3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Top Ten Exercise Myths (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/78440-top-ten-exercise-myths.html)

Dmom 04-09-2010 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info.. but now im wondering y does the scale go up and down in the same day even if i havent eaten anything.. like before and after a shower... hmmm

minervathena 04-26-2010 03:56 AM

"And muscle doesn’t ‘weigh more than fat’ – a pound of muscle is smaller and denser than a pound of fat and takes up about 1/3 the space, but the two weigh the same amount."

LOL. 1 pound of butter weighs the same as 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1 lb of plastic.

People get mistaken when they think comparatively, but the point is, muscle DOES weigh more than fat- but obviously if it is measured differently, in this case, for volume.

100 cubic centimetres of muscle WILL weigh more than 100 cubic centimetres of fat. That's because its density is higher, thefore obviously more heavier.

So it's not wrong to say 'muscle weighs more than fat'. It's just a mathematical confusion on the part of the person, that's all.

FattyFatFat 04-27-2010 11:29 AM

Love the myths you've posted. Some I've never heard, but it's good that you've highlighted them as myths for those whom don't know any better.

tonymybrick 09-02-2010 01:41 PM

Great One !!!

Mag, Your article is really superb. I read whole the post and this is really a informative post..
Great !!!

Centene 09-25-2010 10:08 AM

Thanks!

katy trail 10-05-2010 11:00 AM

is it true, we need to eat protein within 30min. of a workout? does it make a difference if we don't? does eating protein speed recovery from doms. i wouldn't think so, but other people claim it helps.

Ilene 10-05-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy trail (Post 3509167)
is it true, we need to eat protein within 30min. of a workout? does it make a difference if we don't? does eating protein speed recovery from doms. i wouldn't think so, but other people claim it helps.

Hereis a good article that explains it well...

heshleman 10-11-2010 01:14 PM

Thanks for the great info Meg! I know we retain water naturally as women, but the amount we drink affects this too, yes?

fplix22 11-20-2010 07:37 PM

Interesting

MissKayytaay90 12-11-2010 06:17 AM

sooo helpful! thanks!

Nicki6 12-11-2010 08:07 AM

Thank you for that..I've learned something new. And it was also motivating!
:dancer:

Anne333 01-27-2011 06:34 AM

How about the calories in, calories out myth now? I know isn't exercise, but you sure said that a lot. ^.^

lackadaisy 02-13-2011 01:04 AM

Myth 6 actually does have quite a bit of interesting research to support it -- namely that working out before breakfast was more effective for preventing weight gain in a group of college-aged men who were force-fed a hypercaloric high-fat diet. They gained less than the group who worked out after eating and group that did not exercise.

On PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837645 (A lot of blogs are also interpreting it in various ways if you search on Google.)

Most of us aren't college-aged men fighting off force-feeding of fat (ha) so this isn't necessarily relevant for women. But morning exercise isn't without its merits as an idea. Morning workouts are also good for curbing appetite through the day, and raising energy levels. And they are easier to turn into rituals. But of course working out any time is better than not at all.

SMSDREAMER2007 02-19-2011 10:10 PM

Many thanks for the GREAT info. I have gad a a lot of these myths shoved down my throat. When I came back from Cali, the only time I had to walk/run was at midnight and my sister criticized me for that saying "they say you need to walk in the morning and that its better for you than any other time" Like because I couldn't walk in the morning I just shouldn't be trying at all. It is nice to have support of all of you and know that it is ok, as long as I keep at it and keep trying.

chickadee32 03-07-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1165748)
7. If you’re not sore after a workout, then you didn't work out hard enough.
No, exercise doesn’t have to hurt in order to be effective or good for you.

Silly me, I haven't read this thread until now (5 weeks into my exercise program), and this was really helpful for me to see. I've been thinking that maybe I wasn't using enough weight during my strength training workouts, as I seldom feel sore at all the next day. It's good to know that I shouldn't use that as a guide to whether my strength training is appropriate and effective.

Thanks!!