Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about jogging??

Okay, so i've started incorporating some jogging into my walk. I know to start small and not expect to jump into a mile in a week. but yesterday, i jogged 8/10of a mile. and today, i can really feel my outer thigh muscles. I'm just wondering, if i should just walk today, and take Sunday off (since it will probably rain anyways, and my body feels kind of tired today.) What do you think?? Should you put a day of just walking in between the days of jogging?? I don't want to push myself to far too fast. But I don't want to give it too much rest if i'm not suppose to. Any thoughts???
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #2  

If you do a search on the internet for "couch to 5k" you will find a really good training plan. It is suggested that you run one day and rest the next, and aim for three running days per week. That's what I am doing, and I running by doing interval training.

Your body needs rest to avoid injury.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #3  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

Give your body the rest it needs, but make sure you keep up the good work!
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

HI.....I'm in the same boat, just started running a little while ago. I would give yourself a well deserved rest. If you do anything....a nice stretch and a nice hot bath sounds good. If you use some epsom salts in your bath, it helps to eleviate the built up lactic acid in your muscles. Just a thought....good luck!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

thanks for the advice. I went home yesterday and i did nothing but lay in bed for most of the day. I did have to go to walmart and i was so worn out when i was there. when i got home, i took two tylenol and layed back down all evening. I feel so much better today though, so i am about to go out for my 2 mile walk and hopefully jog about 8/10 of one of those miles.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/230/160

Since losing 60 pounds I have actually had the desire to run. I have done short sprints on the treadmill and survived. I now think I am ready for more. Being that I am 230 lbs it will be a bit of a challenge. I worry about stress on my knees and ankles. Any pointers, suggestions on how to get started and not end up as roadkill.....
desertcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/146/145

Height: 5'6"

Thank you Kykaree for the search tips on "couch to 5K". I just did day one. I have been wanting to get back into jogging for a while and I think that the program will work for me.
shellerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #8  

This is another one I found

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa...programme.html

BUPA is UK's largest health insurer and sponsors many of our big runs here in the UK (and employs me!!!) The running tips are really good.

I'm glad your finding it helpful. I was really intimidated by the whole running thing, and now I feel like it's achievable. As someone said to me on here a few months ago, if you can lose 60lbs you can do anything!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote