on the joints (as long as you don't fall without protective gear!)

BigBootyB 04-14-2006 02:00 PM

what about joint pain? not like arthritis pain but ... my right elbow feels like a creaking door. its wierd coz i'm right handed but when working on my triceps especially, i strugle so much!! what do y'all suggest?