3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Presidential Challenge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/66271-presidential-challenge.html)

Ilene 10-04-2005 08:05 PM

Presidential Challenge

3fatchicks.com has a group in the Presidential Challenge. This is an online exercise accountability program where people can go to record their exercise, and be awarded points and awards for achieving certain fitness goal. It is not an endorsment of any political party, and you will not get any politically themed spam for joining.

If you want to join, simply go to http://www.presidentschallenge.org/index.aspx and then when you register and get to the "My Groups" part enter:

Group ID Number:

Group Member ID/Name:

Whatever you'd like to be know as

Everyone is welcome to join! Group Admin Tealeaf will post an update at the start of every month in the exercise forum telling how the group did the previous month. Please feel free to PM her if you have any questions.

** Please note:

If you are in the Active Lifestyles Program, then you can only earn Active Lifestyle Awards (Tealeaf won about four of them and never figured that out on her own. She thought that after she got enough of them, she'd start working towards her first Bronze. But nope.) You will get 1/5th of a star for each 30 minutes of activity you log a day, unless you are 17 or younger, in which case you must log an hour of activity a day to get part of a star filled in.

If you are in the Active Lifestyles Program and switch over to the Presidential Performance Program, you will be retroactively awarded a Metal award, but it will not show up on the list as an "earned" reward until you actually earn a reward while in that program. For example, Tealeaf was awarded a President's Champions - Bronze when she switched to the Presidential Performance Program in December-05, but for the January-06 recap she was showing as still having an Active Lifestyles award. When you switch to the Presidential Performance Program, you no longer earn stars for daily activity, and your progress is expressed as a percentage of how far you have earned towards your next medal.

If you are in the Presidential Performance Program, there is a 750 daily cap on the number of points it will count towards your goal. From what Tealeaf understands, if you go to the Advanced Performance Presidential Champions Program, all your points count, but it takes more of them to earn a medal.

SweetKisses03 10-15-2005 12:35 AM

I joined and started to track my exercise but I have a question and I couldnt find the answer on there so I hope it sok that I ask here lol

When you add an exercise you've done, it says your "total points" what is that?

Tealeaf 10-15-2005 01:54 AM

Think of points as a numerical tally for the amount of exercise you've entered. Really, the site keeps track of your exercise two ways. One, you do at least 30 minutes a day of something, anything, and you get a fifth of a star. Two, you get points for the things you do. Some activities have a higher point value than others, and different difficulty settings lead to differences in points as well. I think this is real nifty because even if you routinely do more than is needed to get your weekly stars, you're still getting some sort of feedback/reward for going above and beyond.

The points stick around for as long as you are in the program, and it is a running total. You can use the points to see how you compare to others in your group, state, age group, and maybe other filters as well. At the start of each month, I will post a list of the top ten total point earners to date, as well as a list of the top ten point earners for the preceeding month. I will also list the highest award that each member has earned.

I hope this answers your question.

SweetKisses03 10-15-2005 03:17 AM

Awesome.. except when I entered mye exercise for today the star didnt fill out 1/5 of itself and still says I need 5 more days for the week..

Tealeaf 10-15-2005 05:25 AM

Very odd. I looked and saw that you did 35 minutes, so it definately should have counted. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason it might have entered your data into what it considered to be last week. I'm just guessing here.

You might want to play around, tell it you did an hour or something (you can delete this bogus data later) and see if it takes it and gives you a star point, just to see if the program is totally broken for you. Failing that, you can try writing the site's administrator using the "contact us" link. I did this when I was unable to see our group's awards, and the problem got fixed in a few days.

Sorry you are having this problem, and good luck getting it fixed!

SweetKisses03 10-15-2005 05:06 PM

after playing around a bit I discovered that the star wont fill out 1/5th of itself until you've done at least an hour of exercise

Dinahgirl 10-15-2005 08:37 PM

That shouldn't be true, because I have several days when I just did 30 minutes and it filled in 1/5 of the star.

Tealeaf 10-15-2005 11:18 PM

Yep, same here. I've entered 1/2 hour of moderate walking several times to get a star point. Maybe it takes an hour if you put down that you are doing the easiest setting? I dunno.

SweetKisses03 10-16-2005 08:46 PM

Its on moderate

SweetKisses03 10-16-2005 08:46 PM

Its got 60 minutes of that down and still no 1/5th of a star lol

Tealeaf 10-18-2005 01:41 PM

Then it does sound like there is something wrong with your account. You might want to either contact the site's administrator, or start a new account with a slightly different name. Another option, if you are comfortable doing this, is you could PM me your log in information and I can go in as you and play with it myself to see if there something I might be able to catch.

Whatever it is you choose to do, I am sorry you have to do anything and it not working the first time!

MaWhit 01-16-2006 08:31 PM

I joined up. How can I view the activity of other group members?

Tealeaf 01-17-2006 12:33 PM

You can go to the "compare with others" tab, and enter various dates to see how your points rank against others for whatever time period you like. However, only the admin can see individual members points and specific activities.

I do post a monthy recap where I list the names and points of the top ten members overall and for the previous month. I hope this helps!

Katie Bug 01-18-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
One, you do at least 30 minutes a day of something, anything, and you get a fifth of a star.

I've logged two 30 minute workouts and a 45 minute workout in three days, and I still don't have any stars filled in. I played around and added an hour of moderate walking, and it filled in a fifth of a star.

Maybe it has something to do with age? Caryn and I are both under 18, so maybe it requires you to do at least one hour every day instead of 30 minutes before the star is filled. Hmmm..

blues4miles 01-18-2006 06:19 PM

I think it allows you to set your goals when you start...my guess is it's something to do with that. I think 30 mins a day 5 times a week is one of their minimums of goals, saying that you are not already active but are trying to be. Maybe mess around with your profile? See if it's there?