3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   I am Curving tooo... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/74532-i-am-curving-tooo.html)

tori34 01-29-2006 10:15 AM

I am Curving tooo...

Hi all,

I joined curves on 1/22/06 and so far I haven't lost pounds but I feel much better. I will find out if I have lost any inches on 2/11. I have decided after reading many post to switch from low fat to limited carbs and low fat and I think by using the food diary I can really manage my intake (thanks for the posts on that tool). I find it way too easy to say oh that won't hurt me. Since starting curves I haven't went to any fast food chains for a quick lunch. I am also a cola fanatic which has to STOP!

Anyway, I have been going to curves faithfully 3 times a week. Starting this week I am going to start back using Denise Austin yoga tapes and walking in between curves sessions.

Keep up the good work everyone and good luck on your journeys!

fawnice 01-29-2006 10:21 AM

What's it like

Hi there. I was wondering...what's it like when you go to Curves for the very first time? I'm so over weight and don't want to embarasse myself too much. I wondering if I should try to lose some weight before I actually go? What do you think? Thank you.

curlylocks 01-29-2006 10:27 AM

i go to the ladies workout express, which is just like curves to answer your question , umm u dont do anything that will make u winded... but u will sweat by the time u get done! I think it would be a great place to start for you! i started at @ 270 ish and i had no problems at all .. plus u will feel so much better! i dont know about the one in your area but at mine the ladies are of all sizes.. and shapes... and are focusing on their workout.. not who comes in..

u should go on in and check it out!!!

tori34 01-29-2006 12:35 PM

the curves that I go to has women of all shapes, sizes, and ages. Everyone there is great and the staff is helpful. I beleive it would be a great place to start because of the "all women" concept. I live in a college town and we have a Gold's Gym but I would NEVER go there because I would feel so self concious.

Try curves..I am not a "gym" person but I love going to curves. I actually feel good about myself and I look forward to going. I think if you go you will find some great encouragement from the other women there!

Good luck and give it a try!

sandrea91483 01-29-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawnice
Hi there. I was wondering...what's it like when you go to Curves for the very first time? I'm so over weight and don't want to embarasse myself too much. I wondering if I should try to lose some weight before I actually go? What do you think? Thank you.

I started Curves last Friday. You have to schedule the first workout so they can show you how to use the machines properly. One of the staff members demonstrates each machine and then you follow behind her. When you've done the required number of rotations (at mine it's 2 and a half times) they'll show you how to do the stretches. You do everything to the best of your ability, no more than you can handle. Some of the women at my Curves even skip over some of the machines due to health problems, and make up for it doing extra of the ones they can do.

The one I go to is a very comfortable atmosphere. Some of the other women are really overweight and out of shape while others aren't as big. However, I NEVER felt bad there about being obese. Even some of the staff members are larger women. If you call them, they'll let you go for a consultation and try one or two of the machines. Then you can decide if it's something you want to do or not.

Valerie Joy 01-29-2006 06:21 PM

I'm a curves member also! I love the support I get there. I have friends that I work out with 3 days a week. It's so motivating to go there!

Good luck!

Jasmin71 01-30-2006 08:37 AM

Its awsome, women are all sizes and so far all that I have met are friendly and awsome!

liljoesmom03 01-30-2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawnice

Hi Fawnice!

I weighed 316 pounds when I joined Curves. I've been a member for 2 1/2 weeks and I've lost 6 pounds! I'm the "biggest" member that I've seen there. But EVERYONE is very Friendly! No one is rude or anything like that.
I go everyday they are open, (my choice) and I've gone of a morning and I've gone of an evening, met different people and they are all nice.
We are all there with the same goals. To lose weight, keep it off, and/or tone up our bodies.

I was like you, I was very nervous my first time. "Am I going to be the heaviest one there?" "Will they be rude because I am?" "Should I lose weight before I join?" "I don't know anybody there!" "I don't have anybody to go with me." "What IF...."
But I didn't like what I saw in the mirror anymore and I WANTED to change. I "swallowed" my self doubt and made the call. I wasn't going to let what anyone "might" think of me get in the way of my goals. It's not "them" I'm trying to change, it's Me.
You have made a first step in Wanting to change... YOU CAN DO IT!!:carrot:
And I think Curves would be a GREAT place to Start!! :)

I Believe You Can Do It! :hug:

travelchick 01-30-2006 07:53 PM

Hi there....I totally agree....you will see all shapes, sizes and ages. I began on January 2nd this year, and just weighed and measured. I've lost 15 pounds and 12 inches. I'm very pleased. I've been doing their weight loss class and I seem to be doing fine. I actually miss it on days that I can't go (which seems really wacky, since I'm not an exercise person)!
Wishing you all well!

FenwayPark 01-31-2006 09:57 AM

Hi there. This is my first post on this forum. :)

I joined Curves this month (January 2006). There are all types of woman who go to my Curves. Skinny, overweight, short, tall, young and old. I've yet to see or hear anybody judging others. The women go there to work out and to chat. I've noticed that the women who work there try to bring you into the conversation that may be going on. Sometimes I join in and sometimes (like last night when I was having a kick-butt awesome workout) I don't. I tend to be in my own zone when I work out. It's like meditation for me.

I joined Curves after a one week trial. Perhaps you can go for 1 week and see if you like it? If you don't, then you'll find some other means of exercising.

I don't know if I've lost any weight or inches because I haven't done my weights or measurments yet. But I do feel better. And the fact that it's .50 miles from my house and it's a 30/40 minute workout, is a plus.

Good luck!

CurvesALot 01-31-2006 12:54 PM

I joined Curves the first time in March of 2004. Loved it but was not consistent and pretty much dropped out, paying my monthly fee for nothing until the contract ran out. Then I joined a non-chain, Curves-type place closer to home, figuring I'd have a better chance of going more often since it was closer and in a strip mall I visited almost daily. Nope! Didn't happen.

That contract expired on 1/6/2006, and I have committed to get healthy and fit this year. I missed Curves and feel their machines offered me a better workout. I just rejoined and am loving it. I never feel self-conscious there, love the upbeat workout music, and find the other women very friendly.

I think it would be easier to have a workout buddy, but so far I've been able to motivate myself and have scheduled my workouts in my organizer just like an appointment -- only the appointment is with myself.

tori34 02-01-2006 08:10 AM

I find that if I don't go directly after work, it is hard to motivate myself to work out. When I get home, I find there are many other activities that need to be done, such as cooking and cleaning LOL.

So for me, consistancy and routine is the key. I have managed to do quite well lately as far as monitoring my calories with the help of myfood diary.com. I think (hope) the combination of curves and counting calories will be my success factor.

I will say this, I was disappointed to see that my curves scale says I weigh 4 more pounds that my home scale...major bummer. I just have one of those cheap wally world scale at home. So I guess I will just weight myself at curves and forget those at home.

Good luck everyone!

Curves4Life 02-01-2006 04:04 PM

I have been a member since November 2005. So far I've lost 20 pounds, lots of inches, and over 3% body fat! I love Curves. You get the cardio and strength training that you need and it's only 30 minutes - which is great for my schedule.
As mentioned - there are women of all shapes and sizes trying to achieve the same goal.

Good Luck!

Jasmin71 02-01-2006 06:55 PM

wow look at all the LOOSERS :D

sandrea91483 02-03-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tori34
I will say this, I was disappointed to see that my curves scale says I weigh 4 more pounds that my home scale...major bummer. I just have one of those cheap wally world scale at home. So I guess I will just weight myself at curves and forget those at home.

Good luck everyone!

Clothing can also make a difference. I don't know about you, but when I weigh in at home, I take everything off. At Curves, you keep all your clothes on, which can easily add extra pounds.