Heart rate monitor

• I have been exercising more often and was considering buying a heart rate monitor. Do any of you have these? If so, do you find them beneficial and easy to use?

Thanks!
  • I used one last fall and winter when I power walked. It was great motivation, and helped me to realize when I was overtraining. I'm not sure why I stopped. I think it was because when I got home, I would forget to take the chest strap off, and I was afraid of wearing the battery down. I'm forgetful that way.

But, overall, I find them very handy.
  • Thanks! I was considering the Mio brand because they are strapless.
  • The one I got was a Polar M32. It was one of the rewards I got from using my credit card, otherwise I might have shopped around. The Polar has a lot of nice features, though, and it is easy to read. It was doubly worth it since I didn't have to pay for it .

I didn't know there are strapless ones. I may have to look into one of those some day. If you end up getting it, let me know how you like it!
  • I bought a Polar fs1 -- I think it's the most basic model. I got it because, like you, I started exercising more, and I wanted to know if I was anywhere near where I was supposed to be or overtraining. I had no luck trying to take my pulse myself. It's really been enlightening and motivating for me. I don't use it everytime I exercise, but maybe once a week or so or if I do a new routine to see how it compares aerobically.

I may eventually buy one that has more bells and whistles, but for now this one's fine.

Dinah