3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running/Jogging tips? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/7129-running-jogging-tips.html)

Gracenote 07-05-2001 10:20 PM

Running/Jogging tips?

I've recently decided to make running my main exercise for one main reason: Oprah's trainer Bob Greene says it's the exercise with the quickest results. I would much rather do dance workout tapes or swim or even walk, but I want to lose the weight that burdens me.

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with running. Is it really worth it? Does running really produce the quickest results in comparison to other exercises? Should I run daily or alternate between workout tapes?

Whatever advice or knowledge you may have about this subject will surely help me somehow. Thank you :)

Rupertsmom 07-08-2001 12:52 PM

Love Bob Greene. I've read MTC and think his advice is basically sound. Unfortunately, I also think some of his workout advice can be a little "too much" for the average person. (I mean, even Oprah couldn't stick to the regimine he prescribed.) Running will give you a great cardiovascular workout, but in my experience (so far) the best approach to really reshaping the body is to do a combination of cardio with strength training while allowing 1-2 days off a week for rest. That way you'll get the benefits of fat burning along with the building of new muscle mass. If you vary your cardio among a variety of exercises like bicycling, walking, & running, you'll avoid boredom (which is a big factor in keeping me motivated) and will minimize your risk of injury.

I've taken up running over the past year and just ran my first 10K. I'm totally in love with running as a form of exercise but for different reasons than most would expect: the emotional aspects. Yes, it's made me stronger and my physique has changed somewhat through running, but it's the impact on my sense of well-being that keeps me hooked on running. Any sport/exercise that gives you that great feeling is the one you should keep doing - the physical benefits will come through consistent effort. :)

gsc4 07-09-2001 10:58 AM

Yes, running can be very effective for weight loss but if you do not like it you will not continue to do it. The reason many people think running is the "best" for of exercise is because it is simply harder. Generally running pushes your heart to the high end of your training range. And you lose weight simply because you are working harder. It's all about heart rate. If you can get your heart rate that high with other forms of exercise, then they are just as good as running for weight loss.

Don't get me wrong, running is one of my favorites. But I agree with Rupertsmom. You will be better off with a combination of cardio and strength training. You can use running as your cardio, but don't neglect strength training. You should also sprinkle in some dance tapes and walking becasue you enjoy them.

Remember, simply running to lose weight will work in the short term, but in order to keep the weight off you will need to continue exercising forever. If you do not enjoy the exercise, you will stop exercising. You need to find an exercise routine you enjoy and can continue forever.

:cool:

saggy 07-10-2001 10:14 AM

I am interested in running too. How did you guys get started? I can walk a mile in 13-14 minutes. How do I start to incorporate jogging into my program? I know I wouldn't be able to just take off and jog for a half mile. What are your suggestions?
Thanks, Saggy

Rupertsmom 07-10-2001 03:21 PM

Saggy,

Try the Couch to 5K program: http://kicksports.com/new/couch.shtml

It's based on alternating walking and running and is pretty much what I did. Have fun!

ShelleyM 07-11-2001 04:28 PM

Saggy- Thought I'd drop by to put my 2 cents in. I have been running for about 2 years now. When I started, I couldn't run for more that 30 seconds. Go to www.runnersworld.com. They have a new runner's page that has loads of information in it. I now run 3 miles with no problems.

I do agree with the others. You need to do some sort of strength training along with it. The running has not really done anything for my weight, other than making my legs stronger and making me feel better overall. It probably works different for everyone, though. Right now, I have switched to the Body For Life plan, where you only do your cardio 3 days a week, but very intense rather than an endurance thing. I am used to the endurance, so this is quite a switch for me! If you want to know what others think of it, go to Diet Plans Body For Life #10. These people are all doing some form of strength training and cardio.

saggy 07-11-2001 10:57 PM

Shelley, I have been checking the body of life thread. Mrs. Jim is kicking butt. I will definately check out the website you mentioned. Thanks
Saggy

fruitface 07-19-2001 03:12 PM

Fun Run

Grace:
I think the running magazines offer a lot of tips and info on selecting the right shoe to start with. Stretching is very important to avoid injury. That is #1 with me. I am pretty lucky in that I am a normal runner, and am not plagued with injuries. I figure I'll run till I can't anymore.

I do alternate aerobics and weight training with 4 mile runs 2x a week. Be careful in the heat! I run with a small waist pack, so I can put a small water bottle in the back of it, wear sunscreen, shades & a hat. The heat has just been deadly, and my runs have gotten shorter this time of year. Check out running clubs in your area or clinics they are designed to help new runners get started.

Keep goooiiiiinnng!!!