Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #1  
Just Do It!

Default Pins n' Needles!!

I was wondering if anyone had the same prob as me- when I go on the cross trainer or bike for more than five minutes my feet get pins and needles!! I find myself stopping and shaking them out every 5 mins. My shoes are slightly big on me, so there's no restriction there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Is your goal weight to weigh 80 pounds?
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I think that's 80kg.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Phew I wasn't sure cause the height is in imperial measurement.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

On the bike, are you clipped in? If so try to even out your pedal stroke so you're also pulling up not just pushing down. This happens to me, but if I focus on my pedalling I can get it to subside. You might also want to try moving your seat position.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Numb toes were happening to me also when I was running and biking. I discovered I had Morton's Neuroma and orthotics fix the problem...

Diabetes could also cause numbness.

See your doctor to make sure it isn't anything medical...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #7  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Possibly a seat positioning thing; there are nerves in the back of the thigh that can, if constricted, cause that feeling in the calves and feet. Is your seat feeling like it's "cutting into" you?
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

i cant use an elliptical for that reason, I have the same solution on a bike as artsy, I make sure I am at least relaxing on the upstroke.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #9  
Just Do It!

Hey Grrls!!
Sorry haven't replied sooner... pls forgive!!!
Thanks so much for all your help everyone

YEAH its definately not 80 pounds OMG **** no!!! 80kg in Australia is I think roughly 160lbs. I think my bones alone weigh 80lbs!! I will have to try all your solutions- the relaxing on the upstroke is an awesome idea.

Ilene- I haven't checked it out with the docs- although my circulation has always been crap. Could you pls explain Orthotics? ... I think this is a type of shoe, yes? Lost in Translation!! I think next week I will see a doc just to check it out.. I wouldn't have thought of that so thank you! yeah i checked my sugar level and its fine thank goodness!!!

Nikaila- wow I had no idea nerves could come into this as well- i can't really tell what it is- it doesn't really feel like its cutting in... i don't think!! hehe... it feels like when you've had your legs crossed for a long time .. i dunno!! Interesting point you make though.. I'll look into it!!

Artsygirl- by clipped in do you mean the feet? Like the straps on the pedals? In which case yeah... I will definately give your suggestion a go today at workout.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimichanga
Ilene- I haven't checked it out with the docs- although my circulation has always been crap. Could you pls explain Orthotics? ... I think this is a type of shoe, yes? Lost in Translation!! I think next week I will see a doc just to check it out.. I wouldn't have thought of that so thank you! yeah i checked my sugar level and its fine thank goodness!!!
This is what my orthotics look like, the smaller one of the two in the pic, only fits half my foot. It is inserted in your shoes... I only wear mine in my running shoes when I run, my DD wears hers all the time. They are specially made just for your feet. They realign the foot and/or the legs. My DD had sore knees and since wearing them she has no more knee problems. I wear them because my toes were getting numb from running...
Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #11  
Just Do It!

COOL! thanks I'll have to look into what they have over here!

I can just see my paypal tab running as we speak...

Thanks again girl!!!

- - Chimi
Old 01-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #12  
Just Do It!

Hey y'all,

Just tested something out on the stepper today, when each step does one full rotation to the top, I pushed down more with my heel than with my toe- and VOILA! Problem gone!! Every time I could feel the pins n needles coming back I did that and it disappeared, well temporarily. So yay!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimichanga View Post
Hey y'all,

Just tested something out on the stepper today, when each step does one full rotation to the top, I pushed down more with my heel than with my toe- and VOILA! Problem gone!! Every time I could feel the pins n needles coming back I did that and it disappeared, well temporarily. So yay!
That's a great solution!! I hope it keeps up and that that's all it was...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #14  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

That should do the trick on the spin bike as well. Good luck.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #15  

Very common problem. Usually due to pressure on the ball of the foot irritating the nerves that go into the toes. make sure your shoes are professionally fit and use good OTC arch supports in your shoes. If you still have problems, see a podiatrist.
Seattle Podiatrist is offline   Reply With Quote