Fat burn vs Cardio?

• Hi guys!

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I checked back a few pages and didn't find anything related to it. However I'm about to head to the gym so I'm in a hurry!

Since I've been working out on the eliptical, I've always just selected "manual" and set the resistance where I want it for the day. Very unorganized... normally I do 20 minutes at a higher resistance/try to go as fast as I can. This gets my heart rate up (I'm 24, according to the machine, my heart rate would average around 167 - 172) and I get off the machine feeling like I've been run over by a truck. Yesterday on a whim, I choose "fat burn" and was able to do 45 minutes and it seemed, well not easier, but not so "punishing" and I enjoyed it more even with the increased time.

In your experience, is it better to try to be more intense for a shorter amount of time, or at a more manageable speed for a longer timespan? My goal on the eliptical is ultimately burning fat. I do weight lifting after the cardio to help build some muscle and jump start getting toned before all the extra weight is gone.

Thanks in advance!!
  • I'm no expert .. but I think working at a 'reasonable' intensity for a longer amount of time will burn more than 'killing yourself' for 20 minutes.

You could try working at a reasonable intensity for 20 minutes then cranking up the juice for 10 minutes and then bringing it back down to reasonable for an additional 20 minutes
  • What I would suggest is trying to do intervals as intervals tend to give you a good intensity and it doesn't leave you too tired. It also makes it so your body doesn't get used to what you are doing and I believe makes you burn more fat.

There is an interval program on most ellipticals but what you can do is for a period of time (30 secs? 1 minute?) increase your intensity by going faster/adding more resistance, then go back to a "normal" pace. I've been able to do the elliptical for 30 minutes at least using this method. You can spread out your intervals to whatever you are comfortable with, I always liked every 4-5 minutes.
  • I just wanted to say thanks to all of you! I tried out the "Hill Plus" setting today... it was great! I don't know if it's the new setting or the fact I tried reverse for awhile, now my butt is sore. That's new! Now I just need to attempt tackling the Stair Master
  • Quote:
    I do weight lifting after the cardio to help build some muscle and jump start getting toned before all the extra weight is gone.
    Do your weight lifting first. You'll have more energy for the weights, and by the time you get to your cardio, you'll have already burned off most of the energy stored in your bloodstream, muscles and liver so you'll instantly be in that fat burning mode.

I agree with Nelie- try doing intervals, or mix up your cardio. Intervals on some days, long "fat burning mode" on other days.

Mel
  • Quote: Do your weight lifting first. You'll have more energy for the weights, and by the time you get to your cardio, you'll have already burned off most of the energy stored in your bloodstream, muscles and liver so you'll instantly be in that fat burning mode.

I agree with Nelie- try doing intervals, or mix up your cardio. Intervals on some days, long "fat burning mode" on other days.

Mel
    That has never occured to me, but makes complete sense. Thanks!

Today was an "off day", but I went to the beach. After the hike from the car, carrying 2 lawn chairs and an ice chest that felt like it was 20 pounds, and a few hours of swimming/walking in sand, I feel pretty worn out. In a good way, of course